Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Going beyond 1830

• 30-01-2020 3:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi there

I am researching a great great great grandfather who born in Co. Laois around 1830. I have an army pension belonging to him which gives his location of birth and his year of birth. I also have his wedding certificate which gives his father's name.

I researched the area of his birth and I found his father's name on the tithe appointment books so I suspect he maybe protestant.

Is there any way I can...go beyond 1830?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, everyone was *supposed* to pay tithes, so it doesn't definitely indicate he was COI.

You need to investigate what parish records are available for the area - check both denominations, and see if you can identify the baptism of your ggg grandfather or siblings.

You could also see if a service record for him is available at the UK National Archives. This would give more information about his background and should clear up the RC/COI question.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

If he was CoI you can check what parish records are available - The RCB Library holds many original records; the list of Parish registers is available to download here https://bit.ly/2UlhOcA; generally registers outside Dublin are not online, although some have been transcribed by RootsIreland or other organisations. Here's the main Genealogy page for RCB https://www.ireland.anglican.org/about/genealogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I agree (yet again!) with Pinky. Don't get side-tracked by the CoI question. Tithes had to be paid by all tennants on 'crop' land, not on grazing. That is why urban areas were not registered and why they were so detested, the big landlord did not have to pay tithes on his grazing land but the peasant farmer had to pay (usually) on his potato patch. Plus tithes were paid by RCs to support a Church to which they did not belong. Look at the parish registers for the births, also check the wife's home parish for same, as they often went 'home' for the first births.

Advertisement