Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacing a Triton T90XR

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Baseball72

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Using gas & oil to heat water is only 80 percent (or less) Efficient. the further away from your hot water cylinder the less efficient it is. Electric is 100 percent efficient. An electric shower is even more efficient than the element in the hot water cylinder as you only heat the water as you need & not trying to keep it warm for hour at a time. There is no wasted hot water at the end of the shower

It's a plumbing forum. People may read this for years to come. It's important to clarify misleading claims. All I said at the beginning was that you don't have free hot water from your having your heating on. The coil inside your hot water cylinder is like an extra rad. You wouldn't say that having a hot rad in the front room is "free" because you have the heating on in the rest of the house. You are paying to heat another rad, inside the cylinder, to heat the water when the heating is on. I heat water myself this way sometimes. I also use electric immersion at times. Nothing wrong with using your gas or oil to heat water. The point I tried to clarify is that it's never free. Heating on or not it's not free.
    Hi. Jumping here with 2 related questions:-

1. I have a Triton T90 XR - power greatly reduced (its installed a long time at this stage) but I did replace the original hose feed with an Aldi/Lidl hose fitting (not sure if this reduced its efficiency or not).

I am looking to replace it, if needs be, with most suitable Triton update. I presume its working off the water via the immersion tank. I do have gas central heating - but based on your comments earlier Sleeper 12 - I am better off sticking with using the shower via the electric rather than switching to a power shower via the gas?

2. I had the gas boiler serviced recently - my rads downstairs are 100% but upstairs not so good. The plumber recommended power flushing of the entire heating system which would then give same output of heat in the upstairs rads as the downstairs rads. A price of €800 was mentioned. Could you please advise your comments on this?

Thank you - some great advice on this thread for the layperson.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Your Triton t90xr is an electric shower. It only has a cold feed & doesn't come from the hot water cylinder. It heats the water with a built-in heating can. The heating can has two elements. Most likely one of the element has blown. The most suitable replacement is the triton t90sr silent electric shower

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Your Triton t90xr is an electric shower. It only has a cold feed & doesn't come from the hot water cylinder. It heats the water with a built-in heating can. The heating can has two elements. Most likely one of the element has blown. The most suitable replacement is the triton t90sr silent electric shower
    Thank you - yes the silent version would be good!

Any thoughts on the power flushing @ €800.00?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

Before flushing you might just shut off the downstairs rads and see if you get full heat to the U/stairs, if the boiler is old then the circ pump might be getting clogged up, is it (the pump) inside the boiler or external to the boiler.
    If your system has a small header tank (Feed & expansion tank) in the attic ensure that its full and if a pressurised system ensure boiler pressure 1.5 bar when cold.

John.G wrote: »
    Before flushing you might just shut off the downstairs rads and see if you get full heat to the U/stairs, if the boiler is old then the circ pump might be getting clogged up, is it (the pump) inside the boiler or external to the boiler.
    If your system has a small header tank (Feed & expansion tank) in the attic ensure that its full and if a pressurised system ensure boiler pressure 1.5 bar when cold.

Thank you, I will check further tomorrow on those suggestions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement