Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Warmflow or Grant boiler?

• 11-01-2020 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Warmflow or Grant external condensing oil boiler, 26kw?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Grant

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

Grant all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

So it's a case of getting a better warranty with warm flow vs a better boiler with grant, grant it is then so. The plumber said that they were roughly the same price. Is there anything else that I need to consider when choosing a grant?

Proper installation is the most important thing. Make sure that the boiler passport is filled in and sent off.
    If installer tried to persuade you that none of the above is necessary, then you need a different installer.

Needs to be fitted to a clean system.

Have chosen to go with the Grant Vortex, but should I be putting serious thought into a wood pellet boiler?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

warmf......I mean Grant

DGOBS wrote: »
    warmf......I mean Grant

Yeah staying away from the Warmflow, just before I make my final decision, I’m just wondering am I making the right choice replacing an oil boiler with an oil boiler. Should I be considering a wood pellet boiler.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Depends on your budget, and how big an area you have for a pellet boiler and pellet storage hopper

DGOBS wrote: »
    Depends on your budget, and how big an area you have for a pellet boiler and pellet storage hopper

Budget and space limited

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Wow. That option is like being stabbed vs eating cake.

Grant even if warmflow was half the price.

Being honest I thought wood pellet was a dead idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

Yeah staying away from the Warmflow, just before I make my final decision, I’m just wondering am I making the right choice replacing an oil boiler with an oil boiler. Should I be considering a wood pellet boiler.
    Mental V Not so feckin mental, fairly simple choice giving the above advice.

Impartial advice
    (If you're sane)

Grant Boiler

Hard decision, I know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Squatman

Hi all, i have the same question, i met with my plumber this morning, and he is strongly suggesting that we get a warmflow cabin pack boiler for approx €1400, coming with pump, mag cleaner, plumbing etc. versus the grant which is harder to install, does not come wiht ancillaries, and he will be charging more labour on.
    what are the tech. differences between the two units? is there an efficiency advantage of one over the other. interestingly he said he would go for the Firebird before the grant. whats peoples opinions

Squatman wrote: »
    Hi all, i have the same question, i met with my plumber this morning, and he is strongly suggesting that we get a warmflow cabin pack boiler for approx €1400, coming with pump, mag cleaner, plumbing etc. versus the grant which is harder to install, does not come wiht ancillaries, and he will be charging more labour on.
    what are the tech. differences between the two units? is there an efficiency advantage of one over the other. interestingly he said he would go for the Firebird before the grant. whats peoples opinions

While they all need regular servicing, Grant is more forgiving, followed by Firebird and then Warmflow. Therefore -imho- a Grant will cost you less on repairs over the years.

Grant and firebird are same to install. Firebird is just imo a poor design but will work with right servicing.

I believe iv yet to have a callback for a grant. They just work.

Warmflow only give you all that to counter there terrible reputation, in particular for leaking.

Iv heard a few reports of there preplumbed efforts leaking out of the box.

There quality control is non existent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,725 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I’ll put it this way op, a 50/90 grant with no pump, mag filter, piping etc is prob 25kg heavier than the pre plumbed Warmflow

Just out of curiosity I rang Calor today regarding the “free gas boiler” offer they have running. Worcester Bosch boiler - free. Installation €3500-5000 depending on installer, etc.

Gonna order up the Grant oil boiler next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,725 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Just out of curiosity I rang Calor today regarding the “free gas boiler” offer they have running. Worcester Bosch boiler - free. Installation €3500-5000 depending on installer, etc.

Gonna order up the Grant oil boiler next week.

WB Boiler including installation would normally be 2,500. That shows you what cowboys Calor actually are. Then they go and charge you what they like for the gas. Avoid

Out of interest I am replacing a Stanley Brandon stove boiler that is 20 years old. House was only used as a holiday home. What kind of money could I get for that?

Grant Vortex installed, yet to be commissioned, it was replacing an internal o/f Stanley brandon internal boiler stove. Had it installed along the gable wall. My future neighbor said to me at the weekend that he hoped it doesn't create any dust that could lie on his car parked 7/8m away. Possible?

Grant Vortex installed, yet to be commissioned, it was replacing an internal o/f Stanley brandon internal boiler stove. Had it installed along the gable wall. My future neighbor said to me at the weekend that he hoped it doesn't create any dust that could lie on his car parked 7/8m away. Possible?

No dust. A plume of mist, but shouldn't be a bother so far away. Your installer would have suggested a plume kit if he thought it necessary.

Not a very friendly comment from your neighbour.

• Advertisement

Wearb wrote: »
    No dust. A plume of mist, but shouldn't be a bother so far away. Your installer would have suggested a plume kit if he thought it necessary.

Not a very friendly comment from your neighbour.

He did qualify his comment by saying we won't fall out over it.

He did qualify his comment by saying we won't fall out over it.

That's a more diplomatic start.

No more chance your cooking in the kitchen causing dust to his car then the boiler

Advertisement