Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Weather Statistics

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »

Hope you enjoy it for what it is now because this is probably the most tedious thing I've ever done in my life so far.

Welcome to the world of collecting and inputting stats Syran!

Seriously though, great stats once again and your hard work is appreciated. Would you not consider setting up your own blog page to keep these statistics at hand? as even on a dedicated thread like this, they are likely to get shoved down the bottom of the pile as new postings come in? I did up a blog page to keep a track of the 'IMT' a couple of years back (I think it is still linking in my sig) which unfortunately I have had not the time or the energy to maintain recently, but something that I may get back into in the new year. I asked Met Eireann for their permission to use their data and they were very accommodating and quite encouraging also, so maybe something for you to consider perhaps?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Here is part three of my 2010 Irish weather synopsis and in this part, I am going to be going over the Summer of 2010. Summer 2010 is a very underrated Summer if you ask me with many people in Ireland considering it a poor Summer and continued the period of poor summers that began in 2007 and ended in 2012 (inclusive). However, unlike the UK (with the exception of Scotland which had only a poor July like Ireland) which had a poor July AND August, Ireland had only a poor July. June and August 2010 were absolutely beautiful months. I have lots of nostalgic memories from this Summer of 2010 and I can remember each day very well through the Summer. Apart from July and the very wet days in June, it felt like an endless run of sunshine through Summer 2010.

However, due to this being longer than intended and the lack of time I've had to complete this part of the analysis, I have decided to just give June 2010. I know that this has been a long time coming.

Let's start off with what was easily the best month of 2010 in Ireland - if you like warm and sunny weather that is, June. After a wet day on the 31st of May with rain clearing the east by the morning of the 1st, June started off fine with plenty of sunshine and temperatures rising fast in the sunshine reaching 20c in a good few places. Another day with plenty of sunshine on the 2nd with temperatures getting up to 21c. Sunshine was very abundant with 8-14 hours of sunshine around Ireland. Cloud pushed into the south and southwest on the 3rd, however, elsewhere it was again another fine warm and sunny day with temperatures up to 21c. The cloud pushed into the west overnight and the cloud was thick enough to bring the odd drizzle to places including Claremorris. However, the drizzle amounted to nothing much and the cloud cleared by the morning leaving the country in yet again, another fine day with plenty of sunshine and temperatures up to 22c on the 4th. By this time of the month, some places had already reached at least 50 hours of sunshine so you can see how sunny June started off. This fine period was about to finish however as it became much more unsettled for a temporary spell. The 5th started off fine with more sunshine but cloudier in all places than previous days with the maximum sunshine of only 6 hours. Showers pushed into the west reaching most places overnight into the 6th. It was still warm with temperatures up to 22c again. These showers formed into longer spells of rain across Leinster during the 6th. Some of these very persistent and it was very dull in the showers. The Cumulonimbus clouds associated with the showers were unusually dark and black for June. Feeling very unpleasant for June. Across the west, it was dry, warm and sunny with temperatures up to 21c however. On the 7th, a band of heavy rain pushed into the southwest and pushed northwards through the day. This rain was again very persistent with falls up to 19mm at Valentia Observatory. Remember that Ireland wasn't very used to very wet days like the 7th June or the 29th March (see part two of my 2010 Irish weather synopsis) due to a frequent run of drier than normal months up to June since November 2009 although December 2009 (97% of the LTA) and March 2010 (94% of the LTA) were quite close to being wetter than average. It was cooler than recent days also but still above average for early June with 14-19c generally. This rain lingered across Ulster on the 8th whilst heavy showers pushed in across many other parts during the afternoon. Some places like Valentia Observatory escaped however. The 8th continued with similar temperatures to the 7th. It was sunny in the west and northwest whilst elsewhere, it was dull. Further rain over Ulster continued overnight into the morning of the 9th. This rain then finally pushed southwestwards through the day clearing all areas by the evening leaving sunny spells in the west along with isolated showers whilst it was dry and cloudy elsewhere. Temperatures about average with 13-17c. The 10th was a fine day with plenty of sunshine and temperatures rising back up to 21c in the sunshine after the cooler, wet days from the 6th-9th. Cloud lingered in some eastern regions until the late afternoon however. The 11th brought cloud in from the west on a northwesterly direction air stream which was quite mild for a northwesterly of up to 20c. The cloud brought sunshine totals down from the values of the 10th but in some places, particularly the east, it was pleasant enough of up to 7 hours of sunshine. The 12th was a dry and rather sunny day for the most part but some rain pushed into the north during the evening. This rain was quite weak and it was just another fine day elsewhere. Showers pushed into the west during the morning of the 13th becoming more intense as they reached the east coasts by the afternoon. Dublin Airport recorded 11.8mm of rainfall in these showers. Temperatures rather mild of 14-18c and plenty of sunshine in between the showers with the west more favoured for the sunshine. All the showers cleared on the 14th and then a stubborn area of high pressure built from Scandinavia. The 14th began a period of fine weather which would then last for much of June. June 2010 had already seen a very sunny and warm start with rainfall close to average (due to those very wet days). We really were given a wonderful gift from Mother Nature. From the 14th-17th, there was plenty of sunshine particularly on the 15th and 16th with cloud cover varying each day. In the sunshine it became very warm reaching 23c on the 15th. The 18th was a generally cloudier day but there was still some sunny spells in places and yet again, dry and warm. After this brief cloudier day, the 19th-21st was a very sunny period with all days reaching 16 hours of sunshine in at least one station. In the sunshine, temperatures reached 25c on the 21st. The 22nd was another very nice day in the east of the country with temperatures paying back a touch to 22c. However, cloud pushed into the west with some of it very thick bringing the odd spot of drizzle. This would push across much of the country on the 23rd with the odd sunny spell in parts. It was very muggy in this cloud though with temperatures of 17-21c on the 23rd. The 24th, with the exception of a cloudy east until the late afternoon, became much sunnier and similar temperatures to the 23rd. The 25th was a weird day as it was cloudy in the east all day and sunny in the west early in the day but a band of rain pushed into the west later. Yet, the east was still cloudy and temperatures going up to 18-23c. This rain would fizzle out to nothing on the 26th leaving Ireland in plenty of warm sunshine and temperatures again 18-23c. The 27th brought some showers into parts of the west but other than them, it was a very similar day to the 26th with temperatures of 18-23c and plenty of sunshine to enjoy. This long dry spell that began on the 14th ended on the 27th however as heavy rain spread into the southwest on the 28th which would affect all but northwest Connacht and north Ulster with rain during the day. Temperatures still above average of 17-21c even in the rain. The rain cleared on the 29th into Britain leaving Ireland in a temporary ridge of high pressure and temperatures going back up to 18-23c in warm sunshine. This was very temporary however as a band of very intense rain pushed into the west on the 30th ending June on a very wet note. The east enjoyed another fine day however with warm sunshine and temperatures again from 18-23c.

With the daily summary for June 2010 done, time to talk about the more interesting data, the actual statistics. Rainfall wise overall, June was fairly close to the average but it was a drier than normal June with around 81-85% of the LTA. There were some significant regional variations depending on how wet the 6th-9th, 13th, 28th and 30th were in places. Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal for instance had its driest June on record with a total of only 18.3mm of rainfall, 25% of the average. Meanwhile, John F Kennedy Park, Co. Wexford had its wettest June for 2 years with a total of 76.3mm of rainfall, 129% of the average. Maam Valley, Co. Galway was very unusually dry, even more so than it was in May 2010 with a total of only 38.4mm of rainfall, well below its average for June. Valentia Observatory had a rainfall total of 92.9mm of rainfall, 116% of the average. However, 46.6mm of this rainfall (50% of its whole June 2010 rainfall total) fell on one day, June 30th and was the station's wettest June day since 2003. Its wettest day in June 2003 also took place on the 30th coincidentally. Some places did not record any rainfall at all from the 14th-27th.

In spite of a negative NAO, June 2010 was a very warm month. The IMT for the month was 15.2c, +1.7c above the LTA. This was only -0.2c short of the typical July and August's IMT of 15.4c, to emphasise how warm it was. This equals with 1970 for the third warmest June on record of the IMTs I've calculated so far back to January 1968 with only June 1976 and June 2006 being warmer. The month didn't have any particularly remarkable temperatures but it was persistently and pleasantly warm throughout with not a lot of cooler than average days. 20c or more during June 2010 wasn't a rare occurrence. For example, Dublin Airport reached 20c or more on 20 days of June 2010. The maximum temperature for June 2010 was 26.4c at Derrygreenagh, Co. Offaly on the 21st, June 2006 and 2009 had higher maximums. For the first time since November 2009, ground frosts were not above average, they were around average for June. Due to the month being not particularly remarkable in terms of maximum temperatures but rather being persistently warm is why June 2010 is one of my more preferred Summer months, it's the ideal Summer month.

June 2010 once again continued the sunnier than average month streak of 2010. It was very sunny in many places, especially over to the northwest where they had their sunniest June since 1995 but for others, it was not as sunny as June 2009. Casement Aerodrome had the sunniest day with 16.0 hours on the 20th. University College of Galway had up to 150% of its average June sunshine.

Here's some pictures from June 2010 for y'all:

dbswghG.jpg

WKkIV54.png

33GxEB1.jpg

F9nAj0u.jpg

UH7Lhjf.jpg

Information originally from Met Éireann.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of collecting and inputting stats Syran!

Seriously though, great stats once again and your hard work is appreciated. Would you not consider setting up your own blog page to keep these statistics at hand? as even on a dedicated thread like this, they are likely to get shoved down the bottom of the pile as new postings come in? I did up a blog page to keep a track of the 'IMT' a couple of years back (I think it is still linking in my sig) which unfortunately I have had not the time or the energy to maintain recently, but something that I may get back into in the new year. I asked Met Eireann for their permission to use their data and they were very accommodating and quite encouraging also, so maybe something for you to consider perhaps?

I've actually started a wiki using wikia on the weather history of the British Isles. Don't want to share it until I think it's good enough to be so. It will take a long time. The aim of the wiki is to provide a useful source for amateur forecasters to learn more about how to predict the weather of the British Isles as well as act like a huge encyclopedia for weather historians such as myself. I'm hoping this works out better than my little forum site you previously joined which turned out as a disaster. It was getting confusing to me with its settings interface as well as not allowing me to do certain things I wanted to achieve. This wiki will also have the IMT dataset and all my calculations for it, as well as potential future datasets I may calculate and create. My three pages I'm working on right now are IMT, Winter long range forecasting and December 2010 historical page. I started off with December 2010 because it's such a fascinating month with lots of statistics to add.

So far, the wiki is doing ok but not fantastic. I will be giving it more time to see if it works out but in the future, I might be moving on to do something else like a blog as you say using wordpress. However, I've personally never been into blogging.

As for now, I'm working hard with school, my volcanoes project (which has a thread in the Geography forum), my analysis for 2010, Winter 1946/47 and calculating more IMTs pre-1968.

But thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I've actually started a wiki using wikia on the weather history of the British Isles. Don't want to share it until I think it's good enough to be so. It will take a long time. The aim of the wiki is to provide a useful source for amateur forecasters to learn more about how to predict the weather of the British Isles as well as act like a huge encyclopedia for weather historians such as myself. I'm hoping this works out better than my little forum site you previously joined which turned out as a disaster. It was getting confusing to me with its settings interface as well as not allowing me to do certain things I wanted to achieve. This wiki will also have the IMT dataset and all my calculations for it, as well as potential future datasets I may calculate and create. My three pages I'm working on right now are IMT, Winter long range forecasting and December 2010 historical page. I started off with December 2010 because it's such a fascinating month with lots of statistics to add.

So far, the wiki is doing ok but not fantastic. I will be giving it more time to see if it works out but in the future, I might be moving on to do something else like a blog as you say using wordpress. However, I've personally never been into blogging.

As for now, I'm working hard with school, my volcanoes project (which has a thread in the Geography forum), my analysis for 2010, Winter 1946/47 and calculating more IMTs pre-1968.

But thanks again.

Very interesting Syran, and good luck with the 'Wiki' thing. I will say that you don't have to be a 'blogger' to open a blog page. It was just a suggestion on my part for you to keep those stats you have worked so hard on in a nice, tidy and easily accessible space.

But whatever path you choose, I would advise you seek permission from Met Éireann if you intend using their stats in the 'public space', just to be on the safe side and for your own peace of mind.

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

But whatever path you choose, I would advise you seek permission from Met Éireann if you intend using their stats in the 'public space', just to be on the safe side and for your own peace of mind.
    Met Eireann is funded by the taxpayer. I presume the public are entitled to use the data for any non-commercial purpose, provided appropriate credit is given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Very interesting Syran, and good luck with the 'Wiki' thing. I will say that you don't have to be a 'blogger' to open a blog page. It was just a suggestion on my part for you to keep those stats you have worked so hard on in a nice, tidy and easily accessible space.

I think there is no restriction on using Met Éireann's data at all. It's only their published work (images, charts, tables, documents, webpage screenshots, etc., that are restricted. If you make your own Excel graph or table from their data, that is totally ok.

EDIT: Nope, Mick is right. The data can be freely used, as long as the source is acknowledged. However, you still don't need to seek their permission.

Terms and Conditions:
    Met Éireann retains Intellectual Property Rights and copyright over our data.
    If data are published in raw or processed format Met Éireann must be acknowledged as the source.
    Met Éireann does not accept any liability whatsoever for any error or omission in the data series, their availability, or for any loss or damage arising from their use.
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

This graph I generated is of the Winter NAO values since 1950/51 up to 2016/17. Interestingly and not really much of a surprise, the 1960s were a consecutive period for negative NAO Winters. It seems that negative NAO in Winters were a frequent occurrence during the 1950s to 1970s and since then has been much rarer with positive NAO being much more of a feature. However, along with that, we also had the most negative NAO on record in 2009/10.

Winter 2014/15 had the most positive NAO in the last 70 or so years for Winters which I find very interesting.

t05gU1b.png

This post is going to be about one of the Summers that people just don't want to remember, Summer 2011. It sometimes gets mentioned it seems but not much and when it does so, it's not a popular Summer. It is to no surprise why this is the case, it was the coldest Summer of the 21st century so far coming after the warmest Spring on record. This was the coldest Summer since 1993 with an IMT of only 13.3c which is -1.6c below the 1981-2010 average of 14.9c.

Each of the Summer months were colder than average (these 3 months and January were the only colder than average months for 2011) with August being particularly cold. These are the IMTs and anomalies for each of the months:

June: 12.1 (-1.6) - coldest June since 1991
    July: 14.2 (-1.2) - coldest July since 1988
    August: 13.7 (-1.7) - coldest August since 1993

The Summer was notable for a huge lack of warmth. The warmest day was June 3rd with a maximum of 26.0c at Cavan and Athy, very early in the season. Phoenix Park nearly bet this at 25.7c on September 28th, very late in the season and was the station's highest September maximum since 1906.

Many stations had their lowest annual maximums since the 1960s, this is how depressing the Summer was for warmth. For example, Cork Airport reached a maximum of only 21.5c during the entire Summer which was its lowest Summer maximum since 1962. Maximums of 14-16c were a frequent occurrence throughout the Summer in all months. Minimums were unusually below 10c during much of the time and a huge lack of warm or humid nights. Mullingar had an air minimum of 0.5c on June 10th, its lowest since June 1991 and one of its coldest Summer nights on record.

Despite the well below average temperatures, rainfall was below average for most parts. In fact, it was quite a strange Summer for rainfall. After an unsettled June in almost all parts, July became more settled with not that much heavy rain. August was rather close to average in terms of rainfall.

Whilst June was the most unsettled month of the entire Summer, it was also the sunniest month. It was quite a sunny June across the island with it being comparable to the preceding two Junes in terms of sunshine, 2009 and 2010. So that's one thing that made up for the very cool and unsettled nature! July and August were dull however and in some parts very dull. It was the dullest August for the east since 2008. At the time until Summer 2015 & 2016 came, it was the dullest Summer on record at Knock Airport with only 337 hours (Summer 2015 had only 291 hours and Summer 2016 had only 285 hours). There's been Summer months that have gone past the bench mark of 285 hours! Like these seasonal sunshine totals are ridiculous and miserable.

So why was Summer 2011 so cool? The Arctic had a huge blocking feature over it with a trough over the British Isles underneath it. This meant the NAO and AO were quite negative.

U2OqSON.png

Compare Summer 2011's (awful) reanalysis to April 2011's reanalysis:

AQBIFuo.png

Spot the difference? :)

Sources

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2011-Sum.pdf
    http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2011-jun.pdf
    https://www.irishcentral.com/news/coldest-irish-summer-in-50-years-its-official-127722763-237406031

Top 5 warmest Christmas Days on record at Phoenix Park:

(Year, Max Temperature)

1. 1920, 13.9c
    2. 1900, 13.5c
    3. 1974, 13.4c
    4. 1928 & 1955, 13.3c
    5. 1898, 12.3c

Top 5 coldest Christmas Days on Record at Phoenix Park:
    (Year, Max Temperature)

1. 1995, 1.2c
    2. 2010, 1.3c (estimated value only)
    3. 1950, 1962 & 1964, 1.5c
    4. 2004, 2.7c
    5. 1961, 3.5c

All data from The European Climate Assessment & Database (ECA&D)

Courtesy of Irish Weather Online

7-day running mean rainfall total for 2012 up to the first week or two of December, courtesy of Deep Easterly (I love this poster's graphs!) and Met Éireann.

QXQSWgR.png

• Advertisement

The wettest March day on record is March 6th 1992 when Cloone Lake, Co. Kerry recorded 122.0mm of rainfall.

The wettest overall day on record for Ireland is September 18th 1993 when the same place, Cloone Lake recorded 243.5mm of rainfall.

It's proving difficult and challenging to find the wettest days on record in Ireland for every month of the year.

Information originally sourced from Met Éireann.

Courtesy of Deep Easterly, ECMWF Reanalysis (ERA Interim) & Ogimet, this chart is of the IMT mean daily sea level pressure against the 1981-2010 averages for the period January 1st to July 10th 2012 (it's meant to say July 10th in the graph).

PUw453Q.png

Just in case you don't know why I repost statistics that posters like Deep Easterly have posted before on this thread, I post them so that they're all in one place here instead of hidden in long and multiple different threads.

IMT Summer 2012 daily mean temperatures up to June 30th in comparison with the same stage of 2011 and the 1981-2010 averages, courtesy of Deep Easterly, NOAA, Ogimet and Met Éireann.

G2zpeGW.png

Here's some more photos or charts to add onto the October 24th 2011 post I did, courtesy of posters in this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056430152&page=48

24thoct11_anim_1.gif

NH8QXAb.jpg

Courtesy of Deep Easterly and Met Éireann, this chart shows the Irish mean daily temperatures for January 1st to March 12th 2011 in comparison to the same period in 2009 and 2010.

mWcCQT6.jpg

This chart (courtesy of the same people named) shows the Irish mean rainfall percentages of average for January 1st to March 12th 2011 in comparison to the same period in 2009 and 2010.

5W8JXjH.jpg

As you know, Weak La Nina to Weak La Nina Winters (i.e. Weak La Nina Winters that were preceded by Weak La Nina Winters) were part of my Winter 2017/18 analogues and forecasts. This was the table I created showing the CETs for each Winter month during said Winters and the results were quite frankly surprising, but I also said in my forecast that there was still too many exceptions to consider a month by month summary going by ENSO. I found how December 1890 and January 1985 were in there as very interesting.

The CET anomalies are based on the 1981-2010 average and are originally sourced from the UKMO Hadley Centre.

9OeYtVC.png

Provisional IMT stands at 5.3c for December 2017. This comes to -0.3c below the average which would make it the first colder than average December since 2010.

Using this figure, the provisional IMT for 2017 stands at 10.2c which is +0.4c above the average and the warmest year since 2014 which had an IMT of 10.4c.

I will hopefully have some more figures on 2017 soon.

Since the naming of windstorms in the UK and Ireland began in 2015-16, the worst storm to hit our shores going by damage was of course Storm Desmond that struck us on December 4-6 2015.

Desmond was particularly notable for directing a plume of moist air up from the south to the British Isles, known as an atmospheric river, which brought record amounts of rainfall.

On 4 December, the UKMO issued a yellow warning for wind across the north of the UK with gusts expected to reach 70 mph (110 km/hr) in southwest Scotland. Yellow warnings had also been given for rain in Northern Ireland, the north of Wales and central Scotland. An amber warning for rain was issued in parts of central and southern Scotland where the UKMO forecasted up to 200mm of rain on high ground would fall over a 30-hour period from the 5th into the 6th. Met Éireann issued a red status rainfall warning for parts of Connacht as well as Donegal, Clare and Kerry with Clare County Council issuing a flood warning. Other parts of the west as well as Waterford, Wexford and Wicklow were under an amber warning for wind. Cavan, Cork and Limerick had an amber warning for rainfall. All the rest were under a yellow warning for rainfall. This was the first ever time Ireland received a red status warning for rainfall.

On 5 December, the UKMO issued a red status warning for rain in Cumbria with 150-200mm expected in some places. It was the first red warning in the UK since storm Tini - or known as Darwin for us here in Ireland, in February 2014.

The records and impacts of Storm Desmond on the British Isles were huge. The storm broke the UK's 24-hour rainfall record with 341.4mm of rainfall falling in Honister Pass, Cumbria on December 5th beating the previous record of 316.4mm at Seathwaite, Cumbria on November 19th 2009. I'd like to note that these two flood events, as well as the January 2005 Cumbria flood, all took place during El Nino events. The 48-hour rainfall record for the UK was also beaten with Thirlmere, Cumbria having 405mm falling up to 08:00 GMT on the 6 December. Heavy rainfall from Desmond caused severe disruption. Appleby, Keswick and Kendal in Cumbria suffered blocked roads, collapsed bridges (including one that was 250 years old) and some homes were evacuated. Many houses in Carlisle were flooded and tends of thousands of properties in Lancaster lost power when a sub-station was flooded. About 5,200 homes were flooded in Lancashire and Cumbria and approximately 1,000 people were evacuated from their homes in the town of Hawick in the Scottish Borders as a result of the River Teviot flooding. The River Nith burst its banks in Dumfries, flooding part of the town, with a major emergency being declared in Dumfries & Galloway. Landslides and flooding closed some main roads in Scotland. Down and Tyrone in Northern Ireland suffered road closures from fallen trees.

In the Republic of Ireland, the worst affected areas were Connacht and counties Donegal, Westmeath, Tipperary, Limerick, Clare, Cork and Kerry. Multiple, particularly local, roads were closed as a result of rivers breaching their banks and excess rainfall. In Connacht, the damage was worst in Athleague, Ballinasloe, Carrick-on-Shannon, Claregalway, Crossmolina, Foxford and Galway city. Millions of euro worth of damage was caused in Bandon, Fermoy, Kenmare and Tralee, while the Blackpool area of Cork city was severely affected by a higher level of water flow in the River Lee. Heavy rain has also resulted in severe flooding in communities along the River Shannon, namely Athlone, Portumna, Shannon Harbour, Montpelier, Castleconnell, Clonlara, Parteen, Annacotty and Limerick city. The river breached its banks in Athlone on 9 December. Other areas affected due to heavy rainfall included Bray, Clonmel and Ennis. In Glaslough, County Monaghan, the body of a 70-year-old man was found when his car was believed to have become trapped in a dipped part of a flooded road.

2-day (Dec 4th/5th 2015) rainfall totals for Irish stations, courtesy of Oneiric 3 and Met Éireann.

JvJvSiy.png

NCZuaPb.jpg

CLxYnCq.jpg

QguTlgG.jpg

sSM1AFP.jpg

KRl3Fg7.jpg

eVf0lsI.jpg

TxdAaDA.jpg

ZIIXzLs.jpg

UwuUbli.jpg

KpywTRM.png

xE73QQS.png

CFSR_1_2015120512_2.png

gjGx79D.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_Desmond
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057531858
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057530911

Can't forget the classic Teresa Mannion during Storm Desmond :pac::

https://www.independent.ie/videos/irish-news/archive-video-the-original-rtes-teresa-mannion-storm-desmond-weather-report-34264788.html

Billcarson wrote: »
    Can't remember the last time Ireland had a decent cold spell during the second half of a January though. Don't think I've seen much if any lying snow for example during that part of Jan since the 80s.

Never thought about it actually, January 2013 and 2015 are the closest I can think of but they were more damp squibs than anything.

Provisional IMT stands at 5.3c for December 2017. This comes to -0.3c below the average which would make it the first colder than average December since 2010.

Using this figure, the provisional IMT for 2017 stands at 10.2c which is +0.4c above the average and the warmest year since 2014 which had an IMT of 10.4c.

I will hopefully have some more figures on 2017 soon.

IMTs confirmed at 5.4c for December 2017 and 10.2c for 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Never thought about it actually, January 2013 and 2015 are the closest I can think of but they were more damp squibs than anything.

Perhaps another thing to for you to check out? Second halves of Jan do seem to be devoid of much in the way of proper cold for many a yr now. Remarkable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Januarys in general have underdelivered considering it's supposedly our coldest month. The only real notable cold spell I can recall in my lifetime was in 2009

Januarys in general have underdelivered considering it's supposedly our coldest month. The only real notable cold spell I can recall in my lifetime was in 2009

Think you mean Jan 2010. First half of that month was great but yet again 2 Nd half pretty unmemorable.

Think you mean Jan 2010. First half of that month was great but yet again 2 Nd half pretty unmemorable.

Early January 2009 was also very cold, but dry and not a lot of snow.

Perhaps another thing to for you to check out? Second halves of Jan do seem to be devoid of much in the way of proper cold for many a yr now. Remarkable really.

I'll look at it anyway and compare the lowest minimum temperatures of historical second halves of January, if I can.

Will post it here as always when finished.

Early January 2009 was also very cold, but dry and not a lot of snow.

Oh yes ,think the first few days were very cold. Especially so in England if i recall,think water fountains in London froze up or something,that sticks in my mind on the news at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

February is the coldest month, on average.

Yep, February is the coldest month on average in regards to the IMT:

1981-2010 Winter IMT averages

December: 5.6
    January: 5.5
    February: 5.3
    Winter: 5.5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Looking at the 81-10 averages the coastal stations are generally colder in Feb but anything even slightly inland is colder in January. And anyway I'd say February has underperformed just as much as January (2010 again the exception), especially in the past decade it's felt more like a Spring month most years.

December and March have produced almost all the notable snowfalls I can remember

• Advertisement

Minimum temperatures for the period January 16th-31st

2017: N/A
    2016: -4.5c at Durrow, Co. Laois on the 16th
    2015: -6.2c at Dunsany, Co. Meath on the 19th
    2014: -2.5c at Dungarvan, Co. Waterford on the 19th
    2013: -6.4c at Gurteen, Co. Tipperary on the 23rd
    2012: -4.0c at Castleconnell, Co. Limerick on the 28th

**Monthly minimums here are not exact degrees as in the old Met Éireann bulletins, they rounded temperatures to the closest/highest full figure - they changed this in 2012. They also do not give location names. Exceptions to this are Januaries where minimums for the month are recorded in the period 16th-31st, then they give the figure and location in the temperature section of their bulletin. So I apologise for those years with rounded up temperatures and no location**

2011: -8.6c at Waterford on the 31st
    2010: -5c on the 25th
    2009: -2c on the 21st/28th
    2008: -1c on the 30th
    2007: -4c on the 23rd/25th
    2006: -6.7c at Birr, Co. Offaly on the 30th
    2005: -4.6c at Glenties, Co. Donegal on the 23rd
    2004: -7.7c at Kilkenny on the 29th
    2003: -3c on the 23rd/30th/31st
    2002: -1c on the 18th/24th
    2001: -7.0c at Derrygreenagh, Co. Offaly on the 16th
    2000: -5.0c at Ardfert, Co. Kerry on the 15th
    1999: -3c on the 21st/22nd
    1998: -5.2c at Phoenix Park, Co. Dublin on the 20th
    1997: -6c on the 21st
    1996: -7.7c at Kilkenny on the 28th

Information is originally sourced from Met Éireann's monthly weather bulletins.

I'll update on more soon, so far 2011 is the coldest.

Advertisement