Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-01-2019, 09:58   #466
Chivito550

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada_bing View Post
Here's an interesting thing to consider, if Djokovic had never found his top form back in 2011 and just fizzled out, we probably would have seen Federer and Nadal win a lot more majors and dominate every other tournament. It would be reasonable for people to get tired of this unchallenged dominance from Federer/Nadal ( but then again I don't know why nobody complained about Fed's dominance with 17 slams before 2011 ) and people would have lost interest in tennis. But as it happens , Djokovic came along and changed the whole dynamic in men's tennis and made it more exciting and compelling to follow. So in a way people should thank Djokovic for that.
I don’t think having a dominant player is bad for the game. Having players in their 30s dominating is what is bad for the game. It highlights how poor the new crop are. This is the first era we’ve had where 30 year olds have dominated. Right now, there is no grand slam male champion younger than 30 years of age (Cilic and Delpo recently turned 30). That highlights the shocking state of men’s tennis right now.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-01-2019, 18:30   #467
The Golden Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvanderlay View Post
Okay, this is going to be a bit all over the place. I'm a bit woozy after the gym!

I don't think there can ever be a fair comparison between the three really. They peaked at different times.

Nadal is the greatest clay court player ever, that's a given, but he is not the greatest of all time. He's only got 6 non-clay grand slams: Feds has got 19, Djoko 14. Plus Federer is 5/6 years older than Nadal/Djokovic: of a different generation really. It's a testament to his skill and competitiveness that he is still going and winning grand slams as recently as last year. Federer at his peak had to face down the new generation of Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Wawrinka, even guys like Berdych/Soderling/Cilic/Del Potro could be great on their day, yet he kept coming back against them. Now a lot of these guys have fallen away, and Djokovic reigns supreme. I think it is a bad sign for tennis that there are no new guys coming through that are able to knock the old guys off their perch, and claim a grand slam. Djokovic will probably break Fed's grand slam record, but only because there is very little competition to stop him. Federer at 31 (in 2012) had 17 grand slams, and was runner up/semi-finalist is many others. After that he still stayed competitive against Nadal/Djokovic/Murray at their peak. Feds will always be the greatest to me because of this; he dug deep to compete against the greatest generation of tennis players.

There should always be a changing of the guard, to keep the sport interesting. When it looked like Feds was unstoppable, Nadal came along. When it looked like Nadal was unstoppable Djokovic came along...who has come along since then? Djokovic hit top form in 2011, nearly 8 years ago, and has a kept a phenomenal standard ever since. With the standard so high, you would expect the next generation to be even better, but I don't see a next generation. They are probably too busy on social media I am starting to lose interest in tennis a little bit, and the fact that Nadal was crushed by Djokovic in the AO makes me worry that his dominance will continue for a long time without any serious challenge. I don't even think Djokovic is playing at his best, it's just that his opponents are not that good anymore, and he does enough to beat them.
Surely the greatest player of the greatest generation is the greatest?
Thanks from:
31-01-2019, 23:53   #468
artvanderlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Golden Miller View Post
Surely the greatest player of the greatest generation is the greatest?

No.
01-02-2019, 00:40   #469
The Golden Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvanderlay View Post
No.
Well your own reasoning makes even less sense
01-02-2019, 01:04   #470
artvanderlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Golden Miller View Post
Well your own reasoning makes even less sense