Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why can't we leave the clocks on summertime year round?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Problem is, the Italians will take 2 hours for lunch anyway, if you try calling them.
    And maybe their right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Health and Safety - transport workers.

• Bob_Marley wrote: »
    I don't think winter time needs to start as early in the winter as it does, and finish in the spring so late.

This. The US has a shorter period of winter time than we do.

As an interest, would people who suffer from SAD, have a view?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Water John wrote: »
    Problem is, the Italians will take 2 hours for lunch anyway, if you try calling them.
    And maybe their right.
    LOL

Once you start getting to the hotter part everything already shuts down for three or four hours in the middle of the day.

• Advertisement

Ha, Italy is very hot, all year round. PITA to do business with.
    Read a few years ago that the EU were trying to do away with the Siesta, in Southern Spain. But that could be another UK/Boris porkie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Health and Safety - transport workers.
    I never understood this argument.

The most dangerous time is dawn/dusk where there's too much daylight drowning out reflectors and all but the brightest artificial lights that cyclists or pedestrians would use and blinding sun low on the horizon.

Also it's a road safety truism that things that appear dangerous make drivers slow down and are safer. Reduced visibility or uncertainty over road conditions are such things.

Most schoolchildren get driven to school.
    Farmers and forestry and construction use daylight regardless of what it says on the clock.

In winter I'd like to see the sun. This BS of going into work in the dark and coming home in the dark just companies can save money on providing light has to stop. For me an earlier start would mean I'd be able to get some daylight while I wasn't on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I never understood this argument.

The most dangerous time is dawn/dusk where there's too much daylight drowning out reflectors and all but the brightest artificial lights that cyclists or pedestrians would use and blinding sun low on the horizon.

Also it's a road safety truism that things that appear dangerous make drivers slow down and are safer. Reduced visibility or uncertainty over road conditions are such things.

Most schoolchildren get driven to school.
    Farmers and forestry and construction use daylight regardless of what it says on the clock.

In winter I'd like to see the sun. This BS of going into work in the dark and coming home in the dark just companies can save money on providing light has to stop. For me an earlier start would mean I'd be able to get some daylight while I wasn't on the clock.

Says captain midnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭starlit

It would be great but don’t Know how well time change will go with brexit with conflicting times in The republic and in the north if the EU puts a new rule in about changing the clocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

starlit wrote: »
    It would be great but don’t Know how well time change will go with brexit with conflicting times in The republic and in the north if the EU puts a new rule in about changing the clocks.

Let that be Britain's problem to deal with.

Bring on April 2019!!

https://www.rte.ie/news/europe/2018/0912/993364-clock-change/

Interesting that the Eu's survey wasn't far off our own little survey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Summer and winter times are only a psychological trick anyway, you could use the same timezone the whole year round and just get up earlier in the summer start earlier in work and enjoy the long evenings.

Not if you have set hours you can't.

• Not if you have set hours you can't.
    Depends on who sets the hours and why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Depends on who sets the hours and why.

That's my point. A lot of people have no control over the hours they work. They get set hours with no flexibility in start/finish times. Itis all very well to say "just go in an hour earlier", but the majority of people can't that. If the whole country is going to get up an hour earlier, public transports has to start an hour earlier. Schools, Colleges, shops, Government offices, GP surgeries, factories etc. etc. will all have to open an hour earlier. We might as well just put the clocks forward an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Usually people go on about farmers being the reason for this. I really detest it. Dark at 5pm, it's horrible. I kind of like dark mornings however. If it is to do with farmers, can't they just adjust their working days?

Better still, get the cattle to adjust their ways.

• That's my point. A lot of people have no control over the hours they work. They get set hours with no flexibility in start/finish times. Itis all very well to say "just go in an hour earlier", but the majority of people can't that. If the whole country is going to get up an hour earlier, public transports has to start an hour earlier. Schools, Colleges, shops, Government offices, GP surgeries, factories etc. etc. will all have to open an hour earlier. We might as well just put the clocks forward an hour.
    Flexibility is the name of the game , and it is entirely in the control of the management.
    Who says that a business has to start at a certain time, when it makes more sense to start later or earlier in the day.
    As for transport, if the demand is there, they will extend their operating hours, it would have the bonus of reducing "rush hour" congestion.

• feargale wrote: »
    Better still, get the cattle to adjust their ways.
    That's what they do now, after a lot of howling when their feed arrive one hour later.
    no complaints when it is one hour early though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

We use Irish standard time (IST) in summer despite what you said. That’s UTC+1 but it is the standard time. Our summer time is the standard time. In winter we are IST-1...........

It's only GMT with a bit added on just to be different
    - bit like Gaelic football - haven't invented some new type of time

• https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-45995634
    Morocco has decided to scrap winter time and will instead keep its clocks at summer time, GMT+1, all year around.

The announcement comes less than two days before the clocks would have gone back by one hour on Sunday.

Avoiding the switch would save "an hour of natural light", Administrative Reform Minister Mohammed Ben Abdelkader told Maghreb Arabe Press.

The north African nation joins a number of others, mainly in Africa and Asia, which do not use daylight saving.

Technically speaking, they're staying on daylight saving time.

Could be very interesting on Monday morning to see how many didn't get the message to cancel the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

There used to be a time ball on the ballast office on the Quays which was on GMT for shipping, 25 minutes ahead of Dunsink time. It is mentioned in Ulysses: Episode 8, as Bloom crosses O'Connell bridge heading South:

Mr Bloom moved forward, raising his troubled eyes. Think no more about that. After one. Timeball on the ballastoffice is down. Dunsink time. Fascinating little book that is of sir Robert Ball's. Parallax. I never exactly understood. There's a priest. Could ask him. Par it's Greek: parallel, parallax.

You can see the time ball in this photo at the National Library of Ireland:
    https://flic.kr/p/QFGMjy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

gctest50 wrote: »
    It's only GMT with a bit added on just to be different
    - bit like Gaelic football - haven't invented some new type of time

Who the Fcuk is saying we invented a new form of time. I was pointing out that summer time is standard time not winter time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I enjoy the time change and listening to the "only mom's would understand" types coming on crab faced because their little precious preciouses are all confused and dont understand that they need to stay in bed the extra hour.

The Dunsink Time was dropped in 1916 but Ulysses is set in 1904.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭ozmo

Soo. - Have your say officially...

Irish Consultation is ending end this month:

Im voting for Summertime always no matter what UK do - and hope they follow suit and ditch it also.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Consultation_on_Seasonal_Clock_Changes

Have your say - Consultation on Seasonal Clock Changes closes on 30th November 2018

The Link on that page to the actual survey is ->
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Consultation_on_Seasonal_Clock_Changes

r1myhl.jpg

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Anyone advocating for year-round summertime is a madman when you look at that half 9 sunrise in winter 🤦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Anyone advocating for year-round summertime is a madman when you look at that half 9 sunrise in winter 🤦

Dark when I get up and go to work in depth of winter anyway, makes no odds.

But that might be what you meant by madman. Should opt for dole perhaps or inherit some rolling country estate?

• TheChrisD wrote: »
    Anyone advocating for year-round summertime is a madman when you look at that half 9 sunrise in winter ��

Sunrise at 4am in the middle of June is useless to most people in this country if we stayed on winter time all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

TheChrisD wrote: »

Who cares, you'll be in or on the way to work the majority of the time anyway.

Think of all the summer events that may be curtailed because of the darker evenings?

You'd be a madman to shorten the daylight hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Hope it's permanent Summertime from next March.It would be lovely to have that extra brightness in the evenings immediately after Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Summertime for me too, though either would be good.

Definitely wouldn't worry about it being dark to hear half 9 for a short while, anyone that's going to be up and out will be gone before half 8 as it is anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Hope it's permanent Summertime from next March.It would be lovely to have that extra brightness in the evenings after immediately after Christmas.

As long as you don't mind it not being bright till well after 9am around the shortest day.

Advertisement