Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbour has issue with boundary wall I built

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I'm going to jump in with a question that's not going to help anyone. I don't think I've ever noticed a wall with pillars on only one side. Isn't it normal to have them in the middle of the wall to make it nice and symmetrical?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

McGaggs wrote: »
    I'm going to jump in with a question that's not going to help anyone. I don't think I've ever noticed a wall with pillars on only one side. Isn't it normal to have them in the middle of the wall to make it nice and symmetrical?

Depends on material used and type of wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,830 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

McGaggs wrote: »

Nope...I have a wall on my boundary exactly the same.
    I had never considered the 30 pillars on my side as a bad thing...thought never occurred :)

I am raging now though. :) Can I sue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I think you got this wrong from the start, a wall even if it is on your land is imposing on the neighbour, they might find it ugly or it’s too high and talking light from them, the putting the pillars on their side so they you have a clean wall is disrespectful. Throw not asking in the first place compounds it even more. They must thing you are right prick.
    The wall happens to accidently be in your garden makes no difference to them and doesn’t help you.

Why is he hammering the wall? If he’s simply taking lumps out of it he’s doing it to get arise out of you, just ignore it and he’ll soon stop.
    Is he putting up trestles so that they can grow plans on it to improve the appearance of it. If so go in and offer to have the wall painted as colour of their choosing and have trestles mounted all at you cost. Maybe do this anyway as it was you who f1cked up in the first place. If he’s the adult son of somebody living there then one day he’ll probably inherit the house and you’ll be dealing with him again.

I think you got this wrong from the start, a wall even if it is on your land is imposing on the neighbour, they might find it ugly or it’s too high and talking light from them, the putting the pillars on their side so they you have a clean wall is disrespectful. Throw not asking in the first place compounds it even more. They must thing you are right prick.
    The wall happens to accidently be in your garden makes no difference to them and doesn’t help you.

Why is he hammering the wall? If he’s simply taking lumps out of it he’s doing it to get arise out of you, just ignore it and he’ll soon stop.
    Is he putting up trestles so that they can grow plans on it to improve the appearance of it. If so go in and offer to have the wall painted as colour of their choosing and have trestles mounted all at you cost. Maybe do this anyway as it was you who f1cked up in the first place. If he’s the adult son of somebody living there then one day he’ll probably inherit the house and you’ll be dealing with him again.

If it was me, I wouldn't be giving in to pig ignorance. That would be habit forming and all future issues would be resolved that way.

Tell him to grow up and come back when he wants to have a reasonable conversation about it. And in no uncertain terms let him know you will take action if he is aggressive in any way in the future.

It's a wall ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

first of all its basic politeness to say to your neighbour i,m building a wall is that ok with you,here is where its going.
    its x height , pillars will be located her.
    the pillars should be on your side.
    maybe hes complaining cos the pillars take up 6 inchs of his land.

People have gone to court over 6 inchs of land on a boundary between house,s at great cost in legal fees .

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

enricoh wrote: »
    So the guy kicking up a fuss is a tenant. Ignore him, I'd say the landlord is delighted getting a free wall.
    Record him hitting the wall from the upstairs bedroom and send it to the landlord, the landlord will soften his cough

Best advice. This guy with the hammer is a TENANT, it's not even his property! I'm positive the landlord would be delighted to have a nice new wall built which didn't cost him a cent. Call the landlord immediately and tell him what's happening. He might even throw you a few quid when he realises it's not even on his land.

I would be really happy if my next door neighbour replaced our rubbish wooden fence with a new wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Christ almighty would reading the thread before posting be too much to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

riclad wrote:
    first of all its basic politeness to say to your neighbour i,m building a wall is that ok with you,here is where its going. its x height , pillars will be located her. the pillars should be on your side. maybe hes complaining cos the pillars take up 6 inchs of his land.

The wall is entirely on the ops land! This notion that pillars should be on ops side is nonsense, op paid for a wall as he doesn't want to look at the dirt next door. op owns the wall, op can face the pillars any which way they want once they're within regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The wall is entirely on the ops land! This notion that pillars should be on ops side is nonsense, op paid for a wall as he doesn't want to look at the dirt next door. op owns the wall, op can face the pillars any which way they want once they're within regulations.

I don’t think anyone is disputing the ops right to build a wall on his own land, just that it might have saved hassle and maintained good neighbourly relations if he has discussed it with his neighbour first. It isn’t a lot to ask really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Dav010 wrote:
    I don’t think anyone is disputing the ops right to build a wall on his own land, just that it might have saved hassle and maintained good neighbourly relations if he has discussed it with his neighbour first. It isn’t a lot to ask really.

Op was more naive than malicious. He doesn't need to answer to the dirtbird nextdoor nor justify his actions here. The only mistake he made was not coming on here prior to building the wall to seek the approval of moralistic strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

stevek93 wrote: »
    The wall isn't marginally on my property it is completely on my property.

So why, when you went to the effort of getting a survey done to prove that, did you not communicate this to your neighbour since??? This goes back to the original issue, you didn't bother communicating to your neighbour that you were building the wall. The neighbour is now trying to take lumps out of the wall as they are pissed off with you, you have proof that it's all on your land, but you are talking about calling the guards and going legal when you could just call in to the owner and show them the letter??? The mind boggles......

Op was more naive than malicious. He doesn't need to answer to the dirtbird nextdoor nor justify his actions here. The only mistake he made was not coming on here prior to building the wall to seek the approval of moralistic strangers.

It might be entirely built on his land (and he didn't know that until after the wall was built), but it's common courtesy if you are going to have some sort of disruptive building work going on to give your neighbour the heads up, as it is likely to disrupt them. Even from the point of view of building the wall, the builder may have been standing in the neighbour's garden at some point during the process.

So why, when you went to the effort of getting a survey done to prove that, did you not communicate this to your neighbour since??? This goes back to the original issue, you didn't bother communicating to your neighbour that you were building the wall. The neighbour is now trying to take lumps out of the wall as they are pissed off with you, you have proof that it's all on your land, but you are talking about calling the guards and going legal when you could just call in to the owner and show them the letter??? The mind boggles......

The neighbour is in the garden with a hammer...I wouldn't give him the time of day tbh.
    Let him have manners and a bit of perspective first. Why you are ignoring that behaviour - the mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

The wall isn't marginally on my property it is completely on my property.

If my neighbour built a dividing wall without talking to me I would be upset.
    I definitely would not like you as a neighbour.

Chiparus wrote: »

Why, would you want a garden where you have no divide or privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Why, would you want a garden where you have no divide or privacy.

Dont know, why did he not talk to the neighbour before he built the wall?
    Is the wall affecting his neighbours view? or his natural light?
    Did he have planning permission for the wall?
    From this weeks irish times:

However, in any boundary-related issue, it is advisable to maintain good relationships with neighbours if at all possible. Try to find some compromise and not let the issue escalate to a dispute, as disputes have lasting unpleasant consequences.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/our-neighbour-says-he-has-permission-to-build-on-our-boundary-wall-can-he-1.4358458

Best thing the neighbour can do is go into local planning office for a chat, then get a solicitor involved if there is even the slightest suspicion that the op has done something wrong here.

The neighbour is in the garden with a hammer...I wouldn't give him the time of day tbh.
    Let him have manners and a bit of perspective first. Why you are ignoring that behaviour - the mind boggles.

I'm not. The OP started it, he built a wall, he didn't bother to have the courtesy to let the neighbour know or to establish where the boundary was. Neighbour is pissed off with him, not reacting in the best way, but the OP's response now is 'should I send him a letter threatening legal action' when he could just call in and show them the letter.

The guy with the hammer is also not the owner of the house. Maybe he should just go and talk to the owner. Communication doesn't appear to be the OP's strong point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It’s not a dividing wall if it’s completely on the op property.

• Advertisement

I'm not. The OP started it, he built a wall, he didn't bother to have the courtesy to let the neighbour know or to establish where the boundary was. Neighbour is pissed off with him, not reacting in the best way, but the OP's response now is 'should I send him a letter threatening legal action' when he could just call in and show them the letter.

The guy with the hammer is also not the owner of the house. Maybe he should just go and talk to the owner. Communication doesn't appear to be the OP's strong point.

The owner hasn't said boo, as far as I can tell.

Let the little idiot with the hammer stew. Nobody who behaves like that deserves to be treated with any respect IMO. I know the type, it's about dominance, give in to him in any way and it will get worse.
    It's a wall in a garden, he didn't build a three storey house on half his garden.

Gumbo wrote: »
    It’s not a dividing wall if it’s completely on the op property.

That is being disputed apparently, solicitor time for both in all probability. A situation entirely avoidable with some common sense and consideration.

If this thread was posted by the neighbour claiming a new resident next door built a wall which encroaches on their property without permission nor discussion, no doubt the warriors would have a different view. Either way, it’s a poor way to start a neighbour relationship and most likely is going to fester. as long as both are there.

What will happen now if the op wants to apply for planning at any stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Sorry but I have communicated with the neighbour multiple times and am unable come to a resolution/agreement.

Neighbour believes wall is in his garden no matter what evidence is presented.

Sorry but I have communicated with the neighbour multiple times and am unable come to a resolution/agreement.

If they believe the wall is on their property, what resolution/agreement are you hoping for after the wall is built? The time for agreement was beforehand.

If they have a site map which places any part of the wall in their property, you will probably have to let a Court decide who is right.

Do you ever see yourself extending your house or doing anything which requires planning permission?

Dont know, why did he not talk to the neighbour before he built the wall?
    Is the wall affecting his neighbours view? or his natural light?
    Did he have planning permission for the wall?
    From this weeks irish times:

However, in any boundary-related issue, it is advisable to maintain good relationships with neighbours if at all possible. Try to find some compromise and not let the issue escalate to a dispute, as disputes have lasting unpleasant consequences.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/our-neighbour-says-he-has-permission-to-build-on-our-boundary-wall-can-he-1.4358458

Have you read the op posts ....

Planning for a wall ??? Only if you want to exceed the heights outlined in the rules.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Have you read the op posts ....

Planning for a wall ??? Only if you want to exceed the heights outlined in the rules.....

Wall is 198cm high.

You didn't say in any of your previous posts that you showed that evidence to the neighbour. All you said was that you had a surveyor out and you have proof that the wall is entirely on your property.

People posting here can only go on what you post.

Wall is 198cm high.

Are site levels the same on both sides?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

01Surveyor wrote: »
    This thread perfectly represents the understandable public confusion about property boundaries and party walls in Ireland. Here are some facts which may help but wont solve the OP's problems I'm afraid;

There is no conclusive statutory record of property boundaries in Ireland

Land Registry maps are non conclusive, you can scale them if you like, but scaling is inaccurate at the best of times and an exercise in futility at 1:500. The margin for error on Land registry compliant maps is +/- 500mm

The Land Reform and Conveyancing Act 2009 addresses work to Party walls and structures - unfortunately the rights it identifies are all subject to there being no dispute and it effectively sets down the processes for haveing a row ending ultimately in a court ruling.

Some property deeds will have a dimensioned map attached, or the narrative will contain a description of the boundaries with stated dimensions. These are sometimes helpful but with older properties the landmarks on which dimensions rely may no longer exist.

Not very helpful Im afraid but thats the reality in Ireland. Despite the technology being capable of precisely locating points on the earths surface we have a land registry system which is archaic and serves to fuel dispute not resolve it.
    In my experience boundary disputes are best resolved by pragmatic agreement, but in reality this rarely happens.
    I have only ever seen a boundary dispute resolved once by agreement and this was when one of the land owners turned up on site carrying a shotgun, minds were concentrated, and agreement quickly reached.....and lasts to this day. Im not suggesting this is the way to agree matters but sometimes it takes something dramatic to get people to behave sensibly and stop arguing about 'an inch' here or there.

This was posted way back earlier in the thread.

I would have the same experience of boundaries.

Your surveyor may be correct in stating wall on your land. He may not be right in front of a judge. And in front of a judge is the only way to sort of ye cannot reach an agreement. So reach an agreement if in any way possible

• Advertisement

The op is dealing with people that wanted both gardens open as they can feel like they own it all, it's probably a Micky measuring contest with family or if they have friends.... People are nuts.

Op cut all contact, if they damage the wall then call the Gardai and then it's court if they keep at it....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement