Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-11-2019, 10:50   #31
Cyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauf View Post
Its usually dependent on the builder you use.

A bad builder will be consistently bad, likewise a good one will be consistently good.

The only way to know good anything is, is by measuring and testing it.
Air tightness and low heating costs can be calculated.
again i am speaking in general terms, building regulations now are much more stringent than they were before, therefore in general houses are built to a higher standard.

the same bad builder will build bad houses regardless, but they will be worse when stds were less onerous.
Advertisement
08-11-2019, 10:58   #32
Cyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SozBbz View Post
I wouldnt have any concerns about housed built from 2014 onwards re build quality, its probably the 20 year period before that that would give me issues on that score.

The issue for me is that 90% of new builds just arent to my personal taste and the density requirements in my preferred area mean that they're all going to be relatively close together, so things that were important to us, like being detached, having side access and a big back garden were unlikely in a new build.

My OH likes to be able to play music loudly which would not be great in a 3 story terrace. He also has a lot of bikes, so the hosue we bought enables us to have a massive shed at the back of the garden, but still plenty of space. He has side access to bring them in any out (they went through the house in our last place which drove me spare because the walls were in bits)

All of these factors were more important to us that an energy rating.

On the subject of the of the value of the BER.... I've not found our new house that bad, although granted its not been extremely cold yet.

We're getting some work done in the coming weeks to insulate the attic which should help. The windows are double glazed (although some of it older double glazing) I really don't think its going to be that bad.

Long term plan is to rip the place apart in 5+ years so we'll manage with warm jumpers until then
got you, i understand there are a 100 factors and stuff like privacy, ability to play loud music, store bikes are as important as anything else.

for us i think we have the best of both worlds but it wouldnt suite everyone, we have a small estate, everyone moved in at the same time so there is a great community amongst the neighbours but at the same time everyone is respectful of everyone elses privacy. We have side access and a big garden but not all the houses do.

3 story houses arent for everyone though, for one thing if they are all the same size in sq feet, a bungalow will feel bigger than a two story and a two story will feel bigger than a 3 story. Also 3 stories can be painful with a baby!
08-11-2019, 11:06   #33
beauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
again i am speaking in general terms, building regulations now are much more stringent than they were before, therefore in general houses are built to a higher standard.....
I have the same issue with this as I do with new laws. If there is no enforcement, then standards, and laws are ignored.
08-11-2019, 12:50   #34
Bdjsjsjs
Banned

A lot of posters here have mentioned that high rated homes are not necessary and that hoing to B might be over kill for a retrofit. It's true that a home doesn't have to reach B to be comfortable and I'm not sure retrofitting to B has any payback let alone a good one, however with new regulations we won't have a choice. All renovations that affect over 25 % of a property require the house to reach BER B2.
Thanks from:
08-11-2019, 12:52   #35
smelly sock

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloooof View Post
Apologies if this is off topic, but any ballpark ideas on what it may cost to get a D or E rated house up to B rating? I know it's "how long is a piece of string" territory, but any info you have would be much appreciated. (We're at the beginning of a process of renovation and don't know where to start, so all advice greatly accepted....)
Not sure if it's possible.

My house built in the mid 80's was e3 rated.

I had external insulation along with the attic fully insulated. It brought it up to a D1.

I wouldn't obsess to much about the rating though. The house is way more comfortable now and I've gone from having the heating on 4-5 hours a day in the current weather to 2 hours a day in total.
Advertisement
08-11-2019, 13:32   #36
gwakamoley

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelly sock View Post
Not sure if it's possible.

My house built in the mid 80's was e3 rated.

I had external insulation along with the attic fully insulated. It brought it up to a D1.

I wouldn't obsess to much about the rating though. The house is way more comfortable now and I've gone from having the heating on 4-5 hours a day in the current weather to 2 hours a day in total.
Almost all the houses on this year's Room To Improve managed to get an A rating, and some of them were ancient and kept large parts of the existing house. It's possible if you throw enough money at it and know the big boxes to tick.
08-11-2019, 13:42   #37
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdjsjsjs View Post
A lot of posters here have mentioned that high rated homes are not necessary and that hoing to B might be over kill for a retrofit. It's true that a home doesn't have to reach B to be comfortable and I'm not sure retrofitting to B has any payback let alone a good one, however with new regulations we won't have a choice. All renovations that affect over 25 % of a property require the house to reach BER B2.
Is it not an extension of over 25m^2, e.g. non planning exempt? Most renovations don't require planning permission and would affect over 25% of the house quite quickly!

External insulation and solar water would get me there on my house, but its terraced - detached will be painfully expensive to do for most. Already gone F->C3 with new windows, attic insulation and heating work.
08-11-2019, 13:48   #38
SozBbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwakamoley View Post
Almost all the houses on this year's Room To Improve managed to get an A rating, and some of them were ancient and kept large parts of the existing house. It's possible if you throw enough money at it and know the big boxes to tick.
Yep, well i think its the law now that if you're doing a substantial enough extention, that you have to bring the whole house up to an B standard.

On Room to Improve, I think some of the houses were retrofitted to A standard to avail of grants.
08-11-2019, 13:50   #39
beauf

Yes but in a lot of those property programs people throw money that they will never get back in energy savings, at these things, then go bust and lose a ton of money.
Advertisement
08-11-2019, 23:21   #40
Bdjsjsjs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
Is it not an extension of over 25m^2, e.g. non planning exempt? Most renovations don't require planning permission and would affect over 25% of the house quite quickly!

External insulation and solar water would get me there on my house, but its terraced - detached will be painfully expensive to do for most. Already gone F->C3 with new windows, attic insulation and heating work.
Could be! Hopefully someone here will clarify, either way it is a rule of consequence. There is fear this rule will greatly damage the external insulation industry.
12-11-2019, 09:13   #41
aloooof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdjsjsjs View Post
I had heard talk of this previously, but has this regulation actually come in now?
12-11-2019, 09:49   #42
cruizer101

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloooof View Post
I had heard talk of this previously, but has this regulation actually come in now?
From November according to this Irish Times article
Thanks from:
12-11-2019, 11:47   #43
pwurple

Ah it's a bit of mumbo jumbo isn't it really though?
We got our house from an E to a C1 by replacing windows and boiler.

We got it from a C to a B by taking out the lightbulbs.
12-11-2019, 13:19   #44
Markcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwurple View Post

Yeah, that's true... Its is a box ticking excercise rather than an actual tested efficency report,
But changing windows and replacing the boiler are fairly big expense, and (probably) big result items, attic insulation, led lights and say a lagging jacket are fairly low cost, reasonably easy items, that can still have a big result...And are well worth while.

You might go for solar hot water, or photovoltaic, which could get you an another boost but not really get a return on investment...
In general airtightness (and then controllable ventilation), and insulation (and controllable heating) are gonna get you a return, improve your rating and most important, make your house more comfortable.
12-11-2019, 21:13   #45
Bdjsjsjs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwurple View Post

The worry is that you might have a situation where people want to get a big retrofit like external wall insulation but it wont bring the house to Ber B so therefore the retrofit won't happen

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion