Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

08-02-2020, 19:19   #1861
Oneiric 3

The system will eat itself:

https://inthesetimes.com/article/220...greta-thunberg

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/g...imate-activist

These people are a friggin' joke.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-02-2020, 19:36   #1862
Oneiric 3

Go Jane!

She puts the rest of us to shame.
(4) thanks from:
14-02-2020, 07:50   #1863
Akrasia

Climate change adds energy to the oceans and atmosphere at a rate equivalent to exploding 5 hiroshema bombs every second Night and day.

This is warming the oceans and fueling intense weather.

Storm Dennis is potentially one of the most powerful weather events ever recorded in the North Atlantic,
A once in a century storm becomes a once in a decade event, This comes in the years after very unusual hurricane formation, increases in the rate of explosive cyclogenesis such that it’s almost expected now with every storm....
14-02-2020, 07:56   #1864
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrasia View Post
Climate change adds energy to the oceans and atmosphere at a rate equivalent to exploding 5 hiroshema bombs every second Night and day.

Storm Dennis is potentially one of the most powerful weather events ever recorded in the North Atlantic,
A once in a century storm becomes a once in a decade event, This comes in the years after very unusual hurricane formation, increases in the rate of explosive cyclogenesis such that it’s almost expected now with every storm....
These current storms are forming on the boundary of an area of anomalously cold water around New Foundland, in the much larger anomalously cold area of NE Canada around Baffin Bay.

You're getting carried away with the tabloid headlines again.
Thanks from:
14-02-2020, 07:57   #1865
posidonia

Quote:

Indeed.

But lets instead just rubbish some women (they must be young or old though) or promote various weird conspiracy theories - all that is much easier to do than facing reality is.
Advertisement
14-02-2020, 08:59   #1866
Akrasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaoth Laidir View Post
These current storms are forming on the boundary of an area of anomalously cold water around New Foundland, in the much larger anomalously cold area of NE Canada around Baffin Bay.

You're getting carried away with the tabloid headlines again.
I haven’t read a tabloid newspaper in 30 years.
14-02-2020, 09:08   #1867
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
I haven’t read a tabloid newspaper in 30 years.
Really?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/107423...limate-change/
14-02-2020, 10:46   #1868
Akrasia

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I used the Hiroshema bomb comparison multiple times in the past. Are you saying the Sun is quoting me?
(it used to be referred to as 4 Hiroshema bombs a second, it's increased to 5 due to the continuing increase in GHG emissions)
Or is it possible that this information is available elsewhere other than the tabloid press?

https://skepticalscience.com/earth-w...s-per-sec.html
https://thebulletin.org/2020/02/eart...ricane-sandys/

Do you dispute this statistic by the way?
14-02-2020, 12:20   #1869
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I used the Hiroshema bomb comparison multiple times in the past. Are you saying the Sun is quoting me?
(it used to be referred to as 4 Hiroshema bombs a second, it's increased to 5 due to the continuing increase in GHG emissions)
Or is it possible that this information is available elsewhere other than the tabloid press?

https://skepticalscience.com/earth-w...s-per-sec.html
https://thebulletin.org/2020/02/eart...ricane-sandys/

Do you dispute this statistic by the way?
I'm sure the amount of energy is around this level alright. However, I note that the study conveniently starts in the late 1950s, hence not including the similar increases in the first part of the 20th century. See, therein lies the problem. Whatever the source (though the general public get their news from the tabloids or The Guardian (is there any difference?!)), the general public are oblivious to the fact that an almost similar increase was taking place 100 years ago. But that wouldn't be quite so dramatic a story, would it?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-02-2020, 12:24   #1870
Gaoth Laidir

By the way, I think you're mixing up barotropicity (hurricanes) and baroclinicity (these storms). The two are not connected.
Thanks from:
14-02-2020, 13:46   #1871
Hooter23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
Go Jane!

She puts the rest of us to shame.
Yes because its really ethical to spend all your money on gold and diamonds for yourself instead of donating that money to people that are literally dying because they are so poor...How generous of her

Last edited by Hooter23; 14-02-2020 at 14:07.
Thanks from:
14-02-2020, 14:32   #1872
Oneiric 3

Lowest winter storm pressure recorded in the N Atlantic was on January 11th, 1993, when the barometer fell down as low as 913 hPa off the north coast of Scotland.

Reanalysis chart for that day:

North Atlantic SST anomaly for that month: Nuclear strength heat fuelling storm:

And isn't it odd that for such a positively cyclonic winter so far across the N. Atlantic, that we here in Ireland, on the forefront of it all, have yet to experience what one might call a proper winter storm so far?

Edit, looking more into that January 1993 low, it was actually on the 10th, and not the 11th as I earlier stated. UK Met hand drawn analysis chart for 18z that evening:

the 913 hPa seems to be more of a claim, but 916 hPa was official confirmed.

Last edited by Oneiric 3; 14-02-2020 at 15:04.
(3) thanks from:
14-02-2020, 15:39   #1873
MiNdGaM3

Quote:
I'm sure the amount of energy is around this level alright. However, I note that the study conveniently starts in the late 1950s, hence not including the similar increases in the first part of the 20th century. See, therein lies the problem. Whatever the source (though the general public get their news from the tabloids or The Guardian (is there any difference?!)), the general public are oblivious to the fact that an almost similar increase was taking place 100 years ago. But that wouldn't be quite so dramatic a story, would it?
A similar increase happening 100 years ago is a fact? Where did you pull that fact from?
14-02-2020, 22:25   #1874
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNdGaM3 View Post
A similar increase happening 100 years ago is a fact? Where did you pull that fact from?
The uptake started around 100 years ago and continues to this day.

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/4/1126

Thanks from:
15-02-2020, 08:37   #1875
M.T. Cranium

With regard to the very low central pressures of some modern-era North Atlantic storms ...

I think these may have existed before the modern era too, but when we see reconstructed maps going back into the 19th century, they are not shown because the analysts had no reliable indications that such pressures existed. Today's modern technology gives us that indication, but as you know these pressures are inferred from satellite imagery and are (in most cases) not actually measured by ships or ocean buoys.

The fact that very low pressures sometimes reached land based barometers (as in Dec 1886 when Armagh recorded 926 mbs) is probably an indirect proof that such pressures were "out there" in some North Atlantic storms that we see on charts reconstructed after the fact as 950 type centres.

I don't think the human race is even responsible for one millibar of the deepening of Dennis or that 1993 storm or any other cyclonic storm or tropical storm. Half a millibar, maybe.
(2) thanks from:
Thread Closed