Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-11-2019, 08:26   #136
antix80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalamariFritti View Post
So you're saying its all out cut throat style? Any - for want of a better word - ethical consideration does not come into it? If the rent paid your cost/mortagage/whatever three times over you'd still keep turning the screw if the market gives that?
Make hay while the sun shines.
Advertisement
06-11-2019, 08:30   #137
CalamariFritti

It seems bit short sighted though. And it will diminish your chances of a hassle free long term tenancy with both sides being happy, I'm not a landlord but I would think such a strategy would result in a revolving door lettings where the tenants will also take every opportunity to get one back over the landlord like not paying and dragging the arse out of eviction and leaving the place in a state etc. I guess it suits some but it wouldn't be for me from either side.
06-11-2019, 08:31   #138
Iamxavier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocentral View Post
Plus Germans aren't a bunch of greedy bastards like the Irish.
What utter nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaptopGremlin View Post
muh
So much cringe!

Quote:
Theoretically - we're only as strong as our weakest link.

Housing is a right - at least when you'e not living in some despotic third world culdesac from hell.
More rubbish, what planet are you actually living on?

Housing is a right, oh wow!
Thanks from:
06-11-2019, 08:38   #139
Dav010

Quote:
It seems bit short sighted though. And it will diminish your chances of a hassle free long term tenancy with both sides being happy, I'm not a landlord but I would think such a strategy would result in a revolving door lettings where the tenants will also take every opportunity to get one back over the landlord like not paying and dragging the arse out of eviction and leaving the place in a state etc. I guess it suits some but it wouldn't be for me from either side.
Short sighted in what way?

Let’s say for argument sake you give a €150 discount on the property in question, this would still be €50 above what it was the last time the op viewed it. That would be €1800 over one year, €3600 over two. Would you refuse an €1800 pay increase if it was offered to you? Would you be happy to have to take that amount out of your wages to pay the mortgage if interest rates go up, baring in mind they are currently at a historic low?

In the current market, I think most landlords welcome short term 6-12 month lets, particularly if they are considering selling which it seems obvious many are as evidenced my the 50k who have left over the past couple of years.

I really think you will have to wait until tens of thousands of your own money is tied up in an asset that you having to pay a monthly mortgage on, before you can appreciate the importance of rental income and maximising profits.

And as an aside, I have high rental city apartments, I also have a beautiful 4 bed house which I will complete the sale on this week or next. The house was low rent, guess which property got wrecked? The low cost house.

Last edited by Dav010; 06-11-2019 at 08:43.
(2) thanks from:
06-11-2019, 08:40   #140
CalamariFritti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
Maximising profits on an investment is not unethical or cut throat, this is an investment, not philanthropy.
This ignores the fact that housing isn't just like any other type of commodity. Renting out a place to live in for someone else is not quite the same as selling latte macchiatos. Housing is part of a functioning society and ownership has not just entitlement to profits but it also brings responsibilities I would have thought .
Advertisement
06-11-2019, 08:46   #141
Dav010

Quote:
This ignores the fact that housing isn't just like any other type of commodity. Renting out a place to live in for someone else is not quite the same as selling latte macchiatos. Housing is part of a functioning society and ownership has not just entitlement to profits but it also brings responsibilities I would have thought .
To you perhaps, to the person struggling to pay a mortgage on it or worried about the people he/she has let into it, it is very much a commodity/service which has to be paid for. It is not the property owners responsibility to provide accommodation at a rate which benefits society as a whole.

You are right about it not being like selling coffee, if the consumer doesn’t want to pay for the coffee or messes up your shop, you can refuse service and ask them to leave.

Last edited by Dav010; 06-11-2019 at 08:53.
(2) thanks from:
06-11-2019, 09:49   #142
Graham

Quote:
I'd cover my costs and make a fair profit if the market allows it, but I think I'd actually feel a bit shabby to ask for 680 for this.
Quote:
Housing is part of a functioning society and ownership has not just entitlement to profits but it also brings responsibilities I would have thought .
As housing is part of a functioning society, would you advocate Tenants pay above market rate if the market rate is below cost?
Thanks from:
06-11-2019, 12:05   #143
CalamariFritti

I don’t know I’m not begrudging ownership nor am I against making profit. I just find some of the stuff I’m seeing excessive and wonder how people keep a straight face asking for such money for shoe box properties.

They usually say it’s not my fault. It’s the sytem its the market it’s the government etc. But at the end of the day it’s them asking for that crazy money.
06-11-2019, 12:50   #144
The Student

Quote:
I don’t know I’m not begrudging ownership nor am I against making profit. I just find some of the stuff I’m seeing excessive and wonder how people keep a straight face asking for such money for shoe box properties.

They usually say it’s not my fault. It’s the sytem its the market it’s the government etc. But at the end of the day it’s them asking for that crazy money.
It actually is the system, with all of the state interference landlords need to protect themselves because the state wont and has and will continue to introduce legislation that is more tenant focused and anti landlord.

What you need to be mindful of is that at the end of the day its a business transaction pure and simple. Landlords will charge what the market will bear. When the floor fell out of the rental market after the crash tenants could pick and choose accommodation. Tenants were not complaining about low rents then.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-11-2019, 19:49   #145
LaptopGremlin

Pffff - it's been let apparently, cause the ad is taken down.
06-11-2019, 20:01   #146
nox001

Quote:
Hardly surprising, a nice looking apartment in the middle of a large town for 680 euro is good value. Loads of people are paying that to live in a room in a houseshare in other parts of the country.

None of your arguments hold up at all having see the pictures, your complaints simply don’t match the apartment whatsoever.
Thanks from:
07-11-2019, 20:34   #147
kceire

Quote:
Not surprised.
Modern looking.
Clean looking.
Centre of city.
One bedroom.
Privacy.
Only €680 a month.

A couples dream.
08-11-2019, 22:58   #148
the_syco

Quote:
It's either ask for crazy money, or get fined for not accepting HAP.
08-11-2019, 23:06   #149
biko
Arbiter

Quote:
700 big ones.
You know "big ones" means 1000 yeah?
(2) thanks from:
12-11-2019, 09:43   #150
redarmyblues

Sligo is one of the cheapest place to rent in Ireland according to a piece in the Indo today coming 30th of 36 local authority areas with an average rent of 790e pm.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion