Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Flooding at Charlesland" - Wicklow Times

Options
  • 11-04-2009 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I read on page 10 of the Wicklow Times (7th April Edition) that there is a risk of flooding in Charlesland. It mentions dredging upstream of Charlesland Court and reading between the lines this would mean a greater risk to those of us (I am in C Wood) below that point.

It also says the drains are blocked! Another massive risk. (Why are they not being unblocked?)

Remember that it is not only proximity to the stream that can be the problem as in many flooding instances the drains back up and water will flow out of the drains flooding the area.

Anyone else concerned? A flooded house is a disaster. Is there anything we can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

FirstIn wrote: »
    Folks,

I read on page 10 of the Wicklow Times (7th April Edition) that there is a risk of flooding in Charlesland. It mentions dredging upstream of Charlesland Court and reading between the lines this would mean a greater risk to those of us (I am in C Wood) below that point.

It also says the drains are blocked! Another massive risk. (Why are they not being unblocked?)

Remember that it is not only proximity to the stream that can be the problem as in many flooding instances the drains back up and water will flow out of the drains flooding the area.

Anyone else concerned? A flooded house is a disaster. Is there anything we can do?

i would take anything written in that newspaper with a pinch of salt. i don't know whether that problem exists or not but that paper would print anything to get a shock factor and then ask the local shinner for a quote on what he thinks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Any link to the article?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

happyhappy wrote: »
    i would take anything written in that newspaper with a pinch of salt. i don't know whether that problem exists or not but that paper would print anything to get a shock factor and then ask the local shinner for a quote on what he thinks of it.

A little unfair. Are you sure you're not confusing the Wicklow Times with the Bray/Wicklow People? It may be a free paper, but it certainly seems of far higher journalistic quality than the INM rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

RayM wrote: »
    A little unfair. Are you sure you're not confusing the Wicklow Times with the Bray/Wicklow People? It may be a free paper, but it certainly seems of far higher journalistic quality than the INM rag.
    Same paper announced that Tesco Greystones was closing down for a couple of years for refurbishment.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

That paper makes it from my front door straight to the recycling bin every week. Constant doom and gloom with noting worth reading at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

RayM wrote: »

i'm not confusing it. it has the same journalistic standard as the other paper you mention but at least the other apaers give a slightly more balanced view on things in the area. this paper gives a massive doom & gloom headline, and then 15 small articles about what the local sinn fein councillor thinks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Folks, can we please stick to the subject, i.e "Flooding at Charlesland".

Thank You

• Registered Users Posts: 46 avantarklu

FirstIn wrote: »
    Folks,

The Residents Committee for the Wood has been in contact with Greystones Town Council regarding the current state of the Three Trout Stream. I believe the Council responded very quickly and took immediate action, clearing the stream along the length of the Court & Wood.

Advertisement