Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MS Teams

• 26-03-2020 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,203 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else using Microsoft Teams for teaching.
    Gotta couple Q

Management has decided to disable the chat function in Teams, so students without microphones can no longer contribute to class which is another headache to figure out.

But I have a couple of issues that people may know solutions too.

1) is there a way to end the meeting, when the class is over. It seems I can manually boot them all out, but they can rejoin if they wish. Also, if I leave the meeting, all students remain.

2) another staff member had a problem where her students kept muting her during the class, cant see an option to solve that?

3)management removed all staff admin access, so, we can no longer remove students posts and groups are now set on Teacher can post only.

Wriggle the company that behind admin control have been
    incredibly slow to solve these issues.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

• Registered Users Posts: 12,203 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Vico1612 wrote: »

Cheers. Seems odd they left the option to end a meeting #1, from an educational point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Management in a friends school have insisted on being added to each class group, citing child protection reasons because there's a camera function or something. Anybody else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Management in a friends school have insisted on being added to each class group, citing child protection reasons because there's a camera function or something. Anybody else?
    Sounds sensible. I’m not doing any webcam stuff, but if I was, I would want this, just to cover myself.
    I don’t think it’s practical for them to actually monitor it, but I’d want it anyway.

Never heard of this. Seems odd. Probably just to make sure you are actually teaching. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Not happening in my school anyway although i think most teachers in myschool using prerecorded lessons rather than live.

Not happening in my school anyway although i think most teachers in myschool using prerecorded lessons rather than live.

Thats interesting, we're forbidden from doing that.

Pre-recording classes? Why is that? (By prerecorded i mean recording myself explaining a powerpoint asit plays, kids can then listen/,playback etc. They also post up questions for me to answer, )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Don't think they'd have a leg to stand on by forbidding you. What do the people do that have small children at home that need to be looked after?

Prerecorded makes a lot more sense in a way, if a student can't login for whatever reason (they too could be minding small children) then the recordings are there for them to listen to as many times as they want at a different time.

I've been doing audio files for some lessons, so going through material from the book and supplementing it with the extra stuff I'd say in class, and then putting up links to suitable youtube videos for the experiments (science teacher). It's working for them as far as I can tell.

Don't think they'd have a leg to stand on by forbidding you. What do the people do that have small children at home that need to be looked after?

Prerecorded makes a lot more sense in a way, if a student can't login for whatever reason (they too could be minding small children) then the recordings are there for them to listen to as many times as they want at a different time.

I've been doing audio files for some lessons, so going through material from the book and supplementing it with the extra stuff I'd say in class, and then putting up links to suitable youtube videos for the experiments (science teacher). It's working for them as far as I can tell.

I was thinking the same, on what possible grounds could they "forbid " you?

I was thinking the same, on what possible grounds could they "forbid " you?

We have to teach our timetables to best of the our ability. Recording lessons will have students download in their own time and not partake in online learning. Or so we're told.

We have to teach our timetables to best of the our ability. Recording lessons will have students download in their own time and not partake in online learning. Or so we're told.

God that policy seems deliberately obstructionist...so what if they do it in their own time? (Aimed at your management not at you!) My students know I'm available to them 9-4 for queries/extra support and once they hand assignments in, I don't care when they get them done (much like I don't care when homework is done when we are in school as long as it is handed in).Things are stressful enough for teachers and students without introducing extra barriers.

That's nonsense from your management. Not every teacher or student will be available to their timetable. Teachers have kids to mind at home, rural broadband will guarantee that kids will disconnect from live lessons and some houses won't have sufficient broadband/devices for multiple children at one address.

Some schools have trust in their staff to support their students in text format, audio or video. This choice should be left to the teacher as a professional. So long as work is being effectively covered, who cares how it's done.

Feeling the need to micro-manage staff is becoming more common and rarely adds to anybody's teaching or learning experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

This came up at our staff meeting. We had a union meeting in advance and staff fought hard to prevent it. The notion that all students can sit and follow the school timetable in a house that might have multiple students online and multiple parents working from home is honestly pie in the sky. Never mind that many teachers including myself are minding kids simultaneously. Please tell me at least the lessons are recorded for students to be able to access later?

We had this nonsense from our principal two weeks ago when we shutdown. We contacted our union about his unreasonable behaviour and that was the end of it. Area rep said that the online thing of live lessons creates more inequality anyway as mirrorwall outlined above. Not everyone can be online at the same time. I know one of my students who would be diligent hasn't logged in for my maths lesson live many times, but his sister is a Leaving Cert in the school so I presume they only have one computer in the house and she gets priority. At least with pre-recorded lessons students can listen back to them whenever suits them. Live lessons excludes so many, without even taking into account internet issues.

A parent was in contact to say that because they live in the back of beyonds her son couldn't access MS Teams and he was keen to work and didn't want to fall behind. So I stuck a USB key in the post to her today with all the lessons so far. At least then he has access to the same material as the rest of the class. He's at the extreme end of poor internet access but he won't be the only one.

Just to add to this, that management have rang and gave out to teachers for teaching classes outside their allocated times.

Just to add to this, that management have rang and gave out to teachers for teaching classes outside their allocated times.

You have some beauts there so

Ya I'd be getting straight on to my union. No way would I tolerate that.

• Advertisement

As Rainbow Trout said I'd be directing them straight to the union. You have enough actual stress to deal with without them creating fictional rules.

I'm sorry to say but I really doubt the union would help or even intervene.

I'm sorry to say but I really doubt the union would help or even intervene.

Why not? They did for us.

Why not? They did for us.

Its a Long complicated story.

Advertisement