Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-10-2019, 11:39   #16
mickdw

Your mistake was appointing a solicitor suggested by the builder.
You can clearly see by their response that they are leaning towards the builder.
I deal with pre purchase surveys etc regularly and to be honest, I would expect your solicitor to strongly represent your side and claim initially at least in writing that the works are not as agreed / as per site layout drawings and would need to be rectified or deem the contract void and return deposit.
Whether there was a leg to stand on would be teased out after that but for your solicitor to straight up tell you take it or loose deposit is scandalous in my opinion.
The paving can be completed where manholes are needed. There are recessed manhole covers that allow paving stones sit into the cover and look very well.
If they don't play ball, have an Engineer/surveyor on your behalf (and not one suggested by the builder) inspect the finished works for planning and building regulation compliance.
If would not surprise me if thousands of euro worth of remedial works could be found by thorough surveyor.

Last edited by mickdw; 29-10-2019 at 11:46.
Advertisement
29-10-2019, 11:46   #17
salmocab

Quote:
Originally Posted by albernazj93 View Post
One of the others two houses I posted has a high step too and they made small steps made of bricks too. They could have done the same to mine I think
The other step looks a bit smaller from the pictures. You have more shores than the other house too which are close to the edge too. I’d say the builder won’t be keen to do too much
29-10-2019, 11:47   #18
albernazj93

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdw View Post
You can clearly see by their response that they are leaning towards the builder.
I deal with pre purchase surveys etc regularly and to be honest, I would expect your solicitor to strongly represent your side and claim initially at least in writing that the works are not as agreed / as per site layout drawings and would need to be rectified or deem the contract void and return deposit.
Whether there was a leg to stand on would be teased out after that but for your solicitor to straight up tell you take it or loose deposit is scandalous in my opinion.

I agree with you. That was a mistake. Never thought of that. Actually, it was suggested by Knight Frank.

I haven't posted the solicitor name in here and I hope don't need to get to that. I'll be in touch with him and post in here his answers.
Thanks from:
29-10-2019, 11:51   #19
albernazj93

Quote:
The paving can be completed where manholes are needed. There are recessed manhole covers that allow paving stones sit into the cover and look very well.
If they don't play ball, have an Engineer/surveyor on your behalf (and not one suggested by the builder) inspect the finished works for planning and building regulation compliance.
If would not surprise me if thousands of euro worth of remedial works could be found by thorough surveyor.

What does a surveyor does exactly? Would you suggest me one, please?

Also I still need to do the snagging. Could I put this fix on the snagging list? I guess they can refuse to fix it anyway even in the snigging list

Last edited by albernazj93; 29-10-2019 at 11:58.
29-10-2019, 12:04   #20
LillySV

best of luck to ya on this...i wuld be raging too if my house got a shoddy finosh in comparison to others
Advertisement
29-10-2019, 12:10   #21
MrMusician18

Quote:
The page 8 shows my house type

http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/North...s/00571286.pdf

Can't really find anything regarding the material or level
It should be on the roads/engineering drawinds
Thanks from:
29-10-2019, 12:14   #22
albernazj93

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillySV View Post
best of luck to ya on this...i wuld be raging too if my house got a shoddy finosh in comparison to others

Thanks. I hope they fixed it. It's just not fair at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMusician18 View Post
It should be on the roads/engineering drawinds

Thanks. I'm still digging into these files. They are all scanned pictures, so its hard to search for specific words.
29-10-2019, 12:18   #23
mickdw

Quote:
What does a surveyor does exactly? Would you suggest me one, please?

Also I still need to do the snagging. Could I put this fix on the snagging list? I guess they can refuse to fix it anyway even in the snigging list
If you get a full survey, you can instruct them to try to find any and all aspects of non compliance. There will surely be some.
The surveyor would go through the property checking for building regulation issues, planning issues and structural issues - just as a get out of jail to get your deposit back if needed.
I'm not local to you so couldn't suggest anyone.
I don't see why this path couldn't have been narrowed and some grass incorporated.
I note the majority of the path runs at finished floor level whereas typically path would only be brought up to floor level at entrance. There can be a danger of moisture penetration to the building in such circumstances.
(3) thanks from:
29-10-2019, 12:22   #24
easypazz

Change solicitor. A bit of a pain but the crowd you are dealing with are not on your side.

A railing along in front of the house has been suggested and may solve the problem.

As somebody else said, if you get in an engineer / surveryor they will most likely find things that will cost the builder a lot of money to rectify.

That step is at a dangerous height, no engineer can sign off on that.
Advertisement
29-10-2019, 12:28   #25
Cuddlesworth

Quote:
I'm not local to you so couldn't suggest anyone.
I don't see why this path couldn't have been narrowed and some grass incorporated.
I note the majority of the path runs at finished floor level whereas typically path would only be brought up to floor level at entrance. There can be a danger of moisture penetration to the building in such circumstances.
All new builds have to be wheelchair accessible on the ground level. A step would stop that.
29-10-2019, 12:29   #26
Cuddlesworth

Quote:
I agree with you. That was a mistake. Never thought of that. Actually, it was suggested by Knight Frank.
Who also works for the builder. Who did you get to do the snag?
Thanks from:
29-10-2019, 12:47   #27
Effects

Quote:
I really hope it was just a mistake and they will fix it.
Getting a developer/builder to change something of that sort of cost would be a hard struggle.
Thanks from:
29-10-2019, 13:11   #28
BarryD2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effects View Post
Getting a developer/builder to change something of that sort of cost would be a hard struggle.
In the greater scheme of things, I doubt the cost of rectifying it to the purchasers consent would be that great. Looks on the photo that the height of the step here is related to the drains, so the builder may be a bit constrained there. But the cost of removing a few metres of concrete and replacing it with a finish more compatible with the rest of the estate is hardly going to break them. They may have to make the difference in height wheelchair accessible and incorporate a rail but that's not a fortune.
Thanks from:
29-10-2019, 13:15   #29
easypazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effects View Post
Leaving the step that high is a liability to the builder. Builder will have to rectify it.
(2) thanks from:
29-10-2019, 13:18   #30
mickdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddlesworth View Post
All new builds have to be wheelchair accessible on the ground level. A step would stop that.
I'm aware of that. My point was that much of this path stays up at floor level which is not great.
Typically, you would drop the path as soon as possible after the ramp.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion