Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why aren't you a vegan!?

• 20-11-2019 7:19pm

Cards on the table, I'm not a vegan.

That said, it's very hard to argue against the common vegan. After all, almost nobody argues that there is some positive benefit toward the infliction of suffering on animals.

Nobody would argue in favour of collecting dogs in the back of a truck, and sending them off for slaughter in some local abatoir. But that's precisely what happens with the other sentient animals.

The process is often brutal, but even if it were pain-free, the argument goes that animals shouldn't be killed in the same way we wouldn't recommend it for horses or dogs.

I can't really think of a valid argument against veganism. You'd think, then, that I would convert to veganism, but I haven't - and won't. It's a purely selfish endeavour, then, because I'm being hypocritical about how I would react if I saw dogs treated in the same way as farmed animals.

True, there are evolutionary reasons for eating meat. I think the argument now is that there are sufficient plant alternatives.

So, why aren't you a vegan?

Perhaps you have a valid position I, or others here, haven't thought of.

But thus far, I can't frame a case against it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Don’t want to be. Like the taste of meat. Ok with farming/slaughter practices.

That’s why.

endacl wrote: »
    Don’t want to be. Like the taste of meat. Ok with farming/slaughter practices.

That’s why.

Would you be comfortable if dogs or horses or cats were farmed in accordance with the same methods, then, to add more diversity to our menus?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Life’s too short and can’t be arsed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Vegan most of the time. Odd time vegetarian and less so fish dishes due to where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭victor8600

Would you be comfortable if dogs or horses or cats were farmed in accordance with the same methods, then, to add more diversity to our menus?

Too expensive to farm those species for meat. Especially cats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Love my steak and other meats.
    If I was born to eat green stuff I’d have four legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Wouldnt eat primary meat eater. Cats and dogs wouldnt be for me, horse would be fine though.

Love my steak and other meats.
    If I was born to eat green stuff I’d have four legs.

You are born to eat green stuff, just not exclusively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

Farm animals are often treated better than many humans. Given the choice of coming back as a dairy cow or someone in the third world, I’d prefer to come back as the cow.

Odelay wrote: »
    Farm animals are often treated better than many humans. Given the choice of coming back as a dairy cow or someone in the third world, I’d prefer to come back as the cow.

That's pretty bleak. Our cattle are looked after but they are stuck in the shed for a few months a year.

Farm animals aren't looked after better than humans, bor should they tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I love cheese and chocolate too much

I love meat too much. I'm selfish and I don't feel good about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I like milk in my tea, i like cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Meat is tasty. Omnomnomnom.

Meat is tasty. Omnomnomnom.

I think we can almost all agree to that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

victor8600 wrote: »
    Too expensive to farm those species for meat. Especially cats.

Plenty old nags being abandoned by our cultural friends, pity not to make use of them.
    Horse is damn tasty meat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Can't be bothered learning how to cook tasty vegan food.

I like making cake. Would happily add meat free meals to my daily diet, but, well...see above.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I honestly don't think it has much to do with meat/animals/climate change etc.. It is the cult du jour now.

And to be honest, being vegan must be hard work, looking at labels for the merest hint of anything non vegan and so on.

Each to their own, but do NOT preach to me. Thank you kindly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I would easily go a day or two without any meat in my diet. Not as a conscious choice, but because my breakfast would usually be meat-free, and lunch is just some fruit, so if dinner was meat free, which it would be around 3 days a week, those would end up being vegetarian days.

A vegan diet goes way further though, and I am nowhere near that, on any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Pmacv1

I am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I was vegetarian for seven years. Minimised dairy consumption during that time, with butter being the major weakness.

My wife got extreme morning sickness while pregnant. We decided meat was the best way of getting the nutrition she needed in as dense a form as possible. I started eating meat as well so she felt less bad about it.

I kept eating it and feed it to our son. Iron deficiency in babies is huge in Ireland. Meats like duck and beef are very high in iron and he likes them. It's also a lot of work looking after a baby and vegetarian food doesn't offer good convenient options. (You can cook really big batches and reheat portions well, but that isn't something we've had capacity for either.)

My priorities changed since having a kid too in a way that made me care less about eating meat or not.

I honestly don't think it has much to do with meat/animals/climate change etc.. It is the cult du jour now.

And to be honest, being vegan must be hard work, looking at labels for the merest hint of anything non vegan and so on.

Each to their own, but do NOT preach to me. Thank you kindly.

Do you think they've won the "moral case" though?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Like the choice of not eating meat as much as I enjoy the taste of it. Veganism doesn't appeal to me at all, so much lovely food you can't eat.

Knock your socks off. I mean it. I don't have any prejudices based on the meat source except when it comes to humans. I don't particularly like a variety of meats such as cat, or dog. Tried them both. Cat in France and Dog in China. Horse can be very tasty indeed. Quite enjoy snake. We could start farms in Ireland like they do in Thailand. Yum Yum.

I eat a majority of vegetables most of the time, but I do love eating meat too. No interest in stopping for any misplaced sense of guilt. It's like the people who will eat sheep but refuse to eat the lamb meat. I guess they're too cute to eat?

Humans are predators. TBH I'd love to try Panda steak, but the Chinese would likely execute me if I tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

No one should have to justify why they eat a certain way. There's nothing wrong with eating meat if that's what you want to do. Meat eaters don't owe anyone an explanation. I am a vegan because it suits me, it's not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

I eat meat for the health benefits, it contains all of the essential amino acids that your body needs to function effectively. As part of a balanced diet it can ensure you are getting all your body needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Do you think they've won the "moral case" though?

No I don't, because it is just another religion now and we know how they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Because I have canines, not cow teeth.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

the polarising nature of the whole vegan v everybody is tiresome

I eat the food I like , my diet is quite meat heavy. I'd eat meat 2 out of 3 meals and it's pretty much 99% of meals if milk/eggs thrown in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

if im going to make animals suffer by eating meat, then Im going to make plants suffer by eating some of them as well

Advertisement