Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Cue Reccomendations

• 10-03-2020 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭

On the look out for a new cue at the moment. I currently use a Riley "Ken Doherty" 3/4 joint cue, have the cue about 12 years. no particular reason to change other than I fancy a change and would like a handmade cue.

I'm looking to get a handmade cue, have been looking at Mark Richards or Woods cues. Also considering having a go at making a cue myself, but having difficulty sourcing the ebony or rosewood for the butt.

Has anyone any recommendations? Budget is 150ish, 200 if it includes extensions and mini butt.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I guess not many people play the game or have purchased cues :( or maybe the forum doesn't get enough traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

etxp wrote: »
    I guess not many people play the game or have purchased cues :( or maybe the forum doesn't get enough traffic.

If you have the funds then it has to be a John Parris, best in the business !

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

I don't buy into the hype about Parris cues tbh.

Try Abban Reddy in Wexford. Makes some beautiful cues.

Can't understand the sense in going for a two piece cue. Got to be a single piece!

Thanks for the replies. I’ll look into the place in Wexford. Can’t get a one piece unfortunately as it won’t fit in the car :( Is is just a feel thing between one piece and 2 piece or are they better?

John Parris is very expensive although highly regarded I don’t know could I justify the cost! I looked at the website and the only one o could afford was the cheapest, which i didn’t particularly like the look of.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Thanks for the replies. I’ll look into the place in Wexford. Can’t get a one piece unfortunately as it won’t fit in the car :( Is is just a feel thing between one piece and 2 piece or are they better?

John Parris is very expensive although highly regarded I don’t know could I justify the cost! I looked at the website and the only one o could afford was the cheapest, which i didn’t particularly like the look of.

https://thesnookerforum.co.uk/

Have a look here for more info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm not a cue expert but I did buy a John Paris Cue in their store in south London, Forest Hill I think, way back in the late 90's. I bought the cheapest one they had. IiRC I paid £170 for it. High quality but I hated it. I think it was just too heavy for me. It didn't make me magically play any better either lol

You might find this of interest. Just popped up in my youtube feed the other day.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_6tBPjmPpw

AllForIt wrote: »
    I'm not a cue expert but I did buy a John Paris Cue in their store in south London, Forest Hill I think, way back in the late 90's. I bought the cheapest one they had. IiRC I paid £170 for it. High quality but I hated it. I think it was just too heavy for me. It didn't make me magically play any better either lol

You might find this of interest. Just popped up in my youtube feed the other day.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_6tBPjmPpw

I've seen that video before. I play golf quite a bit and its the same in that, you can spend thousands on clubs and still knock your first shot of the day out of bounds :D

Is there any shops around where you could go try cues out?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I've seen that video before. I play golf quite a bit and its the same in that, you can spend thousands on clubs and still knock your first shot of the day out of bounds :D

Is there any shops around where you could go try cues out?

I dont know are you in dublin but the lads in the billiard company on Marlborough St are always helpful with advice. They have a table in the shop for that very purpose so probably worth a call if you are in the neighbourhood.

I dont know are you in dublin but the lads in the billiard company on Marlborough St are always helpful with advice. They have a table in the shop for that very purpose so probably worth a call if you are in the neighbourhood.

I'm in Galway, but I might take a trip up after a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Yes I’ve got to second that, great selection of cues etc. Run by two ex professional players too !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭elgriff

OK sports in Rathmines usually has a good selection too.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭fran38

I'm in Galway, but I might take a trip up after a few weeks.

Ask the lads in the new snooker/pool club on the Tuam Rd for their opinions. Hotshots its called.

fran38 wrote: »
    Ask the lads in the new snooker/pool club on the Tuam Rd for their opinions. Hotshots its called.

I'm in there regular enough so will have a chat with them. Probably wont be going there for a while though with the virus and all that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭fran38

I'm in there regular enough so will have a chat with them. Probably wont be going there for a while though with the virus and all that :(
    Get onto the Galway no1 😀

fran38 wrote: »
    Get onto the Galway no1 ��

Lol! I think I’d rather go it alone than that!:P

They look lovely cues, but I think they are for American pool. I'm looking for an English Pool/Snooker cue. Thanks for the recommendation though. :)

Advertisement