Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stove Door Rope Replaced, Cannot close door?

• 20-09-2020 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

We have a Stovax Riva 50 stove. I needed to replace the door rope. I bought the recommended Stovax rope(16mm) and glue. I thoroughly cleaned the groove of all old glue and followed the instructions from the Stovax site.
    After rehanging the door today I cannot close the door. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

16mm sounds really thick.

You now know 16mm is too thick so all you can do is try the next size down. tbh I never go by whats supposed to work I just try various sizes along one edge until I find one that works.

The problem might be that there are various grades of rope and some while the same size externally seem to have more material in them so they don't compress as much or in other cases too much.

In most cases I find the glue is a waste of time. If you have the right size most rope will stay in place after its been firmly shut in the door.

Another thought is that the rope will vary in thickness depending on whether you pull it out as you place it in the grove or push it up into itself and use the max amount of rope.

Think this problem depends on how much you can close the door?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭blackbox

Mumser wrote: »
    We have a Stovax Riva 50 stove. I needed to replace the door rope. I bought the recommended Stovax rope(16mm) and glue. I thoroughly cleaned the groove of all old glue and followed the instructions from the Stovax site.
    After rehanging the door today I cannot close the door. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

On some stoves the hinges can be adjusted to allow for compression of the rope.

stovax.com/download/Technical%20Documents/2.%20Fires/Built%20In%20&%20Wall%20Mounted%20Fires/Wood%20&%20Multi-fuel/Riva%20Multi-fuel%20Cassette/Riva%20MF%20Cassette%20Installation%20&%20User%20Instructions.pdf

pages 31 and 32 have the hinge and catch adjustment info

copy and past the url I can post links

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

I’ll try make some of the adjustments suggested by you both in order to compress the rope, thanks.

The rope does look a bit big but I thought by using the stove manufacturer’s replacement products, Stovax, that it would be reliable. The instructions online for rope replacement specifically said to be careful not to compress the rope when fitting....:rolleyes:

Mumser wrote: »
    I’ll try make some of the adjustments suggested by you both in order to compress the rope, thanks.

The rope does look a bit big but I thought by using the stove manufacturer’s replacement products, Stovax, that it would be reliable. The instructions online for rope replacement specifically said to be careful not to compress the rope when fitting....:rolleyes:

Perhaps they mean compression by compressing the rope along its length which would do make the rope thicker?

• Advertisement

Update

Be careful when fitting a new door rope.

As already explained, I used a new rope as recommended by the stove manufacturer and supplied by them (via my original installer). I’m not sure if I can name them here. I followed the installation instructions fully. When I couldn’t get the door closed I contacted our original installer. As advised above, they also suggested adjusting the door latch. This didn’t work out so they said I’d have to pay for them to come out and have a look.

The service guy said I had installed the rope perfectly. He couldn’t get the door to shut even with hinge and latch adjustments and said it just won’t work. He took out the rope and put in a rope he had in the van. A paper test, which I had to insist on, worked on all sides apart from the bottom side of the door.

On top of all this, the air wash leaver has been bent by efforts to try close the door which became misaligned by the rope, made and sold for my Riva stove. I never used excessive force, so can only assume it was the installer’s efforts. Of course there is no way of knowing this for sure. The lower door which covers the other leaver and ash tray cannot close as a result. This was not the case before the installer tried to fix the rope problem.

The upshot is that I believe the stove manufacturers sell a product which is not only incorrect for my Stove but also caused additional costs, time and damage to it.

Sorry for the long rant but I wanted to warn stove users of my experience.

Mods

I only found out that there is a dedicated stoves thread in this forum so please move this one to it if needs be.

Thanks

Advertisement