Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the World Championship Go Ahead as Normal??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭OutTheGap

The BBC showed the 1994 final today where Stephen Hendry beat Jimmy 18-17. Jimmy looked to be on for a winning clearance in the last frame but missed an easy black off the spot. He said after that he got a rush of blood to the head and snatched at it.

While you’d feel sorry for him for not winning the World Championship, he lacked the coolness under pressure that Davis and Hendry had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It was devastating to watch 1992 and 1994. And Jimmy got hockeyed in between in 1993.

He was such a great sport joking at the end of the 94 final to David Vine: 'he's beginning to annoy me'. I was fit to throttle Hendry, only watching it on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

OutTheGap wrote: »
    The BBC showed the 1994 final today where Stephen Hendry beat Jimmy 18-17. Jimmy looked to be on for a winning clearance in the last frame but missed an easy black off the spot. He said after that he got a rush of blood to the head and snatched at it.

While you’d feel sorry for him for not winning the World Championship, he lacked the coolness under pressure that Davis and Hendry had.

Always wonder if he'd beaten Alex in 82 how would things have worked out for him? Think he said that himself, that defeat left a mark. Missed a black off the spot while on 40 break in that frame where alex makes the clearance too. Still had to beat dracula but could have all been different for him.

Always wonder if he'd beaten Alex in 82 how would things have worked out for him? Think he said that himself, that defeat left a mark. Missed a black off the spot while on 40 break in that frame where alex makes the clearance too. Still had to beat dracula but could have all been different for him.
    He was unlucky in that almost every time he got to the final, he was up against Davis or Hendry at their peak. No disgrace in losing to them. He had chances in 1992 and 1994 but couldn’t get over the line.

The other time he got to the final was when John Parrott beat him in 1991. That was a big missed opportunity for him as it was the only time Parrott made the final.

He was unlucky in that almost every time he got to the final, he was up against Davis or Hendry at their peak. No disgrace in losing to them. He had chances in 1992 and 1994 but couldn’t get over the line.

The other time he got to the final was when John Parrott beat him in 1991. That was a big missed opportunity for him as it was the only time Parrott made the final.

Yeah, 91 is a funny one. Could argue it was Jimmys big missed opportunity but at same time Parrott was outstanding all that tournament, just picked his time to peak. Not sure anyone would have beaten him given his form that week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

All down to bottle with jimmy in my opinion. Agreed against Hendry & Parrot in two finals not many would have come near them. Against Davis it came down a best of three in the end . Versus Hendry in ‘92 I feel he pushed the boat out at 14-8 when realistically if he had won one of the last two and gone into the final session 15-9 I feel it was to big a climb for Hendry.

As a lot of commentators say , in a final frame all you want is a chance, in ‘94 he got his and produced one of the greatest twitches in snooker, it comes down to bottle and winners have it in abundance. Once Hendry came to the table you knew it was all over and unfortunately Jimmy did too. That was his last final and it must be heartbreaking for him to look back at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

For all the talk about Jimmy White being a great player his record in the big three tournaments is pretty poor. Two wins and nine losses. There are many players with more triple crown wins without his legendary status in the game. He's miles off the top players in my opinion. Nowhere near Ronnie, Hendry, John Higgins etc. Again he was a peoples favourite, a wideboy Cockney who partied hard. Bit of a bad boy but without Alex's thuggery. One thing i never liked was why he addressed the cue ball with his cue looking like it was going to rip the baize it was so low. Worked for him but never saw any player do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

For all the talk about Jimmy White being a great player his record in the big three tournaments is pretty poor. Two wins and nine losses. There are many players with more triple crown wins without his legendary status in the game. He's miles off the top players in my opinion. Nowhere near Ronnie, Hendry, John Higgins etc. Again he was a peoples favourite, a wideboy Cockney who partied hard. Bit of a bad boy but without Alex's thuggery. One thing i never liked was why he addressed the cue ball with his cue looking like it was going to rip the baize it was so low. Worked for him but never saw any player do that.

I’d always consider jimmy one of the games greats, granted he never won as many titles as the Hendrys, O’Sullivans etc and of course you’re always going to be judged on what you’ve won but I guess his longevity and what he brought to the game deserves a lot of recognition.

As his peak he was the games best cueist, his timing was faultless hence the reason he cued so low on the white, regardless of talent not many players can cue that low without the chance of a miscue. My only gripe with Jimmy is that he has continued to compete and really should have considered retirement like Davis and Hendry did. His love for the game just keeps him plugging away I guess !

Oh behave!

Losing 6 world finals does colour that record admittedly. But its still an achievement. He's in the top 10 all time for me, though time may well push him out of it.

FR01 wrote: »
    I’d always consider jimmy one of the games greats, granted he never won as many titles as the Hendrys, O’Sullivans etc and of course you’re always going to be judged on what you’ve won but I guess his longevity and what he brought to the game deserves a lot of recognition.

As his peak he was the games best cueist, his timing was faultless hence the reason he cued so low on the white, regardless of talent not many players can cue that low without the chance of a miscue. My only gripe with Jimmy is that he has continued to compete and really should have considered retirement like Davis and Hendry did. His love for the game just keeps him plugging away I guess !

He won 2 majors. Ronnie has 19 and Hendry the same i think. And make no mistake Ronnie and Hendry and John Higgins know the value of winning the big three tournaments and give extra credit for them. And rightly so. The fact is for a legend of the game a return of two majors is pretty poor and there's no getting away from that. Not denying he was a good player. But for the big trophies he was not a great winner. And that for me is what seperates the great from the very good.

• Advertisement

He won 2 majors. Ronnie has 19 and Hendry the same i think. And make no mistake Ronnie and Hendry and John Higgins know the value of winning the big three tournaments and give extra credit for them. And rightly so. The fact is for a legend of the game a return of two majors is pretty poor and there's no getting away from that. Not denying he was a good player. But for the big trophies he was not a great winner. And that for me is what seperates the great from the very good.

You’re right. He didn’t win nearly enough of the big titles to be considered in the really top bracket of players like Davis, Hendry, O’Sullivan and John Higgins.

But for his cueing and long potting ability combined with the flamboyant way he played the game, he will always be remembered fondly by those who saw him play at his peak.

You’re right. He didn’t win nearly enough of the big titles to be considered in the really top bracket of players like Davis, Hendry, O’Sullivan and John Higgins.

But for his cueing and long potting ability combined with the flamboyant way he played the game, he will always be remembered fondly by those who saw him play at his peak.

Absolutely.

I don't believe anyone said he was in the same bracket as the likes of hendry, O'Sullivan or davis. Clearly he isnt. Those 3 are clear of the pack and higgins just on their heels, not too far behind in my estimation.

There are up to 20 players with more majors than Jimmy White. And quite a few with a lot more. Jimmy has the same as Matthew Stevens, Stuart Bingham and Dennis Taylor. All good players for sure.

Even though he didn’t win as many World Championships as Steve Davis, I’d actually rank John Higgins higher for his longevity and the fact that the standard of snooker is higher now than in the eighties.

Hendry would have to be number one ahead of Ronnie because of his temperament and his tactical game. Ronnie was devastating at his best but could lose focus too easily sometimes. That could all change if he came back and won another world championship,

Counting majors is one way of ranking greatness, obviously carries some weight. If you want that as strict criteria then you'll have Dennis Taylor above White because he won a world title and the latter didnt. We all have different ways of evaluating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

1. Ronnie
    2. Hendry
    3. Williams
    4. Higgins
    5. Davis
    6. Reardon
    7. Selby
    8. Trump
    9. Alex
    10. Jimmy

Honourable mention for our Ken. Inside the top 20 with 3 World finals

Even though he didn’t win as many World Championships as Steve Davis, I’d actually rank John Higgins higher for his longevity and the fact that the standard of snooker is higher now than in the eighties.

Hendry would have to be number one ahead of Ronnie because of his temperament and his tactical game. Ronnie was devastating at his best but could lose focus too easily sometimes. That could all change if he came back and won another world championship,

Would you not call reaching a world qf at 53 longevity? But i get your point. Personally I'd see the fact of john higgins still reaching world finals as a mark against the present standard of the game, but it's all about opinions.

1. Ronnie
    2. Hendry
    3. Williams
    4. Higgins
    5. Davis
    6. Reardon
    7. Selby
    8. Trump
    9. Alex
    10. Jimmy

Quite fair all told. I'd have alex higher, maybe bias on my part. Higgins above williams and judd at 10. Just think judd has to do a bit more to push himself up, early days yet for him.

Counting majors is one way of ranking greatness, obviously carries some weight. If you want that as strict criteria then you'll have Dennis Taylor above White because he won a world title and the latter didnt. We all have different ways of evaluating.

Ronnie and Hendry evaluate like that. They are obsessed with the big three trophies. So are all the players. The majors carry a lot of weight. And rightly so. The big players wim the big prizes. Jimmy was a very good player. But not a great winner. Thats the way i see him anyway but you're right we all see it differently.

• Advertisement

Ronnie and Hendry evaluate like that. They are obsessed with the big three trophies. So are all the players. The majors carry a lot of weight. And rightly so. The big players wim the big prizes. Jimmy was a very good player. But not a great winner. Thats the way i see him anyway but you're right we all see it differently.

Definitely dont disagree. But hendry and ronnie are out on their own in terms of greatness. Of course jimmy isnt going to compare with that, very very few can. Modern snooker really only going maybe 50 years anyway, not been huge masses of greats all told.

1 Ronnie
    2 Hendry
    3 John Higgins
    4 S Davis
    5 M Williams
    6 M Selby
    7 Trump (think he will climb this table)
    8 Robertson
    9 Ding
    10 Jimmy

Good point about Ken earlier. I would think top 20 for sure. Won a world title when they were hardest won, at a time when the likes of ronnie, higgins and williams were in their prime and davis and hendry were still very competitive. That was the games golden age right there.

Good point about Ken earlier. I would think top 20 for sure. Won a world title when they were hardest won, at a time when the likes of ronnie, higgins and williams were in their prime and davis and hendry were still very competitive. That was the games golden age right there.

For sure. Beating Hendry 18-12 in the final when Hendry was at his peak was some achievement. Pity he couldn’t have added a second one. Very close against Mark Williams in 2003 but it just slipped away from him at the end.

FWIW

Hendry
    Ronnie
    Davis
    J Higgins
    Williams
    Alex
    Reardon
    Selby
    Jimmy
    Spencer

Alex fecked up by not winning 2 or 3 more world titles in the 70s, should've been his decade if he'd bothered to focus more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

OutTheGap wrote:
    For sure. Beating Hendry 18-12 in the final when Hendry was at his peak was some achievement. Pity he couldn’t have added a second one. Very close against Mark Williams in 2003 but it just slipped away from him at the end.

That missed red at 16 all still haunts me. Williams was on the ropes after a stunning comeback from the crafty one in the third session.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

For all the talk about Jimmy White being a great player his record in the big three tournaments is pretty poor. Two wins and nine losses.

The '3 big tournaments' concept is a modern day thing though, you shouldn't really apply it too far into the past (and nor should the BBC :rolleyes:) to calculate players merit.

For example the Grand Prix was massive in the 90s, a 2 week televised event with a prize fund similar to the UK Championship. White was 2 from 3 in finals in that.

The '3 big tournaments' concept is a modern day thing though, you shouldn't really apply it too far into the past (and nor should the BBC :rolleyes:) to calculate players merit.

For example the Grand Prix was massive in the 90s, a 2 week televised event with a prize fund similar to the UK Championship. White was 2 from 3 in finals in that.

Thats grand. Fair play to him. He's a very good player. The big three are the most prestigous tournaments now. And have been for a long time. And all the players know that and are mad to win them.

Good point and well made.

Always hard comparing eras in any sport as we often dont make allowances for advantages the more modern players/athletes have. So it's easy to diss older players because they made so few centuries without referring to how easy the playing conditions have got these days.

And how do you size up somebody like Joe Davis anyway? Undoubtedly a great but just too far back for even me to be able to adequately compare him to the current generation.

• Advertisement

Jimmy White has had 319 century breaks in 40 years of professional snooker. Crafty Ken Doherty has 346 centuries and started about 10 years after Jimmy. The tables have been in great shape since the 90s/00s. That's approx 8 centuries per season for Jimmy. It seems quite low. Ronnie hit 6 or 7 in one match once. And 4 or 5 on numerous occassions. All the top players knock them in for fun now. The conditions have been excellent for quite a while.

Advertisement