Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

• 27-04-2020 3:00pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We have had a lot of refund threads lately, and a lot of people reporting them.

So this time around I will straight away ban you for a while from this forum if you don't play nice.

Paddy19 has provided some useful information and that is now a sticky.

All your refund queries should be in this thread only. I'll lock the others.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

How do you go ahead and submit the second request for the cash refund.

They sent a mail and said click here if you still want the cash refund. When I did that it sent me to another page but had no place to claim the cash refund, just the online customer page. I'm waiting 8 hours for somebody to get on to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

Roanmore wrote: »
    How do you go ahead and submit the second request for the cash refund.

They sent a mail and said click here if you still want the cash refund. When I did that it sent me to another page but had no place to claim the cash refund, just the online customer page. I'm waiting 8 hours for somebody to get on to me.

The airlines are trying to confuse people into thinking they have to request refunds twice. Or accept a crappy restrictive voucher.

You only have to make one refund request.

They should have given you back your money within 7 days
    per good old EU261 Article 8 1 A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

paddy19 wrote: »
    The airlines are trying to confuse people into thinking they have to request refunds twice. Or accept a crappy restrictive voucher.

You only have to make one refund request.

They should have given you back your money within 7 days
    per good old EU261 Article 8 1 A.

I got the mail saying they were giving vouchers instead but they said if I want the cash I have to ask again.

Just ignore it and they will eventually refund it?

Roanmore wrote: »
    I got the mail saying they were giving vouchers instead but they said if I want the cash I have to ask again.

Just ignore it and they will eventually refund it?

If your are not in a hurry you have 6 years to get your money back.

Mr. plain speaking Michael O'Leary will give it to you in 3 month's (Irish Indo today) or when he decides that " Covid has passed" ( Ryanair website).
    So you can make what you can of that!

Aer Lingus are taking 2 to 3 months at least.

If you want your money anytime soon take a look at the option in the Sticky.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073208

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

scc case began today so see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Vueling (Spanish) were being a dose with regard to getting a refund for a cancelled flight. Issues I had:
    - Automatically trying to offer a voucher than refund
    - Impossible to contact on phone
    - Applying for a refund online just wouldn't work
    - No answers from Social Media other than "We're very busy" etc.

Got sick of it, to requested a chargeback from BOI Credit Card.

Posted off the submission which would have gotten to them by Apr 7th. I included ALL requested documents, plus some more.

Money back in my account today, 28th Apr. BOI didn't contact me at all... I was about to contact them asking for an update but decided to check my balance and by chance, it was there.

TL;DR - Don't be taken for a ride by the airline, just go down the chargeback route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭ei9go

If you paid Ryanair by paypal, just open a dispute. Paypal refunded me after 7 days. They ask Ryanair for their response which obviously they ignore and Paypal will find in your favour after 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

Interesting. BoI, N26 and Paypal deserve praise for how they are handling charge backs. AIB and PTSB deserve a Central Bank investigation for their disgraceful behaviour.

Chased Revolut today for a charge back and told to wait another 10 days.

Chased SCC today too and no reply. @Paddy19 - Further to the other thread, where does one see their SCC case ID inside the SCC website. I do not have a case ID but maybe that is because the case has not started?

JTMan wrote: »
    Interesting. BoI, N26 and Paypal deserve praise for how they are handling charge backs. AIB and PTSB deserve a Central Bank investigation for their disgraceful behaviour.

Chased Revolut today for a charge back and told to wait another 10 days.

Chased SCC today too and no reply. @Paddy19 - Further to the other thread, where does one see their SCC case ID inside the SCC website. I do not have a case ID but maybe that is because the case has not started?

Case ID looks like:
    Number:
    D:SC:SWRD:2020:00216X
    It's at the top of page when you log in.

You need to get to Case Submitted stage.

Check the event tab.
    You may have missed the Submit Case action

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I just got another email from Ryanair now regarding the application for my refund but I’m super confused by it....

“ Dear Customer,

You have recently received an email with a voucher code to the value of your original booking.

Please note that this voucher is valid for 12 Months and can be used for your future travel plans, please note that if you do not use the voucher the voucher before the expiry date you will receive a full cash refund, in the event you use the voucher in part you will also receive the option of a voucher for the balance or a cash refund after the expire date.

Please click on the link below to accept the voucher”

So I can use the voucher away and still get refunded?!
    If I don’t click on the link to accept the voucher does that mean I’ll be refunded the cash instead?

I think I have mushy Covid brain because I can’t really make head or tail of this email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

ei9go wrote: »
    If you paid Ryanair by paypal, just open a dispute. Paypal refunded me after 7 days. They ask Ryanair for their response which obviously they ignore and Paypal will find in your favour after 7 days.

I fought with PayPal for a month!! How did you get your money back. They told me it was between me and Ryanair.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Mr rebel wrote: »
    I just got another email from Ryanair now regarding the application for my refund but I’m super confused by it....

“ Dear Customer,

You have recently received an email with a voucher code to the value of your original booking.

Please note that this voucher is valid for 12 Months and can be used for your future travel plans, please note that if you do not use the voucher the voucher before the expiry date you will receive a full cash refund, in the event you use the voucher in part you will also receive the option of a voucher for the balance or a cash refund after the expire date.

Please click on the link below to accept the voucher”

So I can use the voucher away and still get refunded?!
    If I don’t click on the link to accept the voucher does that mean I’ll be refunded the cash instead?

I think I have mushy Covid brain because I can’t really make head or tail of this email.

I got the email today too. It is BEYOND a joke at this point. I had no problem waiting a few months, but now it sounds like we'll have to wait a whole year for a refund?! That's OUTRAGEOUS. And they're trying to bully us into clicking the link to accept the voucher, otherwise we might not be entitled to the refund down the line. I will NOT be clicking that link! As soon as you accept the voucher, rest assured they'll change the rules again and you will never get your refund (on the basis that you accepted the voucher).

So what do we actually do here? Who do we complain to? 1 year is NOT acceptable by any stretch of the imagination. We were all due our refund within 1 week according to the legislation.

Case ID looks like:
    Number:
    D:SC:SWRD:2020:00216X
    It's at the top of page when you log in.

You need to get to Case Submitted stage.

Check the event tab.
    You may have missed the Submit Case action

Thanks Paddy but there is no case number for me. There is also no events tab also. Maybe these appear after the case has been approved by the SCC.

Just an update on my experience with Small Claims Court and FlightRights.ie.
    I juts ignored the 6 week suggested waiting period and sent in the complaint.
    There is no reason to wait 6 weeks for a cancellation refund, the airlines will just delay.

Both worked and got me my money.

I get the feeling that both have agreed fast track routes with the airlines.

Flightrights.ie was and very impressive 6 days and free .
    Software is simple and easy to use.
    Response was fast and personalised.

SCC costs €25 and was slower allowing the airline 15 calendar days to respond.
    Airline responded in ten days disputing refund request.
    Produced email confirming refund request and that finished the case 15 days.
    If I had included the airline refund request email it would probably knocked 3 days off.
    Software is a bit clunky but you get the hang of it.
    Response from SCC was fast and personalised.

So on a sample of 1 the winner is the free https://www.flightrights.ie/home/complaint-procedure.452.html service.

Be very interested to see how everybody else gets on!

Obviously if a lot more people start using either service they could slow down.

So you got your money back Paddy19?

So you got your money back Paddy19?

Hats off to the SCC and www.Flightrights.ie.

If I was a conspiracy theorist I might think that my presence here on boards got me to the top of the queue.
    But I don't think so.

Both processes were impressive in their efficiency and in the personal touch.

Don't expect to get non template emails these days.

People were helpful, knowledgable and efficient.

Not often that you can say that!

Hopefully everybody else will have the same pleasant, efficient and timely experience.

Nice to see the public sector show how customers should be treated.

Hats off to the SCC and www.Flightrights.ie.

If I was a conspiracy theorist I might think that my presence here on boards got me to the top of the queue.
    But I don't think so.

Both processes were impressive in their efficiency and in the personal touch.

Don't expect to get non template emails these days.

People were helpful, knowledgable and efficient.

Not often that you can say that!

Hopefully everybody else will have the same pleasant, efficient and timely experience.

Nice to see the public sector show how customers should be treated.
    I have the scc paid today so I'll see how that goes. Did you use flightrights for a separate flight claim to the one you used the scc for?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm due a balance on AerLingus flights (they refunded taxes & charges). Got sick of requesting the balance from them so submitted to http://www.flightrights.ie/ today - let's see what happens.

Thanks for the tip.

I have the scc paid today so I'll see how that goes. Did you use flightrights for a separate flight claim to the one you used the scc for?

I had one claim and let each of them at it.
    I started the SCC early since they had a fixed 15 day window,
    Flightrights were open ended.

SCC claim went to the Aer Lingus legal eagles.
    Who, as you'd expect, nit picked the lack of the refund confirmation email
    even though I had the refund case number documented in the claim.

Flightrights went straight to their contact in Aer Lingus and agreed the precise refund amount
    (the admin charge is not refundable).
    Flightrights explained that they would check back with me in 14 days and if I didn't get the money
    they would follow up with powers of enforcement.

Interesting little study.

Obviously drawing any conclusions from a sample of one is dangerous but still promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

woodchuck wrote: »
    I got the email today too. It is BEYOND a joke at this point. I had no problem waiting a few months, but now it sounds like we'll have to wait a whole year for a refund?! That's OUTRAGEOUS. And they're trying to bully us into clicking the link to accept the voucher, otherwise we might not be entitled to the refund down the line. I will NOT be clicking that link! As soon as you accept the voucher, rest assured they'll change the rules again and you will never get your refund (on the basis that you accepted the voucher).

So what do we actually do here? Who do we complain to? 1 year is NOT acceptable by any stretch of the imagination. We were all due our refund within 1 week according to the legislation.

Just got it, ignoring that bs, they haven't a legal foot to stand on, waiting for charge back response then trying flight rights if that doesn't come through.

• Advertisement

Thanks Paddy but there is no case number for me. There is also no events tab also. Maybe these appear after the case has been approved by the SCC.

I think I might have it.
    You need to hit the RED Submit Case button.

See attached screen shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Submitted a Small Claims court case last week and it was approved and paid for today. Tried contacting Ryanair through their micky mouse online system and got no where before hand, thanks to Paddy19 for the information regarding submitting claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

email from Aer Lingus this morning advising refund has been paid, 10 working days blah blah blah

dont think the flightrights complaint i submitted to them wouldve reached them yet but if that was the tipping point im impressed with them

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

There's an article on Ryanair refunds on independent.ie but it's behind a paywall. Anyone have a subscription?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Just out of curiosity on timelines, can anyone let me know who has already got their first email from Ryanair about flight cancellation/refund, how long before the date of the first flight is this being issued?
    I have a flight going out on Jun 6th so would think an email would be imminent?
    Thanks

I think I might have it.
    You need to hit the RED Submit Case button.

See attached screen shot.

Thanks Paddy but I have already submit my case.

I have no case number but maybe I just need to wait until the SCC approves my case.

There's an article on Ryanair refunds on independent.ie but it's behind a paywall. Anyone have a subscription?

You can read it for free here. Put 900000000 in as your library number.

Thanks Paddy but I have already submit my case.

I have no case number but maybe I just need to wait until the SCC approves my case.

Yes you won't get a case number until it's been approved and paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭ei9go

ei9go wrote: »

Just got two more chargebacks through Avantcard shortly after I wrote the previous post. One for Aer Lingus and another for Ryanair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭eltonyio

Paddy, I have a claim in the SCC and am at the stage now to pay the €25 as of today. Based on your experience, is it worth proceeding this route? Or better to go via flightrights? Total flight value is around 1k. I don't mind paying it but obviously no need to if flightrights is as effective. Flights with Ryanair.

Advertisement