Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Farm insurance

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

My dad is 81 but full ncb etc, and only does like 2k local miles a Yr max, 2010 car worth about 5k, his FBD renewal quote was 1150e there 2wks ago ffs. Best they could drop it to was 1050. I went into the local broker and they gave me a price of 770e so I've obviously moved. Still absolutely nuts money for his level of risk. When I called the girl in the fbd office to cancel she said fbd have gone nuts with motor quotes this year, and everyone leaving them. I had to insurance both tractors the same time also, which are insuranced separate to the farm policy, my other broker told me straight up Zurich etc aren't competitive with fbd for individual tractor policies, but suggested I only pay for the tractors up until the farm policy ends, that way I can have the flexibility of going with an all inclusive farm policy which was a reasonable point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭visatorro

Timmaay wrote: »
    My dad is 81 but full ncb etc, and only does like 2k local miles a Yr max, 2010 car worth about 5k, his FBD renewal quote was 1150e there 2wks ago ffs. Best they could drop it to was 1050. I went into the local broker and they gave me a price of 770e so I've obviously moved. Still absolutely nuts money for his level of risk. When I called the girl in the fbd office to cancel she said fbd have gone nuts with motor quotes this year, and everyone leaving them. I had to insurance both tractors the same time also, which are insuranced separate to the farm policy, my other broker told me straight up Zurich etc aren't competitive with fbd for individual tractor policies, but suggested I only pay for the tractors up until the farm policy ends, that way I can have the flexibility of going with an all inclusive farm policy which was a reasonable point.

Some joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I'm gonna try to bring all insurances in line and bargain once a year. Jeep, car, 2 tractors skidsteer, house, trailer and the farm. I'm gonna get ruthless as they were only increasing every year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I'm gonna try to bring all insurances in line and bargain once a year. Jeep, car, 2 tractors skidsteer, house, trailer and the farm. I'm gonna get ruthless as they were only increasing every year

The danger of that might be if you had a claim on the car for instance, you might loose your no claims bonus on everything, if they are all grouped as one. Something to look into anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

orm0nd wrote: »
    eventually persuaded my neighbour to shop around for insurance. long time fbd customer who thought getting his 100€ off renewal was best he could do

Axa €800 cheaper and I've gone through the schedule thoroughly

Like for like with actually better cover from axa in some areas,

Just off the phone from Axa and they're coming in €700 cheaper than Zurich. Still have to wait for them to come out and check and add a few bits onto the quote but I was surprised at the difference for the same policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Just off the phone from Axa and they're coming in €700 cheaper than Zurich. Still have to wait for them to come out and check and add a few bits onto the quote but I was surprised at the difference for the same policy.

I wouldn't be there must have been a decent margin in farm insurance when you see how many companies have entered the market over the last 5 years.

Slava Ukrainii

Renewed farm insurance
    Stock 80K
    two tractors 20K comp, 10K TPFT
    House 260K
    Contents 80K
    Buildings and Bins 110K
    2nd house on farm 100K
    Contents 20K
    Farm wages non family 3K

Total 1500 euro with Zurich with a bit of bargaining. Two years ago I was quoted nearly 2,300 euro by Aviva for the same cover. I left FBD about 8-10 years ago when they were quoting something around present price for less cover.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Renewed farm insurance
    Stock 80K
    House 260K
    Contents 80K
    Buildings and Bins 110K
    2nd house on farm 100K
    Contents 20K
    Farm wages non family 3K

Total 1500 euro with Zurich with a bit of bargaining. Two years ago I was quoted nearly 2,300 euro by Aviva for the same cover. I left FBD about 8-10 years ago when they were quoting something around present price for less cover.
    Do you find after leaving FBD it’s hard to get w quote now?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Does anyone know with commercial Jeep insurance are FBD the only ones who provide social domestic and pleasure cover as part of the policy ?

josephsoap wrote: »
    Does anyone know with commercial Jeep insurance are FBD the only ones who provide social domestic and pleasure cover as part of the policy ?

Any commercial cover I got covered social domestic and pleasure. The issue is with the tax if you are spinning down to holiday home with a fee bikes on the back, a canoe and surf board on top and a boat in the trailer behind it hard to tell the Guard ''I going to buy s few calves''

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Any commercial cover I got covered social domestic and pleasure. The issue is with the tax if you are spinning down to holiday home with a fee bikes on the back, a canoe and surf board on top and a boat in the trailer behind it hard to tell the Guard ''I going to buy s few calves''

Yeah I tried a few online quotes for Landcruiser- most didn’t seem to include S D & P - Jeep would also be used for commuting to PAYE job

josephsoap wrote: »
    Yeah I tried a few online quotes for Landcruiser- most didn’t seem to include S D & P - Jeep would also be used for commuting to PAYE job

Try Zurich I had it with them for lady 4-5 years. If you are commuting any distance a LC will crucify you. Have you it bought do you need s jeep that big

Slava Ukrainii

Try Zurich I had it with them for lady 4-5 years. If you are commuting any distance a LC will crucify you. Have you it bought do you need s jeep that big

Thanks I must give them a try - I work just part time so fuel consumption is not an issue.

Yes have LC a few years now - don’t think I could go back to a car at this stage now

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Renewed farm insurance
    Stock 80K
    House 260K
    Contents 80K
    Buildings and Bins 110K
    2nd house on farm 100K
    Contents 20K
    Farm wages non family 3K

that seems good price.. what are the stock insured for... can you get theft on them

gerryirl wrote: »
    that seems good price.. what are the stock insured for... can you get theft on them

Yes just about everything that could be taught of Fire, lightening,flood, storm, straying, transit, shows, theft etc.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Yes just about everything that could be taught of Fire, lightening,flood, storm, straying, transit, shows, theft etc.

good to know about the theft. I thought FBD were the only ones at it.. I got FBD last year and they wouldnt insure my tools etc in the shed as I wasnt living there .I let it go but as the year went on Im not happy with it at all will be ringing around this year more so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Renewed farm insurance
    Stock 80K
    House 260K
    Contents 80K
    Buildings and Bins 110K
    2nd house on farm 100K
    Contents 20K
    Farm wages non family 3K

I presume you have the 2 most important cover which any farmer should have and discuss in detail before accepting a policy

Public & Employee Liability,

Do you find after leaving FBD it’s hard to get w quote now?

Only saw this now. For first few years after I left them and went to Aviva I priced them as they rang me looking for to give me a quote. Generally they were 10-20%more expensive. Fir the last 2-3 I have not bothered with them. This year I got a quote off AXA who were cheaper than my initial Zurich quote. But Zurich beat it. I got a quote for Aviva but they were more expensive.

Last year I looked at the total insurance bill in our house
    Farm ins 1500
    My Jeep 600
    Herself car 550
    Daughter car 1k
    Son car 1.6k
    Health ins for all 3.3k
    Life ins 450

That 8.5k that goes out of the house on insurance every year. You have to price it all every year it's a pain but if you do not that bill would be above 10k and maybe 2k above it

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement