Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-02-2020, 23:21   #31
maisiedaisy

Kilnagross was a Protestant church, it closed in the early 90s or late 80s, but the graveyard has all creeds in it. Maulnarouga I think closed in the 50s, and again, was Protestant. I would assume the graveyard around it is mixed but I’m open to correction!

That link describes Kilnagross pretty accurately! To the best of my knowledge it is the original building underneath the plaster.
Advertisement
07-02-2020, 23:24   #32
KildareFan

Just to note that most rural churches are locked up after daily mass due to vandalism and burglaries. You could contact the parish priest in advance - most parishes have websites with contact details.
07-02-2020, 23:39   #33
srmf5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareFan View Post
Just to note that most rural churches are locked up after daily mass due to vandalism and burglaries. You could contact the parish priest in advance - most parishes have websites with contact details.
That is true. Most churches might actually only be open for an hour or so before and after mass. I don't really know since I'd only ever go to a church if there was a mass on. Opening hours would be different for churches in places like Knock though where it seems to be pretty much all day.

You can use this website to see mass times and get contact details: https://www.catholicireland.net/mass-times/
Very rural churches might just have one mass a week larger churches would generally have mass every day with two on a Friday and at least two on a Sunday. The only other thing is that if it's not a small church, you could visit during confessions but I think that they're mainly done on Saturdays some time in the middle of the day. It's not as easy to get times for those online. You'd need to get the parish leaflet I think for that information.
08-02-2020, 15:15   #34
Vetch

Some parishes have parish offices adjacent to the church and will employ a parish secretary so it may be possible to get access to locked churches by this means. Babies are normally baptised in their own parish. As a fee is payable to parish clergy for carrying out ceremonies, priests wouldn't be overly fond of their parishioners going elsewhere and the fee being paid to another parish. The name Mary is often used in honour of Our Lady so if a number of children in the family all have the name Mary it's possible that all of them (bar one maybe) were known by the other name.
11-02-2020, 06:58   #35
katherinexoxo

Thanks to everyone for all of your help. I also heard back from Ireland XOXO and they are going to try to have someone from each location try to meet me on the ground during my visit. Whether or not I have remaining family in either area is yet to be determined.

If anyone wants to give me an honest opinion on my Kildare puzzle, I could send it to you via PM. Know that I would NOT be asking for you to do any research. Just a fresh set of eyes to read the work I have compiled and tell me if you think the dots connect.

Hugs to all of you!
Advertisement
11-02-2020, 18:07   #36
KildareFan

Hi - I live in Kildare so would be interested in your Kildare puzzle. Send me a PM - I love a challenge.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion