Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-11-2019, 13:19   #9301
Chesty08

I am looking to start drawing down on a mortgage from January 2020 for a self build. Everything else is lined up and ready to go.

Ideally I want variable rate so I can put lump sums off over the period of time.

Who is currently best on market for FTB for variable rate. I’m reading BOI as 4.2% and AIB as 2.95% which is a big difference.

Any insights would be much appreciated
Advertisement
07-11-2019, 07:59   #9302
GingerLily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesty08 View Post
I am looking to start drawing down on a mortgage from January 2020 for a self build. Everything else is lined up and ready to go.

Ideally I want variable rate so I can put lump sums off over the period of time.

Who is currently best on market for FTB for variable rate. I’m reading BOI as 4.2% and AIB as 2.95% which is a big difference.

Have you considered partially fixing your loan? That way you can get the benefit of fixing with good interest rates and certainty but leave a percentage variable that you can pay back at any time over the fixed life cycle!
07-11-2019, 09:08   #9303
Chesty08

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerLily View Post
Have you considered partially fixing your loan? That way you can get the benefit of fixing with good interest rates and certainty but leave a percentage variable that you can pay back at any time over the fixed life cycle!
This was mentioned to me but wasn’t sure entirely how it works, how much I need at fixed & how much %. Required at variable

Probsbly makes sense though from an interest paying perspective
07-11-2019, 09:53   #9304
GingerLily

Quote:
This was mentioned to me but wasn’t sure entirely how it works, how much I need at fixed & how much %. Required at variable

Probsbly makes sense though from an interest paying perspective
Thats up to you- if it were me, I'd figure out what the max amount I'd be overpaying in the space of the fixed term and just assign that much to the variable amount.
08-11-2019, 12:07   #9305
KingCong

Quote:

Looks at Ulster Bank, some of the lowest fixed rates and you can overpay up to 10% of the total mortgage each year while fixed without penalty.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-11-2019, 23:04   #9306
Bargain_Hound

Has anybody successfully drawn down a mortgage while on probation in a new job?
08-11-2019, 23:11   #9307
Dolbhad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargain_Hound View Post
Has anybody successfully drawn down a mortgage while on probation in a new job?
As far as I know you can’t, they will issue a loan offer while your on probation but it will be a special condition that probation must be over by the time you drawn down.
08-11-2019, 23:23   #9308
Trimm Trabb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolbhad View Post
As far as I know you can’t, they will issue a loan offer while your on probation but it will be a special condition that probation must be over by the time you drawn down.
Do they actually ask for current documentation at drawdown (eg statement of earnings/bank statements from last 6 months again) or do they just proceed with documentation supplied at time of loan offer?
09-11-2019, 20:50   #9309
Interested Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimm Trabb View Post
Do they actually ask for current documentation at drawdown (eg statement of earnings/bank statements from last 6 months again) or do they just proceed with documentation supplied at time of loan offer?
From my experience they don't ask for any more documents, just a letter from your employer stating you're off probation.

I applied while on probation with a view to drawing down once through it, worked out fine. Our broker told us KBC were willing to waive the probation condition but I never saw that in writing and as things turned out we drew down afterwards anyway.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-11-2019, 21:50   #9310
Dolbhad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimm Trabb View Post
They will say they may require updated document on drawdown but don’t know anybody whose has been asked. Also if your mortgage bank is the same bank as your current account is with, they could easily check anyway so I would keep the finances the same. Maybe if your about a week away from loan offer expiring and requesting funds they will ask. They will do another credit check to ensure no additional loans or credit cards have been taken out.
Thanks from:
09-11-2019, 23:00   #9311
Dylan94

Does anyone know long new developments tend to last? We are only starting to save now, and are hoping to be ready to buy around September/October. If it doesnt work out, it could be as late as next December though.

The new barnhall meadows in Lexlip would be perfect for us, its 450 houses and launched last weekend. Is there any hope that the final phase wont be sold by then?
10-11-2019, 00:08   #9312
Empty_Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan94 View Post
Does anyone know long new developments tend to last? We are only starting to save now, and are hoping to be ready to buy around September/October. If it doesnt work out, it could be as late as next December though.

The new barnhall meadows in Lexlip would be perfect for us, its 450 houses and launched last weekend. Is there any hope that the final phase wont be sold by then?
The market will have an impact I think.

Builders these days like to slowly release to keep demand high. I dont think December next year will be too late.

I had a look at those houses, which size were you looking at?. Smaller ones looked cramped to me.
Good location but the motorway behind is very loud I felt. I recommend you go there at rush out in morning and listen.
10-11-2019, 09:40   #9313
Dylan94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Space View Post
The market will have an impact I think.

Builders these days like to slowly release to keep demand high. I dont think December next year will be too late.

I had a look at those houses, which size were you looking at?. Smaller ones looked cramped to me.
Good location but the motorway behind is very loud I felt. I recommend you go there at rush out in morning and listen.
We aren't sure yet about the size, it'll depend on what variation they have when we are buying, I was going for a four bed, but I prefer the upstairs layout of the three bed. I suppose it will depend on what types they have when we are ready.

I'll check it out, but the motorway noise won't bother me. I previously lived 150 meters from a train track, and about 800m from the m50.
11-11-2019, 19:05   #9314
scarepanda

I know no one can give a definitive answer, but what's the general consensus from those of you with more knowledge than I, with regards to what's most likely to happen with interest rates in the next 3-5 years? At this moment in time would you go with a 3 or 5 year fixed?

Also, for those that went with PTSB, was the 2% lump-sum back on drawdown mentioned in the loan approval letter?
11-11-2019, 19:28   #9315
Interested Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarepanda View Post
I know no one can give a definitive answer, but what's the general consensus from those of you with more knowledge than I, with regards to what's most likely to happen with interest rates in the next 3-5 years? At this moment in time would you go with a 3 or 5 year fixed?

Also, for those that went with PTSB, was the 2% lump-sum back on drawdown mentioned in the loan approval letter?
Anybody who gives you an actual answer to this is a spoofer.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion