Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-11-2019, 09:26   #241
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Reeves View Post
I would not accept that every terrace house in the development is in the same position. When you exit the a terrace houses you can go left or right along the front of another terrace house to access an escape point further down the way.
You have no choice but to accept it unfortunately.
You cant design a means of escape through an adjoining property. The adjoining property may have grass, or pebbles, or loose stone and a wheelchair cannot move through this, or a person using walking aids, that's the reason Part M calls for a 900mm hard standing path from the car to the entrance or from the site boundary to the entrance.

Furthermore, when you move in, the adjoining owner can legally without planning erect a fence, build a wall to the front, thus making your escape idea null and void.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Reeves View Post
In this case a person in a wheelchair has only one egress point and that is via the parked cars along a 900-1000mm exit path as far as the cars which may block there rapid escape way to safety.
900mm is the requirement and that's more than enough.
Advertisement
06-11-2019, 09:32   #242
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdw View Post
I think part M refers to minimum driveway width where a driveway forms part of the sloped access.
This might be worth a quick check just to be sure they are not being tight.

TGD Part M, Section 3.1.2.1(b)
Quote:
the approach may, in whole or in part, form part of an on site driveway. Where this occurs, the driveway should be at least 3600 mm wide so as to allow adequate access width beside parked cars;
It would appear that the OP's house can hold 2 cars so the width must be at least 4800mm.

TGD Part M, Section 3.1.2.1(c)
Quote:
a raised kerb, at least 100 mm high, should be provided on any open side of an approach where the adjacent ground is not graded to the approach. Refer to TGD K for guidance on the provision of guarding;
There's also an argument that you should have a 100mm raised kerb along the access route that separates it from the grass/clay to the front of your property.
08-11-2019, 19:59   #243
albernazj93

Hey guys,
I did the snagging yesterday. The site manager said they will make the second path and make the current one (from driveway) wider.

Apparently they have changed their mind for some reason. Anyway, I had said few days before that I would come with an engineer to look into all the planning documents, etc.

I will share some pics with yous:

3 pics from outside showing the wall. I like the fact it's not straight, it's kinda curved following the sidewalk curve. Also, by the heigh of it, I don't think anyone will be sitting there.

The manholes :s

The end of the wall. The big gap will be filled

The gardeen. They said they are unable to finish the gardeen because of the weather. They will come as soon as the weather gets better.
I don't think I will be having a BBQ in this garden any soon :s

08-11-2019, 20:10   #244
funkey_monkey

3rd to last photo are those drains in the mortar to prevent the water from pooling?
Something a bit more substantial would have been better as it would block easy - but then again you can unblock it easily and you'll have to undertake some maintenance/upkeep on your new property!

It'll all be worth it when you finally get to move in and enjoy it.
09-11-2019, 08:34   #245
chooseusername

I like the workaround to accommodate the manhole cover in by the wall.
Nice house btw. enjoy it .

Everything is going to be fine in the end.
If it's not fine it's not the end.”
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-11-2019, 11:39   #246
mickdw

Good to hear they changed their mind.
I'm sure they didn't like to hear you were intend to have an Engineer go through everything and just said they will do what you are looking for.
The extra little entrance is just about the easiest way to finish the area anyway.
09-11-2019, 13:02   #247
kceire

Nice OP. Hope you are happy with the outcome. I’d also ask them to fill the gap between the red brick wall and the smooth rendered higher wall. Some form of mastic/sealant in my opinion.

I’d also ask about what is happening where the small red brick wall ends and the much patch (landscaping) begins.
At this stage of the purchase I’d ask the builder or the Brickie’s on site if they continue that wall around for a fair price.

You’ll thank yourself later for getting it done now.
Thanks from:
09-11-2019, 17:31   #248
easypazz

slightly OT but boundries between houses in estates should really be of concrete blocks. As people grow shrubs etc. against fences they tend to encroach, and timber eventually breaks down.

Most people end up building a concrete wall anyway. Its best do it at the start.
Thanks from:
09-11-2019, 18:37   #249
forgottenhills

OP, I still think that a low railing on top of the wall would set it off better.

I would personally have aimed for something like one of the these:

wall1.jpg

wall3.jpg
Advertisement
09-11-2019, 19:24   #250
easypazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottenhills View Post
OP, I still think that a low railing on top of the wall would set it off better.

I would personally have aimed for something like one of the these:

Attachment 494872

Attachment 494873
The risk of kids sitting on walls is not the builders problem. Op would need to retrofit those at his own expense afterwards, pricey enough little job, could be ballpark €1000 if made to order.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion