Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laggy monitors and the future of the irish fighting game scene

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

So does the resolution need to be changed on:
    • The monitors
    • The consoles
    • Both

and to what for each?

The different chair thing is killer. My new couch is far lower down than my old couch, and I wasn't able to make quarter-circle motions without jumping all over the place. I had to go grab a high backed wooden chair from the kitchen to be able to play properly.

I've only ever had problems position wise on stick, on pad I can play fine no matter what angle or seat or w/e (obviously within reason :pac: ). I've been playing pad 100% recently so I guess it's a plus. Of course stick requires more arm movement etc

But doesn't TV lag affect your combos too? I guess not as much as anti airing or footsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ogiekeaney

the one time i played in xgc i found it to be rediculously laggy. took me around an 3 hours to get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭chunkis

The montiors at the doc lag and they need to be changed so we need to find a way to create funding to replace them, all the testing in the world isn`t going to change the fact that they lag.

and lol@ some of the comments with regards to lag and where people sit home ect, i thought you guys were a little crasy, but now i think your all mental lol. And just for the record lag has nothing to do with where you sit, just to be clear lol

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

chunkis wrote: »
    And just for the record lag has nothing to do with where you sit, just to be clear lol

Perceived/imagined lag does(which is often the case). Due to people being out of their comfort zone and so on.

Also the debate on the monitors is pretty much pointless. Someone just check the lag, via one of the recommended methods, next time there's a chance.

They lag vs they don't lag is going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

chunkis wrote: »
    And just for the record lag has nothing to do with where you sit, just to be clear lol
    ITT chunkis ignores all other possibilities for him losing at games except for the fault of the equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

A bad worker always blames their tools...

The monitor Chunkis listed has 11ms of input lag, so thats 1ms less than the Inferno monitors or 0.0625 of a frame.
    At 12ms, those monitors have .72 of a frame of lag over a CRT.
    If a few people were to check the setups before a competition starts I'm sure it would resolve any lag issue.

What resolution should the xbox's be set to?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

Lets just make sure all the monitors in the exchange are set up correctly for the next tournament and then judge it off that.

The Hound vs Doom monitor was crap, i played on it a couple of times that day and it sucked, everything felt heavy and it was a problem. Hound told me himself he thought the monitor was bad................ fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

ogiekeaney wrote: »
    the one time i played in xgc i found it to be rediculously laggy. took me around an 3 hours to get used to it.

Was that for the team tourny? I think I remember you being at that. If so, that was due to an experimental direct-record setup that myself and sisko were testing. That was seriously laggy but not representative of xgc monitors in general.

If I've got the wrong person, ignore me!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭LIFETRAP

At the next tournament or whatever event it would be an idea to lower the prize money or only pay out to first place and keep money to put towards new monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

ayjayirl wrote: »
    If, as Chopper has mentioned, the lag is 12ms then I challenge anyone to notice less than 1 frame of lag - and consider the following (http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/index.php) Test your response times lads! 12ms - gimmie a break.

12ms is very good, but saying its completely negligible is ridiculous. The issue with lag isn't dropping combos, its reacting to you opponent, and that 12ms will always be added to whatever your own reactions are.
    There will always be borderline cases where you miss a whiff punish by 1 frame due to those 12ms, games can be won or lost on those situations.

If its in any way viable, I think 1 or 2 crt's for the later stages of our tournaments would be brilliant, but if not, 12ms is still pretty good going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

The monitors have a sticker saying 1440x900 on them so that's what I set them to. You get black bars for some reason but it doesn't seem to lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    The monitors have a sticker saying 1440x900 on them so that's what I set them to. You get black bars for some reason but it doesn't seem to lag.

1440x900 is 16:10
    The games run in 16:9 so 1366x768 would the closest full screen ratio, but as its not the native resolution, the monitor has to do some magic to make it fit nicely which would probably cause lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Guess ye should just deal with the black bars then lads. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i think everyone needs to calm down, this isnt third strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Well at least now we everyone will know if it doesnt have black borders its at the wrong resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ogiekeaney

animaX wrote: »
    Was that for the team tourny? I think I remember you being at that. If so, that was due to an experimental direct-record setup that myself and sisko were testing. That was seriously laggy but not representative of xgc monitors in general.

If I've got the wrong person, ignore me!

jeez, someone has a good memory. yes i remember apologizing to you for that chip death with a full screen blanka ball.it was so laggy that i dont think you had time to react. my apology did come off as a bit absurd though.

I did find the other screens laggy also, it put off my tech throws, electricity combos etc...... And I certainly didnt imagine it or was using it as an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Placebo wrote: »
    i think everyone needs to calm down, this isnt third strike.

Yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

I think everyone should panic, we're not playing third strike!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Voa wrote: »
    Yet.

You. I want to get into that stupid game you like.

Do you have BB on the 360?

Does anyone?