Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
08-02-2020, 19:19   #1861
Oneiric 3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,686
The system will eat itself:

https://inthesetimes.com/article/220...greta-thunberg

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/g...imate-activist

These people are a friggin' joke.
Oneiric 3 is online now  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-02-2020, 19:36   #1862
Oneiric 3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,686
Go Jane!




She puts the rest of us to shame.
Oneiric 3 is online now  
(4) thanks from:
14-02-2020, 07:50   #1863
Akrasia
Registered User
 
Akrasia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 13,954
Climate change adds energy to the oceans and atmosphere at a rate equivalent to exploding 5 hiroshema bombs every second Night and day.

This is warming the oceans and fueling intense weather.

Storm Dennis is potentially one of the most powerful weather events ever recorded in the North Atlantic,
A once in a century storm becomes a once in a decade event, This comes in the years after very unusual hurricane formation, increases in the rate of explosive cyclogenesis such that it’s almost expected now with every storm....
Akrasia is offline  
14-02-2020, 07:56   #1864
Gaoth Laidir
Registered User
 
Gaoth Laidir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrasia View Post
Climate change adds energy to the oceans and atmosphere at a rate equivalent to exploding 5 hiroshema bombs every second Night and day.

This is warming the oceans and fueling intense weather.

Storm Dennis is potentially one of the most powerful weather events ever recorded in the North Atlantic,
A once in a century storm becomes a once in a decade event, This comes in the years after very unusual hurricane formation, increases in the rate of explosive cyclogenesis such that it’s almost expected now with every storm....
These current storms are forming on the boundary of an area of anomalously cold water around New Foundland, in the much larger anomalously cold area of NE Canada around Baffin Bay.

You're getting carried away with the tabloid headlines again.
Gaoth Laidir is online now  
Thanks from:
14-02-2020, 07:57   #1865
posidonia
Registered User
 
posidonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrasia View Post
Climate change adds energy to the oceans and atmosphere at a rate equivalent to exploding 5 hiroshema bombs every second Night and day.

This is warming the oceans and fueling intense weather.

Storm Dennis is potentially one of the most powerful weather events ever recorded in the North Atlantic,
A once in a century storm becomes a once in a decade event, This comes in the years after very unusual hurricane formation, increases in the rate of explosive cyclogenesis such that it’s almost expected now with every storm....

Indeed.


But lets instead just rubbish some women (they must be young or old though) or promote various weird conspiracy theories - all that is much easier to do than facing reality is.
posidonia is offline  
Advertisement
14-02-2020, 08:59   #1866
Akrasia
Registered User
 
Akrasia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 13,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaoth Laidir View Post
These current storms are forming on the boundary of an area of anomalously cold water around New Foundland, in the much larger anomalously cold area of NE Canada around Baffin Bay.

You're getting carried away with the tabloid headlines again.
I haven’t read a tabloid newspaper in 30 years.
Akrasia is offline  
14-02-2020, 09:08   #1867
Gaoth Laidir
Registered User
 
Gaoth Laidir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrasia View Post
I haven’t read a tabloid newspaper in 30 years.
Really?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/107423...limate-change/
Gaoth Laidir is online now  
14-02-2020, 10:46   #1868
Akrasia
Registered User
 
Akrasia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 13,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaoth Laidir View Post
I'm pretty sure I used the Hiroshema bomb comparison multiple times in the past. Are you saying the Sun is quoting me?
(it used to be referred to as 4 Hiroshema bombs a second, it's increased to 5 due to the continuing increase in GHG emissions)
Or is it possible that this information is available elsewhere other than the tabloid press?

https://skepticalscience.com/earth-w...s-per-sec.html
https://thebulletin.org/2020/02/eart...ricane-sandys/

Do you dispute this statistic by the way?
Akrasia is offline  
14-02-2020, 12:20   #1869
Gaoth Laidir
Registered User
 
Gaoth Laidir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrasia View Post
I'm pretty sure I used the Hiroshema bomb comparison multiple times in the past. Are you saying the Sun is quoting me?
(it used to be referred to as 4 Hiroshema bombs a second, it's increased to 5 due to the continuing increase in GHG emissions)
Or is it possible that this information is available elsewhere other than the tabloid press?

https://skepticalscience.com/earth-w...s-per-sec.html
https://thebulletin.org/2020/02/eart...ricane-sandys/

Do you dispute this statistic by the way?
I'm sure the amount of energy is around this level alright. However, I note that the study conveniently starts in the late 1950s, hence not including the similar increases in the first part of the 20th century. See, therein lies the problem. Whatever the source (though the general public get their news from the tabloids or The Guardian (is there any difference?!)), the general public are oblivious to the fact that an almost similar increase was taking place 100 years ago. But that wouldn't be quite so dramatic a story, would it?
Gaoth Laidir is online now  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-02-2020, 12:24   #1870
Gaoth Laidir
Registered User
 
Gaoth Laidir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,590
By the way, I think you're mixing up barotropicity (hurricanes) and baroclinicity (these storms). The two are not connected.
Gaoth Laidir is online now  
Thanks from:
14-02-2020, 13:46   #1871
Hooter23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
Go Jane!




She puts the rest of us to shame.
Yes because its really ethical to spend all your money on gold and diamonds for yourself instead of donating that money to people that are literally dying because they are so poor...How generous of her

Last edited by Hooter23; 14-02-2020 at 14:07.
Hooter23 is offline  
Thanks from:
14-02-2020, 14:32   #1872
Oneiric 3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,686
Lowest winter storm pressure recorded in the N Atlantic was on January 11th, 1993, when the barometer fell down as low as 913 hPa off the north coast of Scotland.

Reanalysis chart for that day:




North Atlantic SST anomaly for that month: Nuclear strength heat fuelling storm:



And isn't it odd that for such a positively cyclonic winter so far across the N. Atlantic, that we here in Ireland, on the forefront of it all, have yet to experience what one might call a proper winter storm so far?

Edit, looking more into that January 1993 low, it was actually on the 10th, and not the 11th as I earlier stated. UK Met hand drawn analysis chart for 18z that evening:



the 913 hPa seems to be more of a claim, but 916 hPa was official confirmed.

Last edited by Oneiric 3; 14-02-2020 at 15:04.
Oneiric 3 is online now  
(3) thanks from:
14-02-2020, 15:39   #1873
MiNdGaM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaoth Laidir View Post
I'm sure the amount of energy is around this level alright. However, I note that the study conveniently starts in the late 1950s, hence not including the similar increases in the first part of the 20th century. See, therein lies the problem. Whatever the source (though the general public get their news from the tabloids or The Guardian (is there any difference?!)), the general public are oblivious to the fact that an almost similar increase was taking place 100 years ago. But that wouldn't be quite so dramatic a story, would it?
A similar increase happening 100 years ago is a fact? Where did you pull that fact from?
MiNdGaM3 is offline  
14-02-2020, 22:25   #1874
Gaoth Laidir
Registered User
 
Gaoth Laidir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNdGaM3 View Post
A similar increase happening 100 years ago is a fact? Where did you pull that fact from?
The uptake started around 100 years ago and continues to this day.

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/4/1126


Gaoth Laidir is online now  
Thanks from:
15-02-2020, 08:37   #1875
M.T. Cranium
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,729
With regard to the very low central pressures of some modern-era North Atlantic storms ...

I think these may have existed before the modern era too, but when we see reconstructed maps going back into the 19th century, they are not shown because the analysts had no reliable indications that such pressures existed. Today's modern technology gives us that indication, but as you know these pressures are inferred from satellite imagery and are (in most cases) not actually measured by ships or ocean buoys.

The fact that very low pressures sometimes reached land based barometers (as in Dec 1886 when Armagh recorded 926 mbs) is probably an indirect proof that such pressures were "out there" in some North Atlantic storms that we see on charts reconstructed after the fact as 950 type centres.

I don't think the human race is even responsible for one millibar of the deepening of Dennis or that 1993 storm or any other cyclonic storm or tropical storm. Half a millibar, maybe.
M.T. Cranium is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search