Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Catholic & Protestant Church interiors

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

tabbey wrote: »
    It is only RC churches in Ireland which fail to honour their war dead. This is because of the anti-British sentiment which haunted Ireland from 1918 onwards.

French and Belgians do not have that problem so rightly commemorate their dead in catholic churches.

A lot of people would feel uncomfortable with the outward displays of nationalism which some churches take part in-flags inside the church,plaques,regimental insignia,etc.I know that I would,although I can understand the history behind it.

I'm not aware of any churches which commemorate the dead of the post-independent Irish army or people who were involved in the war of independence?Which possibly suggests that there is more to it than anti-British sentiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The Church of Ireland is generally regarded as being on the lowish end of the spectrum, but with some spots that are higher (like St. Bartholemew's). But it's also generally regarded as a church that doesn't get steamed up about thisve. In some of the other churches in the Anglican communion, the low and high camps have at time been dismissive of, or hostile to, one another, or at any rate there has been tension and conflict along the low/high split. This happens very little, if at all, in the C of I. The C of I is therefore a ry broad church; it can comfortably accommodate both low and high Anglicans without experiencing stresses as a result of that.

Actually, there are at times 'a split' but usually unspoken. Those in the higher echelons would like you think that everything is hunky dory but I know numerous people who have left their parishes due to them becoming 'too Catholic'. They don't have a problem with Anglicans worshipping whichever way they want, but a lot object to having it imposed on them.
    Think a lot if that is because the ones being remembered are the sons of the estate owners. As a result they had the money and "importance" to put up a monument.
    Also loosing 2 or 3 very influential members of a congregation of 100 is a lot

Yes I agree to a great extent, though not all of those honoured were wealthy landowners.
    .....Lots of Anglican churches have kneelers, some with luxurious cushions. I suppose these are not integrated.

Oh, the number of times I've knelt on hard wooden kneelers, the pain of it! Haven't come across much in the way of luxurious cushions to date though occasionally I have come across very deep cushions only, no wooden frame at all.

This would be a good thread for the Christianity forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

There's a BBC series called Churches - How to Read Them which is pretty interesting. The fourth episode is about the Reformation and about 15 minutes in, he talks about how they destroyed stained glass windows, broke screens etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

There's a BBC series called Churches - How to Read Them which is pretty interesting. The fourth episode is about the Reformation and about 15 minutes in, he talks about how they destroyed stained glass windows, broke screens etc.

That was interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

It is only RC churches in Ireland which fail to honour their war dead. This is because of the anti-British sentiment which haunted Ireland from 1918 onwards.

French and Belgians do not have that problem so rightly commemorate their dead in catholic churches.
    Might have something to do with the fact that it was not Irelands war...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'd guess a lot of protestant communities were also hit much harder by WW1, casualties would have had a much greater effect on the smaller communities, and I'd also guess the enlistment rate would have been higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I'd guess a lot of protestant communities were also hit much harder by WW1, casualties would have had a much greater effect on the smaller communities, and I'd also guess the enlistment rate would have been higher?

I wonder why there seems to be a fixation on WW1. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Boer War was commemorated but there were other conflicts. WW2 for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

A lot of people would feel uncomfortable with the outward displays of nationalism which some churches take part in-flags inside the church,plaques,regimental insignia,etc.I know that I would,although I can understand the history behind it.
    I disagree with that. Religion – certainly the Anglican and RC sects - plays a big part and is integrated into the military establishment. The history of the parts fulfilled by military chaplains is well documented.
    In WW1 for e.g. there was Fr Willie Doyle who was killed in action, Fr. Browne (who survived and became a well-known photographer), and Fr. John Gwynn who died of wounds.
    Fr Frank Gleeson was another. His diary entry on the eve of the Battle of Aubers Ridge. “I ride on my horse. Give absolution to the battalion during rest in the road...The men all sing hymns, ‘Hail Glorious St Patrick’. I go further up — near the trenches, and bid goodbye to all. So sad.” Robert Graves the poet/writer (I Claudius, etc) and WW1 officer wrote “Jovial Father Gleeson of the Munsters, when all the officers were killed and wounded at the first battle of Ypres, had stripped off his black badges and, taking command of the survivors, held the line”.

There is a ceremony called ‘The Blessing of the Colours’ – e.g. the painting by Lavery of the RC Archbishop of Dublin with a kneeling officer holding the Tricolour. That ceremony still exists – belowis one from Collins Barracks, Cork.

On the difference between High/Low Church it is necessary to understand the significance of Arminianism and the roles played by James1, Charles 1 and bishop William Laud.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I vaguely remember an RTE(?) series on church architecture during the 1980's, can't think for the life of me what it was called. It had very haunting music played during the end credits.

One thing, what's with the Marian fixation in RC churches and RC monuments in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

One should not leave out the historical close relationship between the state/ascendency and the established church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You’re missing the big factor, which is that the C of I generally adheres to the Lutheran idea that praying for the dead is vain, whereas the RCs hold praying for the dead to be a holy and a wholesome thing. This profoundly affects how each church addresses the issue.

There’s a human need to deal with death, and while Anglicans (and Lutherans) don’t pray for the dead (what would be the point, they have been judged already?) they do remember the dead before God. A pretty fine distinction, you may think, but there you go. One of the ways they remember the dead is by erecting memorials in churches. Go into any English country church and you’ll find the walls festooned with plaques erected to the memory of (a) members of notable local families, and (b) former clerics or other people heavily involved with the parish. A few of these, particularly those from the notable local families, will have served the defence forces and may have died in service, and if so this will be mentioned, but mostly not.

Whereas Catholics pray for the dead, rather than erecting memorials to them - they arrange for masses, or mentions in masses, particularly at anniversary time. You’ll usually only find a memorial to a someone in a Catholic church if (a) he’s actually buried in the church, which is rare, or (b) he has paid for, e.g. a stained-glass window or an item of church furniture, in which case he may be mentioned as a benefactor on a nearby plaque. (Note that in this case he may not be dead, or may not have been dead when the plaque was erected.)

OK. With the Anglican tradition of memorial monuments to the dead, it wasn’t a big stretch when the community experienced communal grief, as in response to the Great War, to erect communal memorials to local people who had died in the war, or to members of a local regiment, or whatever. These memorials (if they listed names, which they didn’t always) would list everybody, whether or not a member of the parish, whether or not Anglican. This is natural and Christian, and it also reflects the tradition self-conception of the Anglican church as the national church, with a responsibility and role to the nation, including the non-Anglican part of it. Obviously this wasn’t quite as strong in Ireland as in England, with the Cof I having been destablished more than forty years before the Great War. But, still.

It’s unfair to say that Catholic churches don’t have war memorials because it was anti-British. They generally don’t have war memorials to the IRA, either, or to the Defence Forces of the state. Memorials to the dead are simply not part of the tradition of the Irish Catholic church, because (a) they didn’t need them - they could pray for the dead instead - and (b) they never - or, at least, not after the Reformation - filled the role that English churches did (and that the CofI did to some extent) of supporting and being connected with local landowning families.

Plus, yes, the Irish Catholic church, while it has often sought to influence the state, also maintains some distance from the state. It’s extremely rare, for instance, to see the national flag displayed in an Irish Catholic church, whereas it’s quite common to see that in Catholic churches in other countries. The Catholic church in Australia has special services and liturgies for secular, political holidays - Anzac Day, Australia Day, Remembrance Day - and the same is true in other countries, but I have never seen that in Ireland. And so forth. This may be a relic of the Irish Catholic church’s “outsider” status in British days; it may also reflect a wariness of becoming embroiled in political or party controversy; or it may reflect a distaste for anything which smacks of submission to or endorsement of the state. Whatever the reason, the phenomenon is undeniable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

You also have to consider the plaques in churches in France etc.
    Look at Amiens Cathedral, it is full of memorials to all nations who fought to preserve French liberty in the Great War, Ireland included, as well as Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United States. there are also memorials to individuals, for example, Asquith's son.

The main difference between RC churches in Ireland and elsewhere, is that in Ireland there are no memorials to the fallen, due to the fear that it was divisive, and might attract negative attention.
    A case of whatever you say, say nothing.

Surprised that the Confessional has not yet been mentioned.

Think this thread has lost its way...

bit like the Protestant Church :pac::P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Think this thread has lost its way...

bit like the Protestant Church :pac::P

How so? It may have lost numbers, but is still thriving - in this neck of the woods anyway.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    How so? It may have lost numbers, but is still thriving - in this neck of the woods anyway.

Is that not a contradiction in terms?

Anyway it was only a :pac: considering how off topic the thread has become.

Del.Monte wrote: »

It had a 'head' start down there - John Darby fell off his horse down there, landed on his head and took to preaching in a big way. I recall that Wicklow & North Wexford area had the highest protestant numbers as a % of population in the 1800s. Darby's notions have caused a lot of conflict since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Yes indeed. The Confessional. Did indeed forget about it. Very quaint aspect to churches. Are the days gone when there would be queues outside? It's been a while since I saw their interior, the last time waiting my turn inside I could hear every word being said and knowing both parties. Then wondering about that fact when it was my turn. As mentioned, it's been a while.
    But I do like the actual architecture of the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

One of the best things about digging with the wrong foot is the lack of the confession box; I would be a complete heathen by now if we had them.

They do make great movie props though - below is a scene from the 1970 movie "Underground" shot inside St.Aidans Cathedral in Enniscorthy.

Underground%2BRobert%2BGoulet%252C%2BCarl%2BDuering%252C%2BJoachim%2BHansen%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

Left to right: Robert Goulet, Carl Duering, Joachim Hansen.

Now that's what I call going off topic.! :D

Look at Amiens Cathedral, it is full of memorials to all nations who fought to preserve French liberty in the Great War, Ireland included, as well as Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United States. there are also memorials to individuals, for example, Asquith's son.

The main difference between RC churches in Ireland and elsewhere, is that in Ireland there are no memorials to the fallen, due to the fear that it was divisive, and might attract negative attention.
    Amiens Cathedral is unusual in that regard. It has all these memorials largely because it's adjacent to the site of the Battle of the Somme. Most of the memorials relate to the Somme, and most of them in fact commemorate British. or British Empire, forces. Note that they were erected by The Commonwealth War Graves Commission, not by the French authorities.
    Amiens Cathedral is effectively hosting the expression of a British memoralialising tradition. A number of other French Cathedrals adjacent to battle sites have similar monuments to British Empire forces, also erected by the CWGC.

There are substantial memorials to the French soldiers who died at the Somme, but they are not in Amiens Cathedral (or in any church). That has simply never been a French tradition.

There are some memorials to individual French officers in Amiens Cathedral - there's one to General Leclerc, for instance. (He was born in Amiens.) But I don't think there's much in the way of collective memorials to the French war dead.

• Advertisement

There is actually a plaque to Willie Redmond in St Patrick's church, Kilquade.

https://www.kilquadeparish.ie/parish-churches/st-patricks-kilquade/

dscf0570.jpg

It's a bit OT but one big difference between R Catholicism in Ireland & France is that in France on the ourskirts of every town there are notices that give the times of 'Messe' in their churches. Being a minority religion it also is quite snobbish, with strong leanings towards RC by the aristos. I'd also agree with Tabbey's assertion " ....in Ireland there are no memorials to the fallen, due to the fear that it was divisive, and might attract negative attention."

[QUOTE=pedroeibar1;105266407]Being a minority religion it also is quite snobbish, with strong leanings towards RC by the aristos. [/I][/QUOTE]

Why do I feel like I'm on an episode of QI and the Klaxon is about to go off?

How is RC a minority religion in France?

Why do I feel like I'm on an episode of QI and the Klaxon is about to go off?

How is RC a minority religion in France?

I know its a TV show but I don't watch much TV.;)

Christianity covers the beliefs of about 40% of the French population (see edit below) and I agree that Roman Catholicism is the biggest percentage of that. However, that has to be seen in perspective; the percentage of under 35yr olds who admit to being RC is considerably less. Of the total figure, less than 10% are practicing RCs, mainly ‘oldies’. In effect, at less than 10% it is just another ‘minority’ religion. Islam has about 5% of the population, but a much higher percentage are practicing. Numbers wise that is not a big difference.

For perspective one really must look at the role of religion in French society, which, outside of the upper classes, is non-existent. . For starters, France is ‘laic’ ("La France est une République indivisible, laïque, démocratique et sociale”) and there has been complete separation of religion and state since 1905. That is why there was no ‘juridique’ issue with banning the burqa/niqab. Secondly, overt practice of religion is disparaged. Most educated Irish people would know that Douglas Hyde was C of I, that Bertie was a regular mass-goer, that most Taoisigh were RC and that Dublin and Cork had Jewish Lords Mayor (Briscoe & Goldberg). In France the religion of politicians does not enter into the public domain and is actually ‘hidden’. Just look at their Google profiles. Religion is just not seen. For e.g. the religion and beliefs of Mitterand only became a major topic at the time of his death.(Note below)

That non-religious format is particularly so with the French Left, from which France has drawn many leaders. However, the upper echelons of the Army and Navy, and the remains of the French aristocracy are very openly RC or 'practicing'.. Those who can afford it do not send their children to free-ed secular state schools, instead preferring those fee-paying ones run by religious orders. Their children are strongly encouraged to move within the same circles socially. The socially aspiring nouveaux attend mass, send their kids to the right schools (granted a few non-religious Lycées have the same cachet) and they use religion as an entrée to rub shoulders. That level of society tends to be the one that has church weddings, the rest use the Mairie.

So, perhaps expressed more precisely, in France overt regular practice of Roman Catholicism is more in the domain of a tiny elite minority.

(Note) Mitterand nearly became a seminarian and it is said of him that he once declared he wanted to be either King of Pope. He re-joined the RC Church shortly before his death.

Note 2 Actually my figures are too conservative. Gallup page 3 here
    France
    37% a religious person
    34% a non-religious person
    29% a convinced athiest
    1% don’t know

Putting it back on topic, (sorry Mods) a bit of research has shown that the main reason for the war dead not being listed in churches would appear to be that the French state created its own system for those who ‘died for France’ . By a law of 25th October 1919 covering the ‘commemoration and glorification’ of those who died for France during the Great War, the State launched a ‘Livre d’Or’ in which the names would be listed and stored in the Pantheon.
    Makes sense not to have plaques in churches, although there are many on street corners/buildings/town monuments throughout France.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Unless I missed it in an early post, one difference between RC and P churches, are that in a P church, any Cross on the wall or freestanding will be bare. ie, no image of Jesus nailed to it.
    While the fact that he died for our sins is a central tenant of P belief, more is made of the fact that he is "a risen lord".

On the Plaques to War dead, any P church I have been in lists all from the Parish who died, place of death, Regiment and rank.
    I would put forward the argument about the greater number killed in the first world war compared to the second, the country was British at the time. By the time the second war rolled around, we were independant and people had learned the hard lesson of a generation being killed, and weren't in a hurry to repeat it. And of course, twenty young men killed out of a parishes equates to 20 less families, and perhaps 40 less young 16 to 18 year old men by 1939 .

Couple of points:

There's no question on religion in the French census (what with the State being laïque and all) but there is of course other social research on the subject, which shows that about 50% of the population claim a Catholic affiliation, about 4% other Christian, about 5% Muslim and about 1% Jewish. Religious practice is harder to measure, and partly depends on your definition of "practice", but certainly regular church attendance is well below these figures. But that's pretty typical for Europe.

As regards weddings, a church wedding isn't an alternative to the mairie; it's an addition; you have to get married in the mairie; you can have a subsequent religious (or non-religious) ceremony if you wish, but this has no legal significance. The number of Catholic church weddings is about 50% of the number of mairie weddings every year; when we discount those who can't have a church wedding (e.g. because they are remarrying after divorce, or because neither of the couple is a Christian) it seems that the substantial majority of those who can choose a church wedding, do. So this isn't really the preserve of the aristocratic remnant.

As regards schools, the state schools are a largely religion-free zone, but the State also funds private schools, nearly all Catholic, provided they teach the state curriculum. They do charge fees, but are fairly affordable and about 20% of high school students attend these schools - a minority, clearly, but not a trivial minority.

The laïcité of the State notwithstanding, the French make a distinction between the republic, which is laïque, and the French nation/French culture/French society, which is diverse and pluralist, but historically has a distinctive connection with Catholicism. Catholicism is seen as the characteristically French religion in much the way that Anglicanism is in England, Presbyterianism in Scotland, Orthodoxy in Russia, and this does give the Catholic church in France a social/cultural significance which is more than it would have simply as the largest of a number of non-established churches.

Pedroeibar is quite right to say that the state-sponsored memorialisation scheme for the French dead of the Great War did not involve the churches; this of course is because of the tradition of laïcité, so it's not an example of the church distancing itself from the state; more the other way around. Something similar was true in Italy, which although an overwhelmingly Catholic country was at the time at odds with the papacy. (They had a bit of unfinished business over the seizure of the Papal States.) During the war itself, and during the 1920s when monuments were being erected, the two were at odds and, once again, this resulted in not many war memorials being located in churches. From the late 1920s onwards war memorialisation efforts became increasing politicised by the Fascist government,and this made them increasingly controversial and therefore even less likely to be associated with churches.

What this suggests is that, overall, the question of whether war memorials will be located in churches isn't mainly driven by the attitudes of the churches. It's driven first and foremost by the bodies erecting the memorials, which are mostly state or political bodies. With Anglicanism's traditionally close, and traditionally somewhat subservient, relationship with the state, locating monuments in Anglican churches was relatively unproblematic, although in Ireland it did acquire a certain political significance, given what was going on here in the 1920s.

Advertisement