Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

World Championship Qualifiers

Options
  • 21-07-2020 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭

Breaking off today and the two Cork lads both up on opening day. Aaron Hill up against Chinese Chen Feilong at 1.30 which is on eurosport player followed by Ross Bulman taking on Rod Lawler at 7.30.

Wish them both well. Tough ask for Bulman against an experienced pro, but if Hill plays to form I'd fancy him to proceed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Breaking off today and the two Cork lads both up on opening day. Aaron Hill up against Chinese Chen Feilong at 1.30 which is on eurosport player followed by Ross Bulman taking on Rod Lawler at 7.30.

Wish them both well. Tough ask for Bulman against an experienced pro, but if Hill plays to form I'd fancy him to proceed.

The real killer is if Ross Bulman beats Rod he plays fellow Irishman Fergal o Brien in the second round of qualifiers.

Best of luck to the Irish!
    If Rod wins then it's Rod the Plod against FOB. That match could take a while. They might want to make it best of 3 if they want it finished in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I just can't get my head around the fact that the World Championship is next week. It's like Christmas being in April!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

How about this week? The world championships are already under way :-)

Frustrating opening frame for hill. Chen makes decent pot but fluked to land plum on black with whole table on.

Really impressive ton from Aaron but badly needed, 1-3 at interval. Hopefully settle him down and get back into it.

How about this week? The world championships are already under way :-)

Frustrating opening frame for hill. Chen makes decent pot but fluked to land plum on black with whole table on.

Well, I meant the Crucible bit :o

Edit: Reanne giving Andy Hicks a game of it. Think he made the semis once upon a time.

• Advertisement

zuutroy wrote: »
    Well, I meant the Crucible bit :o

Edit: Reanne giving Andy Hicks a game of it. Think he made the semis once upon a time.

Ah i knew yeah, just kidding.

Was keeping one eye on the hicks match, looks absolutely brutal stuff. Evans might have a sneak there i think.

Another really smart frame, 2-3. Game on now.

Another really smart frame, 2-3. Game on now.

It's slipping away now. Hill needed to win that scrappy frame 6

It's slipping away now. Hill needed to win that scrappy frame 6

That was a hammer blow. Chen looked to be struggling and then comes out with three great pots to clear! Aaron looks the better player but needs to learn the craft to winning frames at this level. A learning curve.

That was a hammer blow. Chen looked to be struggling and then comes out with three great pots to clear! Aaron looks the better player but needs to learn the craft to winning frames at this level. A learning curve.
    No shame in it. He's young and has time to learn. Best of luck to him in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Saw the last 2 frames in Hills match, From what i saw silly mistakes cost him like not finding the back cushion(not even the baulk line) twice.You can get away with that v amateurs but not against pro's.
    He can obviously pot and break build judging by his century break.Hope he learns from this next season.
    Bullman 4-3 down at the mo in what looks like a proper war.

Thought his head dropped a little when he went 2-4 down, it's understandable, he doesnt have experience playing seasoned pros who put you behind cover all the time. That will come with time hopefully.

I thought Bulman was the one who might struggle but he's hanging in there against one of the most seasoned of them all. Bit of gas left in this match yet I'd say.

Good stuff. Bulman taking this to a decider. Pity no live pics.

Not to be alas, but good effort nonetheless. All down to the vets now.

Surprised to see James Cahill in the first stage of qualifying. I thought he'd be higher up the rankings after his impressive debut season. But then I heard he fell off the tour and got back on again. Anyone have any info on that?

Surprised to see James Cahill in the first stage of qualifying. I thought he'd be higher up the rankings after his impressive debut season. But then I heard he fell off the tour and got back on again. Anyone have any info on that?

No real mystery. His ranking reflects his results over past season. Apart from beating Ronnie last year he's done very little and he got no points for that as he was an amateur at the time. Remember thinking he was a bit unlucky with draws, seemed to be running into trump and ronnie early in tournaments a lot of the time.

No real mystery. His ranking reflects his results over past season. Apart from beating Ronnie last year he's done very little and he got no points for that as he was an amateur at the time. Remember thinking he was a bit unlucky with draws, seemed to be running into trump and ronnie early in tournaments a lot of the time.

Ah I didn't know he didn't get points for beating Ronnie. Even a few thousand points can get you up from the bottom of the rankings.

I was in Blackpool for work last year when he was playing. I hoped there would be a bit of buzz about it but nobody I spoke to knew who he was. Bit disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Good to see Eurosport covering this.

Ah I didn't know he didn't get points for beating Ronnie. Even a few thousand points can get you up from the bottom of the rankings.

I was in Blackpool for work last year when he was playing. I hoped there would be a bit of buzz about it but nobody I spoke to knew who he was. Bit disappointing.

First year on tour is tough because you're starting from zero and you're then facing the second year of your card desperately needing points and running out of time. Then you keep drawing top 16 players first or second round and start thinking the world is against you! Vicious circle at times.

Fergal O'brien in action today against Rod Lalor at 2:30.

1.30 matches i think. Not on the live match list. No surprise there!

• Advertisement

If Fergal loses, he'll be off the tour for first time in his career so lot of pressure. Expect him to come through.

1.30 matches i think. Not on the live match list. No surprise there!

You're right. It is 1:30. For some reason it says 2:30 on the snooker.org website. Must be Central European Time.
    http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?event=862

Even if the start times are wrong, it's a handy place to follow the scores in all the matches.

And here is where I've been following the live matches once they start.
    http://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/LiveScoring/Tournament/14141/betfred-world-championship-2020-qualifiers

Fergal is 3-1 down to Rod Lawler. Hope he can pull it around.

Jimmy White is also 3-1 down to Michael Georgiou.

White has slipped to 123 in the rankings. I think he's just comfortable to have around at this stage. No harm in allowing older players to move on. He's earned £3000 this year (plus £5000 for winning the first round qualifier the other day). It's OK to say goodbye

Fergal pulled it back to 3-2 and then missed a chance to win the frame to make it 3-3. Frame is still in play.

White also back to 3-3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Jimmy game is awful but compelling at the same time. Think the highest break is just over 50. Both missing plenty of balls. Jimmy fought back well after going 3-1 down though. Thought at 3-3 it had final frame decider written all over it but Georgiou seems to be getting worse with each passing frame so Jimmy could win with a couple to spare yet.

Who's the guy co-commentating? First name is Peter. Is it Peter Lines? He's pretty decent.

Georgieu needs to win to keep his tour card. Adding to the pressure big time I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Wow! Georgiou shut me up big time there. 121 break to level it up. Not sure where that came from but what a time to get it. Hard to call this one.

Georgieu needs to win to keep his tour card. Adding to the pressure big time I'd say.

He's ranked no 63 in the world. How will he lose his tour card if he's in the middle of the rankings?

He's ranked no 63 in the world. How will he lose his tour card if he's in the middle of the rankings?

Only top 64 retain card so he'll be gone if he loses here. Looks a wreck out there.

Fergal wrapping things up nicely, easy in the end!

Edit: just to explain it better, only top 64 guaranteed but that doesnt include those on 2 year cards. Colour coded ranking table explains it well:

http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?template=35

• Advertisement

Jimmy seems very focused on the job in his interviews. Not completely outlandish that he could beat Milkins and (probably) Jimmy Robertson.

Advertisement