Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Ops 2? (Iron Wolf)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Can't access it in work.. Gonna check it out when i get home.

I checked and the domain names

codironwolf.com
    callofdutyironwolf.com

are taken

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I for one look forward to next year's Treyarch COD game, I much prefer Black Ops and WAW over MW2, I'll hold judgement on MW3 but not seeing any great difference with MW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

probably same engine :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Headshot wrote: »
    probably same engine :rolleyes:

yeah neither Infinity Ward or Treyarch seem to be working on a new enigine for COD, probably Activision's fault, probably waiting for the next generation of console before any new COD engine appears :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I for one look forward to next year's Treyarch COD game, I much prefer Black Ops and WAW over MW2, I'll hold judgement on MW3 but not seeing any great difference with MW2.

I would have agreed with this before but as of late I'm growing more and more disappointed with BO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I dont think id buy another Treyarch developed game. Would probably be another flop

Are you joking? Another flop? It was only the biggest selling game in history, let alone out of the COD franchise....yup, time to shut down Treyarch after the Black Ops flop fiasco.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion on anything but I hate this rubbish like 'black ops was such a flop', because frankly, it's pretty much the most successful game in the entire history of video games.
    Metascore: 87/100
    Within 24 hours of its release, Black Ops had sold a combined total of 5.6 million units in the US and UK market, surpassing that of Modern Warfare 2 and establishing a new record for largest entertainment launch.[88] Compared to the much anticipated opening of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1, the game earned more than twice as much as the film, earning $360 million.
    Only five days after its release, sales from the game worldwide reached US$650 million, surpassing the previous record achieved by Modern Warfare 2 which earned $550 million in five days.
    It became the best-selling game of all-time in the United States, surpassing Wii Play; 13.7 million copies of Call of Duty: Black Ops had been sold in the United States alone
    After six weeks on release, Activision reported Black Ops had earned $1 billion in sales.

Not to mention. It's still in the charts, a year later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Are you joking? Another flop? It was only the biggest selling game in history, let alone out of the COD franchise....yup, time to shut down Treyarch after the Black Ops flop fiasco.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion on anything but I hate this rubbish like 'black ops was such a flop', because frankly, it's pretty much the most successful game in the entire history of video games.

Not to mention. It's still in the charts, a year later.

Black ops progressed the series in some areas but to hold it up as some bastion of brilliance is completely wrong. It falls between both your opinions; between flop and hyperbole like the most successful game ever.

Pros
    Theatre & zombie mode.
    Party chat system utilised and integrated fully.
    Less cheap perks than predecessors.

Cons
    Matchmaking system is still flawed despite being almost 12 months old.
    Poor convoluted campaign.
    DLC ranging from terrible to average.

X Factor attracts one of the biggest audiences in tv today but would you say it's the best thing on tv simply because of viewer numbers?
    Would you f**k.

Ask yourself this: out of all the games that you have played would you honestly say it's in your top 10 of all time? It's top 20 for me, it's clearly neither a flop nor the best of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Depends on what he meant by "flop"..

a) Commercially - clearly not the case, for the reasons Terrorfirmer set out.
    b) Personal disappointment - subjective and more likely what he meant.

It had me hooked good and proper for a long long time. Lots of good developments. Its main problem for me was hit detection.. whatever the cause..

On a lesser gripe, it wasn't as "flash" as MW2.. but then again, didn't have Danger Close, Commando pro etc etc etc... etc etc etc.... etc (you get the point!)

I've found that the minor problems in both are annoying to a lesser degree when you are playing with fellow CoD fans.. (because they become the annoying aspect ;))

I'll be outside Gamestop at midnight again and playing MW3 like I was with Black Ops til 5 am and taking the next day off... and I'll prob be doing the same for next one from Treyarc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

yimrsg wrote: »

Pros
    Theatre & zombie mode.
    Party chat system utilised and integrated fully.
    Less cheap perks than predecessors.

Nah, zombie mode was a step backwards tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

yimrsg wrote: »
    X Factor attracts one of the biggest audiences in tv today but would you say it's the best thing on tv simply because of viewer numbers?

I never said best regarding Black Ops. I said successful. Neither do I consider Black Ops the best FPS ever in either general or personal terms, nor do I watch X Factor but if somewhere were to call it a 'flop' that person would clearly live in a world detached from reality, no?

The movie Avatar is the best grossing film of all time and I certainly don't consider it by any stretch a classic, let alone worthy of a top 10, 20, or probably even 30 movie greats. But to call it a flop nonetheless would be absolutely ludicrous, right? You see my point.

Personally though, to answer that I consider Black Ops in my top ten in terms of SP FPS titles. I didn't play much MP because I'm more of a Halo fan and I personally also prefer MW2 in that regard but it doesn't stop me loving Black Ops for what was in my opinion the best COD campaign to date and awesome hitherto unavailable split screen options - like split screen online, which was present in Halo for years and years prior to COD4 and MW2.

I kept MW2 and traded in BO though because I think MW2 is better for local 4 player splitscreen, which we still do occasionally with a few beers. Rust, Terminal and Underpass, classic maps that I do admit had no equal in BO as far as I'm concerned!
    Poor convoluted campaign.

In fairness MW2 had, on a pure scripting level, an atrociously story. But it was still a kickass game and a rollercoaster ride, no-one really cared about the improbability of it. Black Ops had a somewhat; ok, far more; more believable story and pretty much the same level of on rails cinematic scripting, so I would be curious as to what precedent you're basing 'poor convoluted campaign' on.

Treyarch aren't going anywhere, with Black Ops they proved they had the same potential as IW when given the resources (they had criminally short development time available on COD2; COD3 and COD: WAW, WAW was still a damn good game regardless) - and I fully expect with their next release, after proving themselves with BO, they'll surpass IW. Then again, Treyarch came from good stock, some of the team came from Gray Matter who made United Offensive, which is pretty highly regarded among original COD heads. The short time they were given on their other COD titles was an injustice.

Anyway, at the moment, the franchise is spreading all over the shop. Sledgehammer developing their own COD title I believe, whilst helping IW on MW3....So we've got it spread over three developers on the primary platforms, now?

• Advertisement
Advertisement