Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we be wary of celebrating the moon landings given it was white and male?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

tigerboon wrote: »
    Margaret Hamilton led a huge team in developing the trajectory programme. Probably one of the most important people on the project.
    A the time Nasa probably thought they needed men due to the stresses involved in take off etc. Also, there was a very real chance they wouldn't be coming back.
    Tis funny how Expendable men have been through history .

Expendable Privilege :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

We live in the same world now as we did then and the world is more or less the same as it was then with one major difference. This post is probably even an example of it :), The internet has held a microphone up to everybodys mouth, resulting in the loony's voices now being heard, they were always there it's just that nobody paid any attention to them. People were able to decipher news from dross, but not any more, now they are all being presented the same with the result that peoples attention is being held by the white noise of nonsense.

Not only that, but the internet has given everyone with the most batshit crazy ideas the impression that they are not alone in their thoughts. Disparate groups that held weird ideas can now talk to each other via the web, when before they didn't even know each other existed. It's also a wonderful recruiting tool too.

I remember seeing David Icke on 'Wogan' years ago and thinking that the snooker commentator guy had lost his marbles. It was only with the advent of the web that I encountered him again and found that the was still going. Not only that, he now has 100,000's of followers (if not millions, I hope it's not millions) and they can all congregate on the net.

But, it's not like these nuts didn't exist in the 60's or 70's either. Remember, Kaysing wrote his book on the moon landing hoax in the early 70's and it was a bestseller. The 'Flat Earth Society' has been going in its present form for decades! And anti vaxxers have been around as long as vaccines have.

If there's one thing that prevalent in the rise of numbers of these fucking ejits, it's the internet.

In saying all of that, I wouldn't change the web as a platform for the exchange of free ideas and information one iota. Because it is still a great resource, and I would hate to see that become controlled, because of a minority (a really tiny one at that) uses it to further their various mad ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

In all sincerity, our history is white. What do they expect? I will never apologise for our glorious white forbearers who created the world we live in today.

No one ever says we shouldn’t thank the Chinese for their inventions. Or the arabs for theirs and so on. But god forbid we celebrate anything white.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

N6n89hWm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

It's almost like we want Trump to win again, stupid articles like this are designed only to divide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

I feel as if the prism of Identity Politics is used as a frame for everything in the US since Trump got elected. Democrats are too willing to indulge these people too.

I love White Men and I am not Homosexual or a Woman .

A generation of panzies that couldn't wire a plug or cook a meal or go 5 minutes without their phone or understand how to cope with rejection would make you dispair alright.
    seamus wrote: »
    Nonsense tbh. Rose tinted glasses.

I bet your father believed your generation were pansies with no life skills.

I bet the parents of those who died in Normandy all believed their kids were being brought up soft and with no life skills.

Every generation thinks the next one is ridiculous, aimless and ruining society. Then they become the 50+ generation, realise they've been left behind and that they're the ones lacking critical modern life skills, not the other way around.

Aye, there's a lot to this that's correct.

Every generation thinks that the current one are a bunch of cretins, unable to do what they had to do. It's nearly always universally wrong as well.

Thing is though, the millennial generation and beyond have been brought up with the ability to find out anything they wish through the resource of the web. So, technically, they should be able to handle themselves very well indeed, with regards to changing a lightbulb or laying a floor or cooking a meal and whatnot. These were skills that Gen X and before had to learn from somebody, who would have to give them their time and knowledge. Today, one can look up anything they wish to learn in a matter of minutes and study it to a greater degree than ever before. The ability to find the answer to any question now is so easy, it's almost silly.

It's funny though. My folks were two generations above when they had me in their mid 40's and they hadn't a clue how to deal with me, so they just took a hands off approach for the most part. I sure my dad thought the world was falling apart when I grew my hair down to my arse and he heard the soothing strains of Napalm Death emanating from my room. But, I never got too much hassle about it. While my mates we getting the same music taken off of them, thrown in the bin and being accused of being on drugs by their parents who had them in their 20's/30's.

If there's a problem, however, with the "internet generations", it's their proclivity to think that they know it all, after reading a wiki page, and they can possess the most arrogant stances on everything. Every generation thinks that it's correct and the last one fucked things up, but there is a truly lamentable degree to which this happens nowadays. I see it in work all the time too. You get these college grads in, full of themselves on the back of some "masters" they just paid for (or their parents) and they think they have the answer to everything, yet they struggle at every hurdle a project throws up at them because they have zero practical knowledge and experience and for some of them it can be a real ordeal indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

:confused: I don't know why we should be wary of celebrating putting human beings on the Moon TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 13,212 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

robman60 wrote: »
    I feel as if the prism of Identity Politics is used as a frame for everything in the US since Trump got elected. Democrats are too willing to indulge these people too.

It's been building for the last decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I'm all for a black woman walking on the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,703 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    That was also going on of course.
    But compared to the rest of the world, which would not be so democratic to our standards today, they made amazing improvements.

If I had a choice of living in 1960s USA or 1960s USSR I know what I'd pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If I had a choice of living in 1960s USA or 1960s USSR I know what I'd pick.
    and if we take it that the USA still hold the balance of power militarily in the world today, what country would we prefer? China? Russia?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

This crap is getting more and more common and while I understand people getting frustrated at it being called out all the time, it has to be, as if it is not, it will just increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,447 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

To be fair, all that needs to happen is for Buzz Aldrin to self-identify as female, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

seamus wrote: »
    Nonsense tbh. Rose tinted glasses.

I bet your father believed your generation were pansies with no life skills.

I bet the parents of those who died in Normandy all believed their kids were being brought up soft and with no life skills.

Every generation thinks the next one is ridiculous, aimless and ruining society. Then they become the 50+ generation, realise they've been left behind and that they're the ones lacking critical modern life skills, not the other way around.
    This is as much of a sweeping generalisation as the post you replied to. Life skills allow you to function in society. Some of them are innate. Successive generations may whinge about some elements of the newest one but it doesn't mean they are wholly wrong. Some fundamental skills are absent in some recent generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What if we put all women on the moon. Would that solve the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Should we be wary of celebrating the moon landings given it was white and male?

Tbh - that reads that the moon is 'white and Male'. Now I always heard tell there was a man in the moon and at night the moon does have a definitive look of whiteness about it - so the problem is?

gozunda wrote: »
    Tbh - that reads that the moon is 'white and Male'. Now I always heard tell there was a man in the moon and at night the moon does have a definitive look of whiteness about it - so the problem is?
    Now . we’ll have to colour the moon black just to keep the peace .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Has anyone actually read the articles? The title of this thread is very far of the mark of what the articles talks about.

Washington times article just talks about how the culture was at the time, which it does seem to be white, male and horrible for family life.

The other article simply points out that at the time, all of the equipment was designed for men (which it was) and how the system at the time ended up resulting in a system where women couldn't enter the program. Some of the equipment is actually still in use today, which is actually still a hindrance on more women joining the space program, which is a valid point to make perhaps in the context of the article.

There's times when generation snowflake are an embarrassment to look at, but likewise there's plenty of times when generation 'I go straight to the comments section on the online forum before reading the article' look for issues that don't exist.

Neither article attacked how it was then, simply acknowledged that the environment at the time was how it was then, and instead of talking about rewriting history, or saying we shouldn't celebrate the past (neither article talk about celebrating or lack of celebration) suggest that looking to the future we learn from the past, and just gives us an opinion about the social status of the world at the time.
    As we look back at the Apollo mission and forward to Artemis, it is important to examine the gender biases of the early space program for lessons learned. If we want to land the first woman on the moon, let’s make sure she has tools designed with her in mind. Eliminating the legacy of gender bias is just one small step.
    With work all-encompassing, “it took a real toll on the family environment. A lot of families just didn’t survive,” Sieck says. “It was long hours. You finally got a Saturday off, you played golf or went fishing or had an afternoon poker party with fellow worker friends.” Sunday, it was often back to work. Divorce was rampant. Especially in Florida. Cape Canaveral became the capital of kaput unions. The court was overwhelmed. In Brevard County, 1,600 divorce cases were filed each year in the late 1960s, and 1,200 granted, Judge Volie Williams told a local publication.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The Soviet Union had this very controversial idea, that no matter what your background, identify or heritage, you can work towards the future of your society. Incendiary stuff.

It also helped, if you were female, to be willing to put out for the superiors. Women in the WW2 Red Army, for example, are well known, what is less well known were the conditions under which they had to operate. Look up “Polevaya Pokhodnaya Zhena”, it means “mobile field wife”. Even Zhukov had one.

Not that the US Army at the time was idyllic either, it was still racially segregated. Which I guess means we’re supposed to object to the US Army in WW2 or some such.

It also helped, if you were female, to be willing to put out for the superiors. Women in the WW2 Red Army, for example, are well known, what is less well known were the conditions under which they had to operate. Look up “Polevaya Pokhodnaya Zhena”, it means “mobile field wife”. Even Zhukov had one.

This implies that there was some kind of rapey scenario going on. There wasn't. Most relationships between the men and women of the Red Army happened organically, in the same way that they do under most other circumstances. A so called PPSh, generally, wasn't under any duress in a relationship with another Soviet soldier and it was entirely her own decision if she wanted to enter into it or not. "Mobile field wife" sounds rather dodgy, but it's not unlike most army slang terms in that respect.

That doesn't mean that rapes or other forms of sexual harassment didn't happen to some women in the Red Army from other Red Army personnel. But, documented cases are very hard to find and even harder to verify. And it's true that some women found themselves the subject of canteen whispers if they suddenly got a promotion, because they were sleeping with a ranking officer. But, scuttlebutt in an army is rife in any case and, to be frank, it would have been odd if such "behind the back" talk didn't happen.

However, the more nefarious members of the Red Army tended to keep rape as a "tool" for dealing with the women of their enemies instead and that's been rather well documented over the years.

White Men have done Great stuff .

Hopefully everyone else will soon catch up .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,447 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

blinding wrote: »
    Now . we’ll have to colour the moon black just to keep the peace .

There is a reason that the confederacy has a great fear of lunar eclipses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Danzy wrote: »
    The modern Left and progressive movements are also self obsessed and a bit lazy. Liking a cause but not difficult hours activism

Identity politics was a way of making oneself the focus of the struggle, rather than those scabbie proles in their terraced houses with their wrong views, **** em.

There are a lot of people in the Left who dislike the working-class, vehemently.

Or in the case of travellers, view them as helpless exotic pets who's cause it's trendy to support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

An amazing achievement.

This is the best commentary on the moon landing:

Whitey on the Moon
    Gil Scott-Heron

A rat done bit my sister Nell.
    (with Whitey on the moon)
    Her face and arms began to swell.
    (and Whitey's on the moon)
    I can't pay no doctor bill.
    (but Whitey's on the moon)
    Ten years from now I'll be payin' still.
    (while Whitey's on the moon)
    The man jus' upped my rent las' night.
    ('cause Whitey's on the moon)
    No hot water, no toilets, no lights.
    I wonder why he's uppin' me?
    ('cause Whitey's on the moon?)
    I was already payin' 'im fifty a week.
    Taxes takin' my whole damn check,
    Junkies makin' me a nervous wreck,
    The price of food is goin' up,
    An' as if all that s*** wasn't enough
    A rat done bit my sister Nell.
    Her face an' arm began to swell.
    Was all that money I made las' year
    (for Whitey on the moon?)
    How come there ain't no money here?
    (Hmm, Whitey's on the moon)
    Y'know I jus' 'bout had my fill
    (of Whitey on the moon)
    I think I'll sen' these doctor bills,
    Airmail special
    (to Whitey on the moon)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

An amazing achievement.

The space race was part of the cold war arms race.

Jim Hacker: "Math has become politicized: If it costs 5 billion pounds a year to maintain Britain's nuclear defences and 75 pounds a year to feed a starving African child, how many African children can be saved from starvation if the Ministry of Defence abandoned nuclear weapons?"

Sir Humphrey: "That's easy: none. They'd spend it all on conventional weapons."

- Yes Minister

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    No women on D-Day either, shocking lack of representation.

Aye, the sheer toxic masculinity of that day. #YesEquality

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

An amazing achievement.

Played to the music from the finger violin....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Do little girls deserve dreams?

AH says NO.

Advertisement