Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New builds with non traditional layout

Options
  • 25-09-2020 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Looking at potentially buying a new build however the one thing that has me unsure is the layout. I’ve seen the same kind of design for new builds on daft. Where the front door is at the side of the house as is your driveway, with neighbours drive away exactly parallel. So you’re front door and there’s are basically facing each other. It also looks like you can see in each other’s front rooms.
    Interested to hear from someone who has bought a similar house and how they find it? Or someone who decided not to buy for the same reasons.
    I’ll be looking at the show house next week to see and I know there are special blinds etc. Just looking for advice. TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

put up a link to them in daft

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

hi! wrote: »
    Looking at potentially buying a new build however the one thing that has me unsure is the layout. I’ve seen the same kind of design for new builds on daft. Where the front door is at the side of the house as is your driveway, with neighbours drive away exactly parallel. So you’re front door and there’s are basically facing each other. It also looks like you can see in each other’s front rooms.
    Interested to hear from someone who has bought a similar house and how they find it? Or someone who decided not to buy for the same reasons.
    I’ll be looking at the show house next week to see and I know there are special blinds etc. Just looking for advice. TIA

Hard to understand.
    Can you post a link to the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭hi!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hope the neighbours are careful with the car doors...

endacl wrote: »
    Hope the neighbours are careful with the car doors...

Exactly! Maybe they are wider than the photos ....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

hi! wrote: »

Dreadful design!
    I hate them. What happens when you want to Hoover out the car? You can’t even open the doors if your neighbors home.

Sorry, but I’d actually walk away from a house with this layout personally.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Dreadful design!
    I hate them. What happens when you want to Hoover out the car? You can’t even open the doors if your neighbors home.

Sorry, but I’d actually walk away from a house with this layout personally.

Not at all, all opinions welcome. Thinking it might not be worth it. Seems like a luxury having a driveway with some new builds 🙄 but these aren’t great.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't think it's that bad, depends on the exact driveway width.

My last house had short driveways next to each other like that, and it never caused an issue.

In order to see into each others side windows you'd need the furniture in an odd position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Just a couple of points on these driveways as there are some in my estate...Neighbours have noticed a lot more noise than those with front driveways as the kids play outside their houses, people looking in when walking by, if you have two cars it can be a juggling act if one leaves earlier/arrives home earlier etc. Personally, that kind of driveway would be a complete no no for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Strange design, most new builds are tall and narrow these days but this is the first time I've seen side doors facing each other. I wonder is there room there to put up a dividing fence? Perhaps even have a low roof attached to the side of the house, dealing with drainage would be a problem though and potentially would run off into your neighbours driveway unless they did the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement