Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Upstairs" previously called Diva

Options
  • 13-04-2011 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Anyone know about the new bar opened beside the beach house. Think it used to be diva. Is it a niteclub or late bar or both?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Upstairs.
    Its a late bar of sorts.
    Its more above than beside.

It hasn't changed much in layout and the floor still feels like its about to fall in.:D

Its grand though.
    Wear shoes as distinct from runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭woodsy2

Apparently it's over 23s though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

woodsy2 wrote: »
    Apparently it's over 23s though :(

Great - might go so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 threetrouts

Its called upstairs-- over 25s when l was last saturday it was a fiver cover charge closes 2.30 . It was 35 to 55 age group great atmosphere though 6.10 a pint of guiness.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

dubsgirl wrote: »
    Great - might go so :D
    6.10 a pint of guiness.

On second thoughts. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Its called upstairs

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

€6.10 for a pint of stout, seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 threetrouts

Aw lads and lassies stop complaining how many nights have you gone out to the burnaby to be kicked out at 12.30 to 1.a.m. and then wished you had another venue to go to. Well we must give this place the benefit of the doubt a fiver in a few more cents for a pint.I welcome their initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

What music are they playing? - with an age range like that, it must be some classic 70-80's tunes!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Aw lads and lassies stop complaining how many nights have you gone out to the burnaby to be kicked out at 12.30 to 1.a.m. and then wished you had another venue to go to. Well we must give this place the benefit of the doubt a fiver in a few more cents for a pint.I welcome their initiative.

This is Greystones, not Temple Bar.

That is a crazy price for a pint and i for one will not be paying it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

IF they didn't have the cover charge, then I'd have less worries about spending over €6 on a pint. Having the cover charge and Temple Bar prices is cynical at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,797 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

how much is the cover charge?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    how much is the cover charge?
    A fiver according to threetrouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Lets all go down and pay our fiver in then order glasses of tap water...that'll show them they can't prey on drunks.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

jaysus, the theatre in its brief day used to charge a fiver a pint and there was f##ckin uproar...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 doylerd

Ha ha 6.10 a pint of Guinness, brilliant. How much is a pint of lager?!

Self-destructive greed always amazes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

doylerd wrote: »
    Ha ha 6.10 a pint of Guinness, brilliant. How much is a pint of lager?!

Self-destructive greed always amazes.

gotta agree, i dont see this place lasting too long if they intend charging rip off prices.... do they think its 2006!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

jobless wrote: »
    gotta agree, i dont see this place lasting too long if they intend charging rip off prices.... do they think its 2006!

I think you'll find they will do well with the high prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

What sort of music is played and how much for other drinks beside Guinness? Then I can decide I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tiradon

I went up once during the first couple of weeks and I actually really liked the place. I was, however, dismayed at the cover charge (albeit only €5) as well as the prices. I haven't been since but not because I am specifically avoiding the place, it's just I see no major incentive to go in the first place with the cost of it - €17 for a couple of pints and entry in. The place will probably do okay given that it has no real direct local competition but I'm just fed up being fleeced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 doylerd

Tiradon wrote: »
    I went up once during the first couple of weeks and I actually really liked the place. I was, however, dismayed at the cover charge (albeit only €5) as well as the prices. I haven't been since but not because I am specifically avoiding the place, it's just I see no major incentive to go in the first place with the cost of it - €17 for a couple of pints and entry in. The place will probably do okay given that it has no real direct local competition but I'm just fed up being fleeced.

Well there's the problem - no competition, but wasn't that always the way with Greystones? LauTrex in its various guises was surely always a gold mine, but I didn't go there because of its beauty, I went there because the next stop would be Bray.

Having said that, of course one of the reasons booze prices got so out of control over the past few years (and have of course been very sticky coming down) is because people just paid up and didn't vote with their feet.

I maintain that this new place will see virtually unanimous voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Was there a few weeks ago with the girlies and really liked it.
    Mind you we aren't young wans anymore and we had a table booked, nice music, nice atmosphere etc.
    2 cocktails 12euro .. Ye can't go wrong on a girlie night out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

something's not right if two cocktails are cheaper than two pints of Guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Charlieville

I was there on Saturday night - it was a fiver in but the drinks didn't seem any more expensive than downstairs in The Beach House. It deffo didn't seem over 25's or 23's - coz there were quite a few 18'ish year olds dressed up to the nines but also plenty of older people too. It was fairly busy too - I'd say it's gonna keep getting busier the more word gets around. I found it very handy for some late drinks without the hassles of getting home!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Sticky Fingers

I have been here a couple of times and I really like the place. I thought the alcohol prices were about right for the venue and the atmosphere is great. I tried to get in the last time that Aja were playing, but I left it too late and couldn't get in, the place was jumping. So it's getting very popular which is great for Greystones, we need places like this here in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

What kind of capacity does the place have ? It strikes me as not too big which would indicate why the prices are sky high. Lower footfall = lower overall consumption = higher prices to cover margin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

What kind of capacity does the place have ? It strikes me as not too big which would indicate why the prices are sky high. Lower footfall = lower overall consumption = higher prices to cover margin!

mmmmmm.....flawed logic. If it was true then the price of a pint in the O2 and the new landsdown would be really really cheap! :)

In the end the market will decide and if the cost of drinks becomes a big issue to people they will vote with thier feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Drewmagoo

Its called upstairs-- over 25s when l was last saturday it was a fiver cover charge closes 2.30 . It was 35 to 55 age group great atmosphere though 6.10 a pint of guiness.

I've been to this pub afew times it's a great place. It's 4.60 Upstairs for a Guiness and 4.40 Downstairs in the lounge. I don't know where you got 6.10 from.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

I think its great. As an alternative to going to Bray its amazing. I used to drink in script/woodlands/greystones inn because I wanted a third option in Greystones. In the same way I supported Cafe De Fiore because I wanted the amenity to survive. Imo any calculation on prices at Upstairs should be viewed with consideration of the price of a taxi to bray and back and a potential cover charge there. Add in to the mix the breathtaking amount of scumbags in bray and I will happily stay in our lovely town. Btw I have been to upstairs a good few times and didn't think the prices were out of line for late drinking, tho I wouldn't quibble over 20-30 cents a drink if it pays for the security to keep the riff raff out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement