Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish car insurers which recognise UK no claims

Options
  • 15-07-2020 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Moving back from the UK in a few months and trying to fid out what Irish companies accept a UK no claims.

So far I've found that these companies specifically sate UK NCB (and some others) are acceptable.
    123.ie (broker)
    Liberty Insurance.

Others have strange wording
    FBD
    Zurich
    Alliance

If more than 2 years have passed since your Irish motor insurance policy was cancelled/lapsed, your No Claim Discount is no longer valid. However, if you have claims-free driving experience in a different country in your own name, we will take this experience into consideration if you seek a quotation from us on your return to Ireland, and subject to both the driving experience details being emailed by you to us and the appropriate verifiable documentation being provided.

This documentation will likely constitute a No Claim Bonus Statement and/or a letter of driving experience in respect of the relevant country. Please bear in mind that all documentation you gather abroad must be verifiable and should contain as much detailed relevant information as possible including but not limited to; the dates of the insurance policy, type of insurance, certification of claims-free driving.

From a comment below from etxp where FBD gave them a NCB it seems ok when moving back from UK it seems like they would be ok, but maybe you'd have to phone up rather than get quote online.

I haven't spent too long looking yet but it's all very manual checking, just wondeirng if anyobdy knows of a list or has already done this research ofr me :)

If not I'll complete the list once I finish, updating as I go along. Or if anybody things the post would be better placed in another forum let me know.

Thanks,
    Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭mikeecho

AXA Ireland don't.. even if you have an AXA UK ncb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

FBD did for me, but that was over 6 years ago. I had Aviva NCB in UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Strange, I would have assumed most, if not all do. I know i didnt have an any trouble going the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Hi,
    Moving back from the UK in a few months and trying to fid out what Irish companies accept a UK no claims.
    So far I've found
    123.ie
    Liberty Insurance.

I haven't spent too long looking yet but it's all very manual checking, just wondeirng if anyobdy knows of a list or has already done this research ofr me :)

If not I'll complete the list once I finish. Or if anybody things the post would be better placed in another forum let me know.

Thanks,
    Chris

123.ie is ‘just’ a broker - they choose a limited number of companies every year and negotiate bulk discount deals with them and then sell them to their customers - so they are not representative of the scope in the market. Having said that they do offer good discounts and save some shopping around. Did they tell you what company they were offering you? Might be of use to find and and ask if they also offered the same with other companies only more expensive - they typically only bother telling you about the cheapest one or two when you call.

BTW my insurance company which I paid in full for the year upfront and which is registered in the UK is currently in court over there trying to resolve conflict of interest and eu competition law issues and is trying to sell their entire EU portfolio to an Italian firm - because of Britexit. I predict things are going to get messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

123.ie is ‘just’ a broker - they choose a limited number of companies every year and negotiate bulk discount deals with them and then sell them to their customers - so they are not representative of the scope in the market. Having said that they do offer good discounts and save some shopping around. Did they tell you what company they were offering you? Might be of use to find and and ask if they also offered the same with other companies only more expensive - they typically only bother telling you about the cheapest one or two when you call.

BTW my insurance company which I paid in full for the year upfront and which is registered in the UK is currently in court over there trying to resolve conflict of interest and eu competition law issues and is trying to sell their entire EU portfolio to an Italian firm - because of Britexit. I predict things are going to get messy.

I am just looking online to get info at the minute, seeing who states it on the website. Figure if I've a choice of 2 or 3 places for the first year back I'll then have a no claims bonus I can use anywhere. When I moved over here I'd to be carfeful of the company I picked the fist year but could change easily after that as my NCB was now a UK one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

123 is RSA.

They were a broker but aren't since being sold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

25Plus.ie
    123.ie
    Liberty Insurance.

Others have strange wording
    FBD
    Zurich
    Alliance

(Added 25plus.ie but couldnt edit the old post as so old!)

Advertisement