Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Omerta and Sinn Fein

• 20-11-2019 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,028 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://thecritic.co.uk/a-crooked-eye/?fbclid=IwAR1zgvJNmRkUk-Ovux8hKXyzYktT3oO7uhksHvE6ApvFgo8dgVSvV3V9zks

A very interesting article on a British website by Slugger O'Toole which addresses the issue of media reluctance to criticise Sinn Fein. The kernel of the argument seems to be as follows:

"The presumption seems to be that in order for the peace settlement to work, everyone else (but especially unionist politicians) must be scrutinised to within an inch of their lives. Whereas Sinn Féin is too dark and deep a hole for any journalist to contemplate looking into for more than a few fleeting moments."

Some of the issues I was well familiar with - SF refusing to get the Assembly going again, the hidden vote on SF's deputy leader etc. Some of them I was not as familiar with - e.g. the resentment in SF Northern Ireland towards its concentration on the South - and while I was aware of SF and expenses scandal, I wasn't aware that they had brazened it out while others fell on their swords.

A provocative article but one with many truths contained in it. In my opinion, this should be read for everyone, but I won't be surprised if the Irish media fail to pick up on it - it makes uncomfortable reading for all but a few.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Very interesting article. Thank you for the link OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

It’s understandable that Sinn Fein don’t want to see The Assembly resuming. A Northern Ireland government is an obstacle to Irish unity.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Yes, have never seen the Irish meeja criticise Sinn Fein, not even once. Most odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭mattser

Aaaaaannndd......here we go again. Strap in folks......

mattser wrote: »
    Aaaaaannndd......here we go again. Strap in folks......

You as well, Mattser? Isn't it amazing how many of us there are that have never ever ever encountered a criticism of Sinn Fein in the media!

Glad to see someone has FINALLY broken the omerta.

• Advertisement

• The Irish Independent never habitually bash Sinn Féin during the election cycle...

Not a fan of the Shinners by any stretch, however you're talking through your hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

'Sinn Féin is solely responsible for bringing down Stormont’s power-sharing executive'

Mick Fealty.

This is such unmitigated bullshit. An analogy. Steve's crowd are throwing a house-party. Towards the end of evening Mike's gang were shittting on the kitchen floor, emptying out the drinks cabinet, pulling the curtains off the rails and so on. Steve decides, naturally, to call a halt to the night. Mike protests and blames Steve for ending the event.

Technically Steve brought an end to the party but only because Mike's gang were acting like assholes and they refuse to take responsibility for their disrespectful behaviour.

This analogy is for the neutral readers of this thread as you know exactly why Stormont was shut down yet prefer to side with the DUP, and their junior partners the UUP, against everyone else in the north who want Same Sex Marriage, reproductive rights, and an Irish Language Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The Irish Independent never habitually bash Sinn Féin during the election cycle...

Not a fan of the Shinners by any stretch, however you're talking through your hoop.

About the only thing the indo/sindo shower haven't accused the Shinners of is global warming, and even then I reckon its only a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭Odhinn

blanch152 wrote: »

A provocative article but one with many truths contained in it. In my opinion, this should be read for everyone, but I won't be surprised if the Irish media fail to pick up on it - it makes uncomfortable reading for all but a few.

The "heavy gang" that operated in the Gardai in the 1970's and 1980's were essentially created by and given licence to operate outside the law by the FG/Labour government of the day. Conor Cruise O'Brien gloated over the fact, and alluded to his part in this on a few occassions. The "heavy gang" and the garda notion they were somehow above the law has never been investigated or owned upto by FG or labour, despite the Nicky kelly case, or the kerry babies fiasco.

Do you think its time for FG to own up to the toxic cosgrave legacy and its deeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Odhinn wrote: »
    About the only thing the indo/sindo shower haven't accused the Shinners of is global warming, and even then I reckon its only a matter of time.

I think they have pinned the blame for that on the GAA...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Stupid nonsense. Sections of the media do nothing but bash SF day in and day out. The independent group especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I think Slugger O'Toole is talking more about the UK media being afraid to criticise SF. It is interesting that the very vocal SF bashing from the Irish media is often of a poor standard and insubstantial.

While I have no idea of the merit of the issues raised by the OP they seem to be criticisms of more substance than the usual, "Ra smuggling heroin and their Marxist proposals would instantly crash the economy" type rubbish.

There is definitely a space for informed criticism of SF on issues of substance, as the media criticism is monopolised by eejits. The closest we got was the kick up during the summer over abstention and Fintan O'Tooles suggestion that a bit of imagination from SF in suspending abstention to challenge Brexit could help the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

If anyone dares look into the Sinn Fein cult, it can be dangerous.

Say anything online - get bombarded with whataboutery, deflection and abuse.

Found it amusing that during the whole dup asking the shimmers to condemn certain actions , the internet just filled up with whataboutery and abuse like the above. My personal favorite though was ;stop living in the past, move on ! When the same people would shout what about xyz. Sinn Fein is jammed with murderer apologists and supporters .

I’m a nationalist but criticise Sinn Fein at your own risk

• Registered Users Posts: 66,296 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I agree about the pathetic state of British journalism.
    The rush to google by British people to find out who the DUP were almost shut down the internet.
    Just shows the lack of interest/care in Irish matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

The most criticised party in Ireland by the media, yet you've never seen it. You should go to specsavers:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Yes, have never seen the Irish meeja criticise Sinn Fein, not even once. Most odd.

So they are a mouth piece for government and support Sinn Fein too? Sounds like the media are doing okay.

FYI: you spelled 'Media' incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭maccored

another sinn fein thread from their most ardent supporter who doesnt support them

maccored wrote: »
    another sinn fein thread from their most ardent supporter who doesnt support them

Talk about 'permanently outraged' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭facehugger99

RTE might as well be the SF press office.

They are rarely challenged on any current affair programs in the same way as FF and FG politicians routinely are.

I avoid RTE as much as possible as a news source, but on the odd occasion, I'm astounded at the level of bias routinely shown to SF, and in general to left-wing parties.

RTE tend to draw from a very narrow political gene-pool, you need to be a card-carrying trade unionist who passionately believes in unification and secretly loves the IRA to get hired in their current affairs department.

RTE might as well be the SF press office.

They are rarely challenged on any current affair programs in the same way as FF and FG politicians routinely are.

I avoid RTE as much as possible as a news source, but on the odd occasion, I'm astounded at the level of bias routinely shown to SF, and in general to left-wing parties.

RTE tend to draw from a very narrow political gene-pool, you need to be a card-carrying trade unionist who passionately believes in unification and secretly loves the IRA to get hired in their current affairs department.

Complete baloney. SF get their due based on their pecking order. It's not in RTE's self interest or professional stance to skew their reporting other than in favour of those who pay their bills and that's FG and the public, which I don't think they do either. The idea that they are the champions for the third (give or take) largest party is bizarre quite frankly. The jobs for life D4 gene pool are not Shinners, would you give over ffs...

I can see Ryan Tubbs up to his family tree in Fianna Fail or Lottie Ryan with a 'Holy Armalite Batman, It's the 'RA!' t-shirt :):)

• Advertisement

Complete baloney. SF get their due based on their pecking order. It's not in RTE's self interest or professional stance to skew their reporting other than in favour of those who pay their bills and that's FG and the public, which I don't think they do either. The idea that they are the champions for the third (give or take) largest party is bizarre quite frankly. The jobs for life D4 gene pool are not Shinners, would you give over ffs...

I can see Lottie Ryan with a 'Holy Armalite Batman, It's the 'RA!' t-shirt :):)

Another person that 'avoids' RTE but is an expert on their content. :)

It's like that thread on a Friday night, wedged with people who hate RTE and The Late Late but avidly watching every single detail of the ...wait for it...Late Late and RTE. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

SF come in for a kicking every time they’re mentioned on RTÉ. It’s company policy

How often do you see or hear anyone from SF on RTÉ? Or any station or radio?

Never.

SF come in for a kicking every time they’re mentioned on RTÉ. It’s company policy

How often do you see or hear anyone from SF on RTÉ? Or any station or radio?

Never.

Paisley and his wife get the warm fuzzy treatment on the Late Late, while Gerry Adams gets ambushed on the Late late by a panel whose hate is dripping off them.

Paisley's daughter gets her own show even.

Yeh...RTE, pro the Shinners alright!! :):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Christ they even had that moron Jamie Bryson on few weeks ago

There might by varying beliefs in the lower ranks but Tubbs and co. are hardcore FF/FG. Tubbs had a FF'er on every other week at one time just to chat. Poor Enda had to wait a long time for a look in. Never seen a cuddly Adams, Mary Lou chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,028 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I can see Ryan Tubbs up to his family tree in Fianna Fail or Lottie Ryan with a 'Holy Armalite Batman, It's the 'RA!' t-shirt :):)

When did Ryan Turbidy ever do current affairs? Lightwieght rubbish from him always.

As to your response to the OP, like so many others, it is light on specific rebuttal of the cogent points made in the article and heavy on the rhetoric.

When did Ryan Turbidy ever do current affairs? Lightwieght rubbish from him always.

As to your response to the OP, like so many others, it is light on specific rebuttal of the cogent points made in the article and heavy on the rhetoric.

Read the twitter responses from northern Irish journalists among others for the rebuttal.

I think in this case Mick's 'fealty' was to click bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,028 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Read the twitter responses from northern Irish journalists among other for the rebuttal.

I think in this case Mick's 'fealty' was to click bait.

The day I take Twitter as a rebuttal of anything will be a sad day.

So they are a mouth piece for government and support Sinn Fein too? Sounds like the media are doing okay.

FYI: you spelled 'Media' incorrectly.

I was being heavily ironic.

• Advertisement

You don't think Tubbs having Mammy O'Rourke on for a chat or wee Willie O'Dea, plus support, helped them politically?

It's an opinion piece.
    This isn't about the ethics or values of Sinn Fein, it's about journalistic integrity.
    I can see during peace talks a media outlet might not want to upset the apple cart, but that would go both ways or in itself be pointless.
    If sides are brokering peace it's likely not in the public interest for any outlet to lambaste one side over the other either.
    This would not be favouratism towards Sinn Fein. It would most likely be responsible reporting during a short period where delicate talks for peace are taking place. It's certainly not relevant now many years after the GFA and the IRA standing down.
    In short, it's possible stories regarding all parties involved in talks were played down for the public interest. Singling out Sinn Fein and trying to sell that it's happening currently is biased farce.
    We've seen numerous bad press stories for SF over the years.

Advertisement