Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
02-11-2019, 21:53   #16
Sleeper12
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 12,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaptopGremlin
The photos are taken such as to not convey how small this place is.
It looks clean, modern and well maintained in the photos.

You need to look at some Dublin properties with 30 year old thread bare carpets &and 20 year old White paint turned yellow.
Sleeper12 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-11-2019, 22:16   #17
antix80
Registered User
 
antix80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper12 View Post
It looks clean, modern and well maintained in the photos.

You need to look at some Dublin properties with 30 year old thread bare carpets &and 20 year old White paint turned yellow.
I'd be more worried about mould/damp than cosmetics.. Landlords will usually provide the gallon of paint if you do the monkey work if a coat of paint was the only issue. The cheaper end of the market is usually for ppl looking at price over comfort.
antix80 is online now  
02-11-2019, 23:08   #18
Snotty
Registered User
 
Snotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 757
So what price do you think would be acceptable for this?

I would prefer for the market to dicate the price, and if we had a functioning market it would dicate the price, but instead we have numerous governments who on one hand still see housing as a revenue stream but on the other hand bring in rent caps that act as a very short term bandaid but ultimately actually increase the problem by stifling new stock.
Snotty is offline  
02-11-2019, 23:36   #19
EmptyTree
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper12 View Post
It looks clean, modern and well maintained in the photos.

You need to look at some Dublin properties with 30 year old thread bare carpets &and 20 year old White paint turned yellow.
This. Also, it's bang in the middle of town, nearly couldn't get more central (except for maybe Johnson's Court apartments, and they're only the other side of the road). The price probably is a bit high, but it's not a total rip off either.
EmptyTree is offline  
(4) thanks from:
03-11-2019, 01:45   #20
Varik
Registered User
 
Varik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,997
Is there a chance this is some next level subliminal advertising.

I wouldn't mind it, right on top of a load of shops and close to a load of restaurants.
Varik is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
03-11-2019, 08:41   #21
Bdjsjsjs
Banned
 
Bdjsjsjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by antix80 View Post
I'd be more worried about mould/damp than cosmetics.. Landlords will usually provide the gallon of paint if you do the monkey work if a coat of paint was the only issue. The cheaper end of the market is usually for ppl looking at price over comfort.
You are right that mould is a far more serious issue but mostly mould is caused by tenants not opening windows daily as is required.
Bdjsjsjs is offline  
03-11-2019, 11:13   #22
nox001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 21,112
That’s one hell of a rant from the op, just shows how important it is to give a link as his rant looks silly now. Looks like a nicely renovated one bed apartment. Small but grand for one person and the price looks grand for town centre apartment.
nox001 is online now  
03-11-2019, 11:32   #23
punisher5112
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 15,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdjsjsjs View Post
You are right that mould is a far more serious issue but mostly mould is caused by tenants not opening windows daily as is required.
In the winter we would very rarely open windows and never suffered issues of mould.

In rentals with poor to no insulation we opened the windows daily as we had no other choice even though the house was freezing and the heating cost a fortune.

Apartment we were in had no other options to dry clothes other then on a clothes horse.... Never any mould issue at all.

House we were in we never dried clothes inside and mushrooms and huge mould spores were growing on all the interior walls and even around the windows.
punisher5112 is offline  
Thanks from:
03-11-2019, 11:39   #24
Dav010
Registered User
 
Dav010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
That’s one hell of a rant from the op, just shows how important it is to give a link as his rant looks silly now. Looks like a nicely renovated one bed apartment. Small but grand for one person and the price looks grand for town centre apartment.
Looks pretty fresh to me too, not spacious, not decorated to a high standard, but looks clean and nice, in the middle of a reasonably big town, that isn’t bad, it would be at least twice that in a city. Also, a quick look at daft for that area doesn’t show a lot of stock and price for this is in line with others.

Op, by any chance do you live at home?
Dav010 is offline  
Advertisement
03-11-2019, 15:26   #25
LaptopGremlin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
Looks pretty fresh to me too, not spacious, not decorated to a high standard, but looks clean and nice, in the middle of a reasonably big town, that isn’t bad, it would be at least twice that in a city. Also, a quick look at daft for that area doesn’t show a lot of stock and price for this is in line with others.

Op, by any chance do you live at home?
What do mean, "live at home"?

As in, with muh parents?

Wut?

Hell no!!


The point is - this place was going for under 500 just two short years ago.

Ya'll okay with paying almost 7 large for that cramped, cold, dump?


Government revenue.

They're justifying high rents for revenue, without investing that revenue in more housing?

Find a better source of revenue!!

Anyone who conforms to the notion of high rent being okay for greater tax remuneration needs to climb back into reality.

There's a thousand sources of potential tax remuneration, which don't involve leaving ordinary people homeless or in poor living conditions.
LaptopGremlin is offline  
03-11-2019, 15:32   #26
LaptopGremlin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
Looks pretty fresh to me too, not spacious, not decorated to a high standard, but looks clean and nice, in the middle of a reasonably big town, that isn’t bad, it would be at least twice that in a city. Also, a quick look at daft for that area doesn’t show a lot of stock and price for this is in line with others.

Op, by any chance do you live at home?
And hell yeah - there is NOTHING on the market currently - unless you move out to some bog hole.

Other one bed apartments of MUCH higher standard were going for about 650 - up from about 550 two years ago.

This dump going for almost 7 large, up from sub 500.
Tell that's me that's not bleeding the desperate.
LaptopGremlin is offline  
03-11-2019, 15:51   #27
Dav010
Registered User
 
Dav010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1,444
If there isn’t much rental property available, why are you surprised that the cost of rental there has risen? Sligo isn’t a RPZ so rental increases are not capped.

To be honest, it’s hard to understand your vitriol towards this. It looks ok and is in the centre of a town with little rental availability, and it seems to be in line with going rate for the area.
Dav010 is offline  
Thanks from:
03-11-2019, 15:58   #28
Guy:Incognito
Registered User
 
Guy:Incognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 34,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaptopGremlin View Post
'
And yeah - Eoghan Murphy, minister for housing - I'm talking to you!
.
You might be better taking to twitter if you want to talk to him. Hoping he happens upon an anonymous internet forum is inefficient at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaptopGremlin View Post

The point is - this place was going for under 500 just two short years ago.
.
See , theres your issue, the years are getting longer lately.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LaptopGremlin View Post
This dump going for almost 7 large, up from sub 500.
.

Also, if you're going to be playing american gangster, you might want to get the lingo down , jive turkey, 7 large is 7 grand.
Guy:Incognito is offline  
03-11-2019, 16:00   #29
ednwireland
Moderator
 
ednwireland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 10,997
you said it yourself pickings are thin. supply and demand. its also a stones throw from the centre of sligo town.
ednwireland is online now  
03-11-2019, 16:01   #30
Mic 1972
Registered User
 
Mic 1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 78
Looks nice to me, have seen worse in Dublin
Mic 1972 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet