Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just chancing my arm to see can anyone ID this little fella?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Looks very like the larva of the carpet beetle, I think.

Cheers for that Rancid. Very interesting and insightful. It does indeed look like that from the Google images I'm finding.

The only thing that's putting me off is that the info I'm finding online about them suggests they love to chomp on fabrics and materials. However, the place I most see them, is in a bathroom, that's tiled and plastered and only has the usual ceramic and glass materials in it. I can't seem to figure out what they're at, in terms of being in there, if they are carpet bugs.

Between the ceiling and (flat) roof, there is rockwool insulation. But a bit of googling doesn't seem to say that they'd eat that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭FluffyTowel

Aww. He’s adorable. Have you given him a name?

Cheers for that Rancid. Very interesting and insightful. It does indeed look like that from the Google images I'm finding.

The only thing that's putting me off is that the info I'm finding online about them suggests they love to chomp on fabrics and materials. However, the place I most see them, is in a bathroom, that's tiled and plastered and only has the usual ceramic and glass materials in it. I can't seem to figure out what they're at, in terms of being in there, if they are carpet bugs.

Between the ceiling and (flat) roof, there is rockwool insulation. But a bit of googling doesn't seem to say that they'd eat that.
    Agree it's odd to find them in a bathroom... bathmat is the only possibility, though very unlikely!
    Perhaps they are looking for a place to pupate... again unlikely in a bathroom!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Shaggy ?

• Advertisement

I call him Squishy. :p

Rancid wrote: »
    Agree it's odd to find them in a bathroom... bathmat is the only possibility, though very unlikely!
    Perhaps they are looking for a place to pupate... again unlikely in a bathroom!

Never see them on the bathmat though. Always tend to be hovering about in the same general area (usually along the ceiling or high up on the walls).

I was fairly confident it was a form of woodlouse originally, as we've an extractor fan and I figured they were coming in from out there, that perhaps there was something wooden nearby and they were wandering into my house accidentally.

But they're never really near the extractor fan. It's really odd.

I really appreciate your help Rancid. You're a massive help with narrowing it down. At least I know what I can be googling now.

Never see them on the bathmat though. Always tend to be hovering about in the same general area (usually along the ceiling or high up on the walls).

I was fairly confident it was a form of woodlouse originally, as we've an extractor fan and I figured they were coming in from out there, that perhaps there was something wooden nearby and they were wandering into my house accidentally.

But they're never really near the extractor fan. It's really odd.

I really appreciate your help Rancid. You're a massive help with narrowing it down. At least I know what I can be googling now.
    You'd expect to find them under mats or carpets or in corners where dust or hair gathers, even in the corners of drawers and they'd pupate in the same areas.
    Why they would climb bathroom walls is a mystery. Is it possible they need moisture?

Good luck with solving the mystery!

Advertisement