Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-10-2019, 14:45   #46
careless sherpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by albernazj93 View Post
One of the others two houses I posted has a high step too and they made small steps made of bricks too. They could have done the same to mine I think
It is not a great finish there either as there is a little bank to the right of the step in that photo with peddle finish. Would give it a couple of months and the peddles would have slipped.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-10-2019, 14:47   #47
ILikeBoats

I think having the wall there is an improvement. Granted, you're not going to have the nice stone paving, but it will act as a barrier from the sidewalk.
29-10-2019, 14:48   #48
albernazj93

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizer101 View Post
I'd probably be happier with the small wall, it gives a certain amount of privacy and makes that space yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails142 View Post
Cobblelock will be a constant trouble with weeds and look terrible after a few years. Concrete much better, will powerwash clean very well, to my eye, you could put a nice black cast iron style railing along that concrete kerb with a nice gate, make the space your own, boundaries below a certain height are exempt from planning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm1977x View Post
Just keep in mind that if you are one of only 2 houses in the estate with a wall like that it may well end up becoming a hang out spot for the local kids, which could be a bigger pain long term, unless they make it as uncomfortable as possible to sit on.

Apart from that it looks like a lovely house, congrats.

I'm happy it makes the entrance more private and people won't be walking close to the house's door/windows.

Two squares down the road there is a kids playground, so I hope they will hang out on that playground rather than at my door . I could also add a small rail on top of the wall as Tails142 suggested, and make it impossible to sit on.
Thanks from:
29-10-2019, 14:49   #49
A2LUE42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack of all View Post
The brick wall would be more attractive and marks the space as yours, however I forsee one small issue with it- you could have kids sitting on it and causing a nuisance perhaps?
Agree with this, but the other folks with the street lighting and the small wall, will be plagued.

Am I the only one who finds the way they used the small whote stones to bridge the space between the two levels of cobble an awful finish?

29-10-2019, 14:51   #50
kceire

Quote:
I've just returned from the building site. I got to talk with a builder, he was extremely helpful and brought me into the office which I had a chance to speak with the engineers.

OP, what is the distance from the house to the edge of the paving in the attached picture?

This needs to be 900mm to comply with Technical Guidance Document Part M.

Would be great if they continued the wall around the much bed and stop it at your vehicular entrance. It would really give you a sense of a private garden.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Access.jpg (103.8 KB, 346 views)
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-10-2019, 14:52   #51
salmocab

I think the small wall looks better and is better demarcation than the cobble lock anyway. This seems like a good solution. Best of luck.
29-10-2019, 14:53   #52
DelBoy Trotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deagol View Post
If they build the small wall along the front, as long as there's enough clearance to get a wheelchair / buggy along I'd go with it. It will be a more private entrance separated from the main pathway that way IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizer101 View Post
I'd probably be happier with the small wall, it gives a certain amount of privacy and makes that space yours.
Agreed. I'd be happier with the concrete and the small wall than with the paving
29-10-2019, 14:58   #53
tatranska

Quote:
I'm happy it makes the entrance more private and people won't be walking close to the house's door/windows.

Two squares down the road there is a kids playground, so I hope they will hang out on that playground rather than at my door . I could also add a small rail on top of the wall as Tails142 suggested, and make it impossible to sit on.
Or just some broken glass

Looks nice with the wall.....and a rail. Ask the builder to put it up. Tell him you're worried about it being a hangout for the locals.
Thanks from:
29-10-2019, 15:02   #54
cruizer101

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack of all View Post
The brick wall would be more attractive and marks the space as yours, however I forsee one small issue with it- you could have kids sitting on it and causing a nuisance perhaps?
Few wall top planters should solve that, something like:
Advertisement
29-10-2019, 15:04   #55
Peatys

Think the wall looks better..
29-10-2019, 15:08   #56
albernazj93

Quote:
Originally Posted by careless sherpa View Post
It is not a great finish there either as there is a little bank to the right of the step in that photo with peddle finish. Would give it a couple of months and the peddles would have slipped.

That's true, I had not thought about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeBoats View Post
I think having the wall there is an improvement. Granted, you're not going to have the nice stone paving, but it will act as a barrier from the sidewalk.

True. I was wondering if people would be walking to close to the windows/door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kceire View Post
OP, what is the distance from the house to the edge of the paving in the attached picture?

This needs to be 900mm to comply with Technical Guidance Document Part M.

Would be great if they continued the wall around the much bed and stop it at your vehicular entrance. It would really give you a sense of a private garden.

Let's see what they are going to do. I will post a photo in here. If they do not continue until the car entrance, I hope they make a way to go from the sidewalk to the entrance rather than only through the car park.

Not sure how wide it is, I will measure it next time I go there.

Here is a pic that shows better that area:

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmocab View Post
I think the small wall looks better and is better demarcation than the cobble lock anyway. This seems like a good solution. Best of luck.

Yeah, thank God. I was the whole weekend wondering about it. From hell to heaven today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatranska View Post
Or just some broken glass

Looks nice with the wall.....and a rail. Ask the builder to put it up. Tell him you're worried about it being a hangout for the locals.

Haha

I might ask them on the snag day. Good idea. I don't think they would do it though.
29-10-2019, 15:29   #57
Thoie

Quote:
I've just returned from the building site. I got to talk with a builder, he was extremely helpful and brought me into the office which I had a chance to speak with the engineers.

They explained to me that my house is higher than the road, they had no other way to build the house's entrance. However, they are going to build a small wall along the concrete area. Also, they brought me to see another house which has the same finish.

<snip>

What do you guys think?

Regarding the solicitor, I agree with you guys, his answer seems strange as he should be "fighting" on my side and never tell me to take or leave. As I might be called to sign off by the end of this week or the next one, it would be a big headache to change a solicitor at this stage, however as soon as everything gets sorted and I move in, I will happily come back here and post his name.

I got surprised at the number of answers I got here and the way you all tried to help me. I appreciate that, thank you so much!!!
The small wall (matching your house colour) will work well and resolve the issue I feel if you're happy with it.

However, do not sign anything until the snagging is done, the builders have rectified things, and then you've agreed that they're rectified properly.

The builders' solicitors (and your own, by the sound of things) will be pressuring you to close out. Once you sign the closing paperwork, your chances of getting anything fixed drops away to practically zero.

Despite this not being my first time around, I left them away with one or two small things on my snag list that they promised would get sorted, and 15 months later they're not done, and I suspect I can go whistle for them at this point. When you do your snag list (or get someone to do it for you), make a note to yourself of the things that you will not sign without. Don't share that with anyone, keep it to yourself.

IIRC it took about 2 months from the date I did my snag list to me signing the paperwork, as the builders kept putting off fixes, or doing them wrong, etc. The whole time I was getting nasty letters from their side pressuring me to close out. Each time I just replied with the list of oustanding items, and reiterating that I was looking forward to signing once all items were complete. In the end it was their own solicitors putting pressure on them that got the builders to fix things.

Don't feel like "this item is too trivial to put on the snag list". Put everything on there. You can be willing to let a few of them go later on, but if they're not on the list they don't exist.
Thanks from:
29-10-2019, 16:38   #58
MrMusician18

It will be hard to build a wall there at the front with all the manholes, unless they build it at the lower level.

I wouldn't like all those chamber covers outside my front door either.
29-10-2019, 16:42   #59
billybonkers

The wall looks better yes, but how will they build a wall over the manhole covers?
29-10-2019, 16:49   #60
Dolbhad

It’s a **** situation. However new build contracts are very onerous and cover the builder is nearly every situation to change as much as they need to without needing additional planning. I don’t think a different solicitor would have helped. To be honest attitudes of builders is take it or leave it. I know of people who’s solicitors have tried to amend to modify clauses and it’s not allowed. All they can do is highlight the clauses, which they did, and hope no changes are made. You are at the builders mercy to change this. There won’t be anything in your contract to help you - your builder would have made sure of it.

So in reality your option is now with the builder, which is what your doing to see how it can be improved.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion