Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2016 Word - Recovery

• 21-12-2018 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have Microsoft word 2016.

I have a file ive been updating for a year or so. Lots of info in it. called 2018
    Now that 2019 year is starting, deleted more a less all on the info on file 2018 and did a 'Save as' to 2019 ( or so I thought)

BUT im a clown, and made a balls of it, the 'save as' I did, I somehow managed to not change the file name.
    So I have one file now - the 2018 one and more a less all the info has been wiped.

Is there a way to recover a previous version of a word file from say 8 hours ago.

also, note, in advanced word options, I have not get this ticked 'always create backup copy'

so cannot do the right click on the file > properties > previous versions

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Search for .tmp files, there may be a trace of the old file here.

I'm presuming you dont have auto backups that you can roll back your system to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭obi604

thanks, searched .tmp files and nothing there
    no, dont have that auto backup thing

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

See the info on where Word keeps it temp files here.

CatInABox wrote: »
    See the info on where Word keeps it temp files here.

had a quick gander there.

the stuff in the link refers to finding an 'auto' saved file that may be 10 minutes or so old.

then trying to get at unsaved files

my situation is a bit different than that.

trying to get at a previous version of the file from hours ago or even yesterday etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't get me started on Word.

Back in the 1980's all word processor programs saved backup copies of documents. But Microsoft stopped doing that a long time ago because WT actual F??

In future make sure you DISABLE quick save and ENABLE Always Make Backup Copy.

When you reach a milestone always use Save As to save a new the file a new name. This was the default on VAX back in the 1980's Filename.Ext;RevisionNumber
    Microsoft didn't copy that feature.

IF and it's a huge IF, you have a version of windows that supports it and your IT people are clued in then there is a small chance you have Previous Versions enabled. If so then right click on the file and "Restore Previous Version"

Other options - if the file is broken use LibreOffice to open it. Third party apps are better at opening broken microsoft files , and that goes back to Lotus-123

if all else fails you could use photorec to try and find all previous word files and save to external drive. only if all else fails, it takes time and you will have an insane amount of false positives to vet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Were you saving the file to Onedrive or dropbox? If so there's a previous files option that could allow you to roll back the file.

Were you saving the file to Onedrive or dropbox? If so there's a previous files option that could allow you to roll back the file.

Hi. To neither unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Any chance:
    you have "File History" enabled on your computer?
    you have mailed this document?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

any chance you have shadow copies enabled?

https://www.wintips.org/restore-deleted-files-using-shadow-copy/

when did you last backup if ever? where was the file saved - locally, a network drive, an external device etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Do you have a hard copy (printout) of the file?

If so, you could scan and OCR it to get the data into a format that would allow you to recreate the file.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement