Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-10-2019, 13:21   #31
Effects

Will he rectify it as cheaply as possible though? i.e. with a rail.
What's the reason for him going so high in the first place? The sewer/manhole below the cover doesn't need the height, does it?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-10-2019, 13:23   #32
kceire

Some issues that jump out at me :

Concrete Ramp and visual contrast on the access route to a dwelling.
step and risk of falls due to lack of visual contrast. The paving have darker side kerbs which achieve this.
Wheelchair access on new dwellings is from the car parking spot so the step doesn't effect this here (TGD Part M).
Was the paving counted towards their SuDs calculation ans is the concrete hard standing compiant with the greater regional code of practice for drainage works which would of having to be complied with as part of this build.

Overall its a nice finish to the concrete, its well paid but its nowhere near as nice as the paving.
(3) thanks from:
29-10-2019, 13:29   #33
drunkmonkey

Is is even legal to use that solicitor, there's an obvious conflict of interest they shouldn't have taken you as a client.
You might be best off asking friends and family for recommendations of solicitors and surveyor's etc than on an internet forum.
Thanks from:
29-10-2019, 13:54   #34
Cuddlesworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkmonkey View Post
Is is even legal to use that solicitor, there's an obvious conflict of interest they shouldn't have taken you as a client.
You might be best off asking friends and family for recommendations of solicitors and surveyor's etc than on an internet forum.
Contracts are signed. The best option that the OP could ask for is some bridge between what's there and what he wants. Like a 1-2 brick high wall around the edge of the concrete path.
(2) thanks from:
29-10-2019, 14:03   #35
DesperateDan

If someone is delivering junk mail and trips and breaks their ankle on that, who is at fault?
Advertisement
29-10-2019, 14:11   #36
SozBbz

OP is it worth thinking about the councils role in all this?

A friend recnelty had a new house delayed because the CoCo wouldnt sign off on a particular feature. Builder was forced to rectify before council would sign off on the development.

Start diplomatically, but perhaps suggest to the builder that theres a safety issue in relation to the height of the step and that you have been advised that the council may not sign off. Might get them thinking anyway.
Thanks from:
29-10-2019, 14:20   #37
albernazj93

I've just returned from the building site. I got to talk with a builder, he was extremely helpful and brought me into the office which I had a chance to speak with the engineers.

They explained to me that my house is higher than the road, they had no other way to build the house's entrance. However, they are going to build a small wall along the concrete area. Also, they brought me to see another house which has the same finish.

This is my house:

This is the small wall they are going to build:

What do you guys think?

Regarding the solicitor, I agree with you guys, his answer seems strange as he should be "fighting" on my side and never tell me to take or leave. As I might be called to sign off by the end of this week or the next one, it would be a big headache to change a solicitor at this stage, however as soon as everything gets sorted and I move in, I will happily come back here and post his name.

I got surprised at the number of answers I got here and the way you all tried to help me. I appreciate that, thank you so much!!!
29-10-2019, 14:23   #38
albernazj93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddlesworth View Post
Who also works for the builder. Who did you get to do the snag?

I still haven't got anyone to do the snag. I'll pick someone online or a friend's indication.

Never again getting someone suggested by builder or sellers.
29-10-2019, 14:24   #39
Deagol

If they build the small wall along the front, as long as there's enough clearance to get a wheelchair / buggy along I'd go with it. It will be a more private entrance separated from the main pathway that way IMO.
Advertisement
29-10-2019, 14:27   #40
albernazj93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SozBbz View Post
OP is it worth thinking about the councils role in all this?

A friend recnelty had a new house delayed because the CoCo wouldnt sign off on a particular feature. Builder was forced to rectify before council would sign off on the development.

Start diplomatically, but perhaps suggest to the builder that theres a safety issue in relation to the height of the step and that you have been advised that the council may not sign off. Might get them thinking anyway.

Thanks, that would definitely be an option!
29-10-2019, 14:30   #41
cruizer101

I'd probably be happier with the small wall, it gives a certain amount of privacy and makes that space yours.
29-10-2019, 14:30   #42
Tails142

Cobblelock will be a constant trouble with weeds and look terrible after a few years. Concrete much better, will powerwash clean very well, to my eye, you could put a nice black cast iron style railing along that concrete kerb with a nice gate, make the space your own, boundaries below a certain height are exempt from planning.
29-10-2019, 14:30   #43
albernazj93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deagol View Post
If they build the small wall along the front, as long as there's enough clearance to get a wheelchair / buggy along I'd go with it. It will be a more private entrance separated from the main pathway that way IMO.

Yeah, I agree it would be more private, I actually kind liked this wall idea. By the size of the concrete area, I think there will be a good space to get a wheelchair/buggy through it.
29-10-2019, 14:35   #44
pm1977x

Just keep in mind that if you are one of only 2 houses in the estate with a wall like that it may well end up becoming a hang out spot for the local kids, which could be a bigger pain long term, unless they make it as uncomfortable as possible to sit on.

Apart from that it looks like a lovely house, congrats.
(3) thanks from:
29-10-2019, 14:38   #45
jack of all

The brick wall would be more attractive and marks the space as yours, however I forsee one small issue with it- you could have kids sitting on it and causing a nuisance perhaps?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion