Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Preparation for Automated Gates

• 27-05-2019 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

I'm getting gates fitted soon, and I hope to get them automated next year. I'd like to put in an underground box in preparation for this for the electric motors to save having to dig up my driveway again.

My question is, is there a generic box that will fit any type of motor, regardless of the supplier/manufacturer? I'd like to price around next year and see what's available, and not rush into something now which will tie my hands.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Technique wrote: »
    I'm getting gates fitted soon, and I hope to get them automated next year. I'd like to put in an underground box in preparation for this for the electric motors to save having to dig up my driveway again.

My question is, is there a generic box that will fit any type of motor, regardless of the supplier/manufacturer? I'd like to price around next year and see what's available, and not rush into something now which will tie my hands.

Thanks.

No sorry there is no generic foundation box for underground motors.

With automatic gates now there is very serious safety standards that simply have to be complied with, therefore i would strongly recommend that you contact some local installers and get a few written quotes from them.
    Any reputable installer will advise the correct make and model of motors dependant on the design and weight of your gates and indeed should not have an issue in supplying you with foundation boxes now, which they should advise your builder on the correct way of fitting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Technique

Thanks for your reply, very helpful.

Any advice on specific brands to go for, or indeed any to avoid?

Thanks for your reply, very helpful.

Any advice on specific brands to go for, or indeed any to avoid?

Again the design and weight of your gate will have a huge bearing on manufacturers but here are a few excellent manufacturers:

Faac, Came, Casit .

Ensure that whatever you go for that they come from an Italian manufacturer, traditionally these are one things that they have excelled at manufacturing.
    I have heard of some Chinese stuff, personally I would not go near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭tech

does anyone know where I can get CAME PhotoCell colums / Post to hold Photocells for inside my gates??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

tech wrote: »
    does anyone know where I can get CAME PhotoCell colums / Post to hold Photocells for inside my gates??

CAME have an office in Dublin give them a ring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I came across this while posting on this forum. I have an electric gate, sliding, above ground motor. It has worked perfectly for 10+ years. A neighbour's gate has an underground box and it is out of order at least once a year. I'd avoid underground like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Technique

What's the verdict on a kit like this? Would you recommend 230v or 24v?

http://www.electricgates-uk.co.uk/onlineshop/prod_406883-CAME-FROG-230V-SKIT.html
    I came across this while posting on this forum. I have an electric gate, sliding, above ground motor. It has worked perfectly for 10+ years. A neighbour's gate has an underground box and it is out of order at least once a year. I'd avoid underground like the plague.

The kit above is designed to work in damp conditions. I think the underground kits are tidier looking.

Has anyone fitted a battery backup to your gates, for when the power goes?

What's the verdict on a kit like this? Would you recommend 230v or 24v?

http://www.electricgates-uk.co.uk/onlineshop/prod_406883-CAME-FROG-230V-SKIT.html

The kit above is designed to work in damp conditions. I think the underground kits are tidier looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

Has anyone fitted a battery backup to your gates, for when the power goes?

It’s not really necessary as there is a manual override for situations where the power goes. We have had two power cuts in two years that called for a manual opening. Not worth the extra expense of a UPS backup for me?

True but would be nice, to be able to get in or out on a wet stormy night!
    Homer wrote: »
    It’s not really necessary as there is a manual override for situations where the power goes. We have had two power cuts in two years that called for a manual opening. Not worth the extra expense of a UPS backup for me?

• Advertisement

True but would be nice, to be able to get in or out on a wet stormy night!

We made a decision some time ago to change over to 24 volt motors on all new gate installations so our customers have battery back up from day 1.

Manual release is still present, in my own long experience manual release is a pain especially when it seize's up, is low to the ground and has not been operated in ages.

HI Kub

thanks, how ill I tell if there are 24v or 12V? is it a big job to add in the battery ? I have a PC ups could this be used?

HI Kub

thanks, how ill I tell if there are 24v or 12V? is it a big job to add in the battery ? I have a PC ups could this be used?

220 volt or 24 volt, I have yet to come across a 12 volt Gate system.

What is the make and model of the equipment you have ?

Came frog.
    kub wrote: »
    220 volt or 24 volt, I have yet to come across a 12 volt Gate system.

What is the make and model of the equipment you have ?

Came frog.

Good make, they are available as 230 volt and 24 volt.
    Are you lucky enough to have the latter ?

here is a pic of the CAME control box
    [IMG]https://i.ibb.co/xq3jbFY/Came.jpg" alt="Came[/IMG]

i reckon im on 230v?

i reckon im on 230v?

Yes it is indeed, your only option really for back up on that is a UPS, a decent one at that.

Also, every 3 months test and oil your manual overides, beleve me, that night in the piddling rain when you are down on your hands and knees, you will be glad.

Thanks was thinking same, where can i connect UPS just outside fuse board ,before the run of cable out to gates.
    kub wrote: »
    Yes it is indeed, your only option really for back up on that is a UPS, a decent one at that.

Also, every 3 months test and oil your manual overides, beleve me, that night in the piddling rain when you are down on your hands and knees, you will be glad.

Would a 1000 or 1500 ups cover this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement