Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Junior Cert Spanish Syllabus

Options
  • 14-01-2015 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

So I've decided to learn a bit of Spanish.

I'm doing the Michel Thomas course and getting some pronunciation and very (VERY) basic conversation practice with a Mexican friend.

I'd also like to do something a bit more structured (and measurable) and I'm thinking of buying the JC course books and then testing myself with the JC exam papers (and aural) which are available free online.

I've 2 questions:
    Is it reasonable to try to self teach the syllabus (with assistance from the aforementioned Mexican amiga)
    Does the syllabus give the basics of useful Spanish (reading, speaking & aural comprehension) - i.e. if I treated myself to a long weekend in Barcelona on completion of the course, could I make practical use of what I'd learned?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭candlemouse

Hi Ben,

How did you get on ? I'm interested in doing the same thing but can't locate the books / material for the JC. No one seems to know.

Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I did the course with the assistance of my Mexican friend and got on fine. I think as a basic introduction it was fine but for practical use it was very limited. There is no shortcut to fluency or even useful language skills as far as I can tell. Nevertheless it's a cheap introduction to the language.

I'm currently learning on Verbling where I do online 1-2-1 classes via video link to Spain and Peru. It's going OK so far but you may have to try a few teachers to find one you are happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭candlemouse

Thanks Ben. I totally agree. Unfortunately I've brought more learning books including some good ones. I just finished "Complete Latin American Spanish Beginner to Intermediate Course : (Book and audio support)" and it found it great. Now I'm ready to take the next step.

Trouble is I can find a lot of books (https://www.schoolbooks.ie/collections/junior-cert-spanish-books) and I don't know which ones to choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Nadiua

The most important thing is to have someone who will help you. So, you've chosen a good method.

Advertisement