Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Allstars

• 24-10-2012 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Yo guy's

Must say I'm having a blast with the Beta. Some things are seriously over powered at the moment :P Hellgast sniper rifle I'm looking at you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

As a Smash Bros fan, I'm interested in playing this, but I'm not sure how I'm going to feel about it.

It's a "platform based 'mascot' fighting game with easy inputs" so that sounds the same so far.

Where it massively differs is in the mechanics and "win condition".

Smash Bros: Hit opponents to do damage, ring out opponents to win. Opponents at higher damage are progressively easier to ring out. Opponents at 0% damage are functionally impossible to instantly kill (outside of some of the crazier items); so the "danger state" of attacker and victim lies with the victim (since they carry the %).

PSAS: Hit opponents to build super metre. Kills are only with supers. No damage. No ring outs. "Danger state" of attacker and victim lies squarely with the attacker (specifically their super metre), and the only status change in the victim is "alive" or "dead".

It might not seem like it to a non-Smash player, but these games seem COMPLETELY different to me.

The Smash "come back factor" was always about surviving at high damage % as long as you could; and a lot of mid-to-high level play came down to the mindgames of edgeguarding: Where one player knocks another off the stage but not enough to outright kill them. The attacker has to prevent them from getting back to the stage, while the victim has to try and "fake out" their angle of re-entry to get back at any cost.

Since none of that will be present in PSAS I have no idea what it will feel like to play, and if I'll personally like it as a Smash Bros alternative.

It's funny that most of the internet is complaining this looks like a Smash Bros copy, and I find myself wishing they'd copied it MORE

At least it can't be any more disappointing than Brawl :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

As a Smash Bros fan, I'm interested in playing this, but I'm not sure how I'm going to feel about it.

It's a "platform based 'mascot' fighting game with easy inputs" so that sounds the same so far.

Where it massively differs is in the mechanics and "win condition".

Smash Bros: Hit opponents to do damage, ring out opponents to win. Opponents at higher damage are progressively easier to ring out. Opponents at 0% damage are functionally impossible to instantly kill (outside of some of the crazier items); so the "danger state" of attacker and victim lies with the victim (since they carry the %).

PSAS: Hit opponents to build super metre. Kills are only with supers. No damage. No ring outs. "Danger state" of attacker and victim lies squarely with the attacker (specifically their super metre), and the only status change in the victim is "alive" or "dead".

It might not seem like it to a non-Smash player, but these games seem COMPLETELY different to me.

The Smash "come back factor" was always about surviving at high damage % as long as you could; and a lot of mid-to-high level play came down to the mindgames of edgeguarding: Where one player knocks another off the stage but not enough to outright kill them. The attacker has to prevent them from getting back to the stage, while the victim has to try and "fake out" their angle of re-entry to get back at any cost.

Since none of that will be present in PSAS I have no idea what it will feel like to play, and if I'll personally like it as a Smash Bros alternative.

It's funny that most of the internet is complaining this looks like a Smash Bros copy, and I find myself wishing they'd copied it MORE

At least it can't be any more disappointing than tripping in Brawl :pac:

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

If this just stole the Smash Bros KO system I'd be interested. The current method of only supers can KO doesn't appeal to me

FYP

I had more problems with Brawl than the tripping (this isn't the topic for that though). It was just the most stupidly obvious problem. Never before has a new feature seemed like such a massive "FU!" to the fans.

For a game so focused on fun and customised game types, the really baffling thing about tripping was that they didn't let you play around with the chance for it to happen in the options. Let the competitive players turn it off, let the casual guys have custom game types where it's at 50%-75% for the laugh. I think that would have been really cool.
    GorySnake wrote: »
    If this just stole the Smash Bros KO system I'd be interested. The current method of only supers can KO doesn't appeal to me

My first instinct is to agree with you, but I'd at least like to play it first before making my mind up.

It's unlikely this game will appeal to our inner Melee fanboys, but it's not impossible...

Unless this game has sausage resets, it won't have a patch on Melee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Valormeer

I pretty much go over my feelings in the video but I have Part 2 being uploaded tonight. Having a blast with it tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Force_Edge

This is public beta now isn't it? I've got the update but I can't find the beta anywhere, how do i get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Valormeer

Yo You can only play PS Allstars if you have Playstation plus activated

Part 2 of the video btw

Valormeer but have you got a text summary of your thoughts expressed in the video?

Not to sound cheeky but the two parts combined is 35 minutes which is way too long of a time commitment for me to watch purely on faith and knowing nothing about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Force_Edge

It's available to everyone now but you still have to go to playstation plus to find it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 bushihead

I played the beta of this (this is the last day for it :( ) and was a bit disappointed. I love the idea of it but I think the fighting is too disorganised right now. Every attack seems to send you flying and it feels like you can't take advantage of good positioning etc. I might just need practice but I don't think so. You just find people spamming their most effective attack over and over. Sly will be using his electric thing, Kratos his side and square pull you to him thing, radec either his triangle or side triangle shots... And they all send you flying.

That is my main problem, every attack sending you flying break ups the flow of the fights horrendously imho. The most blantant flow-breaker is Parappa. His level 3 ult is stupid purely because you know the outcome of it. Everyone dies once. Yet you have to sit there looking at him. It's not like he is trying to time button-presses to get more of you or anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I might pick this up now that I own a PS3. The roster still really doesn't interest me very much though, and that's a vital part of a crossover game like this. Playing Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed has shown me how amazingly rich Sega's backlog of characters is. It's a shame Playstation All-Stars couldn't deliver a similar pool.

They did announce a few days ago that DLC characters are incoming early next year, and they'll be free for the first two weeks (You should be able to download them for free even if you don't own the game yet). That's an interesting marketing model considering most DLC sales taper off after the first week or two after release.

The first two DLC characters are Kat from Gravity Rush and... that main character guy from Starhawk, who apparently has a name. Emmet or something.

Even though she's not a terribly iconic character, I'd be very interested in Kat. Hopefully they do interesting things with her gravity manipulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Kitten is a pretty cool character, if she wasn't on Vita she might stand a chance of being remembered.
    gravity-rush-mx.jpg

This is out now, and a lot of reviews have dropped online.

I read a few, but they were so stupid I'm disregarding them all.

If anyone wants to have a PSAS casuals at the XGC anytime, let me know and I'll come along (I don't have a PS3, so this would be the only way to play this).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

This is out now, and a lot of reviews have dropped online.

I read a few, but they were so stupid I'm disregarding them all.

You'd think by this stage the websites would make sure to have 1 guy on board who understands fighting games. I read one review of MvC3 (I think IGN it was) where a major complaint was the size of the second character at the start of a fight before they jump out. Yeah, that .025 of a second clip of them jumping out that everyone skips really destroys the gameplay.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

That joystiq review of Vanilla MvC3 where the reviewer said Arthur was broken beyond belief because he was safe after a full screen super <3

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    That joystiq review of Vanilla MvC3 where the reviewer said Arthur was broken beyond belief because he was safe after a full screen super <3

Yeah, I remember reading that one pre-release and being angry, and that's with me not even knowing anything about the game.
    "Another broken newcomer is Arthur. His limitless well of projectiles (seen in the video above) ensures that most characters can't get near him. He can throw daggers, javelins, holy water, axes and just about anything else you've seen in the Ghosts 'n Goblins games. He's easily the best keep-away character in the preview build, but it's incredibly frustrating that there's no check or balance for his tactics. Let's add that to the list of tweaks needed in the final game, Capcom

Sometimes I mash buttons and win; other times I try to play it technical and get crushed. I can't strike a consistent balance, and that's frustrating for someone who has been playing fighting games since the genre came to be.

Since the genre came to be?

Good god shut up.

/rage

But yeah, the PSAS reviews are annoying me for the same reason.
    See if someone can find one that doesn't use the term "serious fighter".

The review has so many amazing lines. A personal favourite
    The best thing about Marvel vs Capcom 2 is that as chaotic as it is, it works -- it never feels blatantly unfair, or that you've lost a match before it's even started because of the opposing lineup.

I would say MvC2 is one game where if you don't pick one of 5-7 characters you're a goner against someone who has done just that.
    The problem can be partially attributed to the nonexistent recovery times in the preview build. Every character seemed to recover immediately, with no stunned period. Marvel vs Capcom 3 runs steady at a 60-frames-per-second clip, and I'm pretty sure everyone recovers in a single frame: I can get hit by a Super only to recover from it and unleash my own Super before my opponent's animation ends -- and my attack can't be blocked in that window. That's silly.
    LOL

Only thing I can say in his defense was that it was a PREview.

I played a lot of Marvel 3 preview builds in my previous job though, and it didn't feel any different from the completed product....

That review came out quite close to the release if I'm wrong. At that point, the game would have gone golden and the build he had was probably very close if not idetical to the finished product. Pure speculation of course, and off topic. >_>

As for PSAS, not much interest atm, but you'd never know. Given that I had 0 interest in MvC3 til I played it in casuals I don't count anything out anymore!

• Advertisement

Since the genre came to be?

Good god shut up.

/rage

He mustn't have picked any character with a teleport.

Ugh. €60. That's a little steep for me to sink into a game I'm not hugely sold on already.

Kat and Emmet get their first looks over on Playstation Blog

Kat can use use gravity manipulation to pull herself and her opponents around the stage and primarily uses kicks. She's also been watching some MvC3 and has learned Gravity Squeeze as one of her supers.
    8242052681_91c330b314_z.jpg

Emmet can swap between two weapon loadouts. Slow, long range and heavy hitting or quick and short range. He can also call in a Hawk for a super like Bowser's Smash Attack.

8242052545_60067dace0_z.jpg

There's a new stage too. This is one thing I really love about All-Stars. The awesome mash-up stages.
    This one is Heavenly Sword and Wipeout. It's starts off on top of that stone pillar from HS, but as the fight goes on stray fire from a Wipeout race causes it to collapse onto the racetrack.
    8243120866_12f301e0f6_z.jpg
    8242053449_239b0b3d5d_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

was playing this a xgc with lar on wed, this game is mega fun man

was playing this a xgc with lar on wed, this game is mega fun man

I'd definitely try it out at casuals. I don't have a PS3 so it's my only opportunity.

Advertisement