Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-10-2019, 16:52   #61
salmocab

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybonkers View Post
The wall looks better yes, but how will they build a wall over the manhole covers?
On the lower path which looks like how the one they were shown was done.
Advertisement
29-10-2019, 16:59   #62
albernazj93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelBoy Trotter View Post
Agreed. I'd be happier with the concrete and the small wall than with the paving

Good to hear opnions like that, it makes feel better by having the wall now

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizer101 View Post
Few wall top planters should solve that, something like:

Great idea and it looks nice! Not this big white box though, but something similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peatys View Post
Think the wall looks better..

Yea, it looks nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoie View Post
The small wall (matching your house colour) will work well and resolve the issue I feel if you're happy with it.

However, do not sign anything until the snagging is done, the builders have rectified things, and then you've agreed that they're rectified properly.

The builders' solicitors (and your own, by the sound of things) will be pressuring you to close out. Once you sign the closing paperwork, your chances of getting anything fixed drops away to practically zero.

Despite this not being my first time around, I left them away with one or two small things on my snag list that they promised would get sorted, and 15 months later they're not done, and I suspect I can go whistle for them at this point. When you do your snag list (or get someone to do it for you), make a note to yourself of the things that you will not sign without. Don't share that with anyone, keep it to yourself.

IIRC it took about 2 months from the date I did my snag list to me signing the paperwork, as the builders kept putting off fixes, or doing them wrong, etc. The whole time I was getting nasty letters from their side pressuring me to close out. Each time I just replied with the list of oustanding items, and reiterating that I was looking forward to signing once all items were complete. In the end it was their own solicitors putting pressure on them that got the builders to fix things.

Don't feel like "this item is too trivial to put on the snag list". Put everything on there. You can be willing to let a few of them go later on, but if they're not on the list they don't exist.

Thanks, I won't sign anything until everything is complete. I will contract some well reviewed person to do the snag with me. I'm looking forward to moving into the new house, but I won't sign until everything is done.

I feel sorry for your situation, this is really annoying the way they don't care about you once they get your money and everything signed.

Thanks again for all suggestions. I'll be very very cautious during the snag and take note of everything.
Thanks from:
29-10-2019, 17:02   #63
albernazj93

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMusician18 View Post
It will be hard to build a wall there at the front with all the manholes, unless they build it at the lower level.

I wouldn't like all those chamber covers outside my front door either.

I think it will be at the lower level. I don't like the manholes either, but at this stage, not much I could do

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybonkers View Post
The wall looks better yes, but how will they build a wall over the manhole covers?

I would say they will build at the lower level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolbhad View Post
It’s a **** situation. However new build contracts are very onerous and cover the builder is nearly every situation to change as much as they need to without needing additional planning. I don’t think a different solicitor would have helped. To be honest attitudes of builders is take it or leave it. I know of people who’s solicitors have tried to amend to modify clauses and it’s not allowed. All they can do is highlight the clauses, which they did, and hope no changes are made. You are at the builders mercy to change this. There won’t be anything in your contract to help you - your builder would have made sure of it.

So in reality your option is now with the builder, which is what your doing to see how it can be improved.

Yeah, this is really annoying and when I started the process of buying a house I never thought it would be like that.
29-10-2019, 17:03   #64
albernazj93

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmocab View Post
On the lower path which looks like how the one they were shown was done.

I guess so, as the space between the manhole and the edge of the concrete does not fit a brick
29-10-2019, 17:34   #65
Mic 1972

That pavement needed minimal design to look nice but it was probably left to some unsupervised cowboy to sort out, depressing to see how people pay a fortune for their dream house only to be treated to subpar standards
Advertisement
29-10-2019, 17:53   #66
salmocab

To be fair to the builder here he is working on a compromise which from what I can see is a good one. He has engaged with the buyer. The step didn’t look great and was probably too high but I’d suspect with the shores and front door height he was limited in what he could do. He probably should have done a better job from the start but I think the OP is going to end up with the better solution in the end.
29-10-2019, 18:19   #67
STB.

That massive step is unacceptable. Whats with all the services and manholes - there are three immediately outside the door ?? and at least 7 within a short area. There is no way the council engineer is going to sign off building control on a wall containing those service holes.

The side of the house - is that your parking spot ?

On the solicitor - its the same solicitor for the both the vendor and the buyer ? The Conveyancing Conflicts Task Force Regulations prohibit this.
29-10-2019, 18:52   #68
sham58107

The manholes for utilities are in the wrong place, they need access, so no cobble lock, just ask the builder to move them to footpath, if you look at drawings ( which I did not) they should not be that close to your door.

Just ask builder to move them and replace with cobble lock.
29-10-2019, 18:55   #69
salmocab

Quote:
Originally Posted by sham58107 View Post
The manholes for utilities are in the wrong place, they need access, so no cobble lock, just ask the builder to move them to footpath, if you look at drawings ( which I did not) they should not be that close to your door.

Just ask builder to move them and replace with cobble lock.
The builder is not going to dig up all that finished work to realign pipe work.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-10-2019, 18:58   #70
sham58107

Quote:

He will if plans say they are in wrong place, they are just outside OPs door for god sake
29-10-2019, 19:02   #71
STB.

Quote:

Well he is going to have to anyway to make it anyway accessible. Big drop step is higher than the kerb, with 4 service holes immediately outside the front door!

WTF clown thought that was acceptable.

Anyone seen the picture posted earlier in the thread of the other corner house. Zoom in outside the front door. Is that what I think it is ?
29-10-2019, 19:19   #72
Bigmac1euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB. View Post
Well he is going to have to anyway to make it anyway accessible. Big drop step is higher than the kerb, with 4 service holes immediately outside the front door!

WTF clown thought that was acceptable.

Anyone seen the picture posted earlier in the thread of the other corner house. Zoom in outside the front door. Is that what I think it is ?
It’s a speed bump to slow kids down on scooters.
29-10-2019, 19:29   #73
STB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmac1euro View Post
It’s a speed bump to slow kids down on scooters.

A speedbump eh.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Other corner house.jpg (201.5 KB, 1408 views)
Thanks from:
29-10-2019, 19:44   #74
orionm_73

I think that’s just a doormat.
29-10-2019, 19:52   #75
pm1977x

And why are there pebbles at the front edge of the house but the paving goes right up to the edge of the side of the house?

Really sloppy looking finish and as for all the manholes all over the place...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion