Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Milk in a glass bottle

Options
  • 28-01-2020 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭

Are there any shops that stock? Does anybody know if it is homogenised/ non homogenised.

Tired of drinking the crap stocked in plastic and terra.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Don't Know where you re located - but we have this on the Cork area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Debub wrote: »
    Don't Know where you re located - but we have this on the Cork area

They look great. I've heard that there is a place in Kilmainham in Dublin that stocks milk in a glass bottle. I'll have to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Has a life cycle assessment ever been conducted, to see at what point bottled milk is preferable from am emissions point of view, to using tetra pak?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Has a life cycle assessment ever been conducted, to see at what point bottled milk is preferable from am emissions point of view, to using tetra pak?

It’s not just an emission thing. Plastic bottles and tetra paks end up in the oceans and land.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

milk bottles make perfect sense if the empties are collected, washed and reused - they're not inherently more environmentally friendly. so merely buying milk in a glass bottle does not mean you're being kinder to the environment.

• Advertisement

milk bottles make perfect sense if the empties are collected, washed and reused - they're not inherently more environmentally friendly. so merely buying milk in a glass bottle does not mean you're being kinder to the environment.

Of course I'm not saying that, but if we are to use any method to determine the effect of a process or service on the environment, CO2 output or the cumulative energy demand is a decent way of taking all aspects of production and end of life options into account. I don't know if it is, hence, I'm asking, has anyone done this research?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like the EPA did some:
    A 1997 EPA study bears this out, as refillable glass was found to use about half as much energy during its life cycle than either plastic or gable-top cartons.
    https://slate.com/technology/2011/03/should-i-buy-milk-in-glass-plastic-or-cardboard-containers.html

That warms my heart. My village has a milk-man delivery, sadly I don't drink it myself but it is taking off. Would love to see it expanded.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

God be with the days of hiding the milk under the car so the crows didn't peck through the foil.

does he still deliver in bottles?
    if so, it's quite an energy efficient way of distributing the milk, as i would assume collection of empties (still) coincides with delivery of fresh milk, so no extra journeys made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

They look great. I've heard that there is a place in Kilmainham in Dublin that stocks milk in a glass bottle. I'll have to check it out.

I know of some farms selling direct but you’ll be paying €3/litre €2.5 when you return the empty bottle.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I know of some farms selling direct but you’ll be paying €3/litre €2.5 when you return the empty bottle.

I tell myself that the only way to get the market to respond to the new climate agenda, is to hit them in the pocket. Once the larger producers see the potential margins of switching over to the sustainable processes and products, they can instigate a change. If I have to spend an extra few quid every week to make this happen, I'm willing to take it. Preferable to some government 'climate tax' anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Looks like glass needs 20 trips to break even. IIRC Not all dairies got the 20 trips back in the day

I'd be wary of the extra food miles for milk deliveries if they don't have many customers.

Used to get milk delivered, not bottles, but stopped when it dropped down to once every few days. The original point was that you'd have fresh milk every morning. But since I'd easily be at the supermarket anyway several times a week there was no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

God be with the days of hiding the milk under the car so the crows didn't peck through the foil.

Given that you're only 30 I doubt that you remember milk in glass bottles being delivered. Damn, I wish I was 30 again. :D

PS It was Blue Tits not crows that pecked through the bottle tops and drank the cream.

It can be done successfully elsewhere so don't expect to see it happen in Ireland any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Dunnes used to have one supplier that would provide milk in glass bottles a while back. I do not know if they still do.

Dublin. There is a guy that sells milk in bottles not pasteurised or homogenised at skerries Mills Market I think every other Saturday. You buy the glass bottle from him and bring back each time you get milk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Given that you're only 30 I doubt that you remember milk in glass bottles being delivered. Damn, I wish I was 30 again. :D

PS It was Blue Tits not crows that pecked through the bottle tops and drank the cream.

I certainly do, they were delivered in the 90s sure. I think it stopped when Irish Glass closed down which was early 2000s.

Nice video clip and isn't it marvellous how things have turned out the way they have 21 years later - Tetrapak billions more in the bank, plastic cartons all over the country and in the sea - who could ever have predicted it. :rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetra_Pak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, I'm a small scale dairy farmer in Munster and am investigating starting up direct sales. Would a milk vending machine such as the attached fit the bill if in a convenient location?

https://images.app.goo.gl/E4yyDPHYt9Lz4C5RA

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I and about sixty others I know in Cork City would definitely avail of such a service. I get the Gloun Cross dairy stuff from Neighbourfood and reuse the bottles by buying a 5l tub of milk and transferring it. I would definitely pay €2 per litre for a refill of unhomogenised milk, it's worth the extra money because it tastes better and leaves less waste in landfills.

The glass bottle stays really nice and cold which keeps the milk fresher, especially when you put it in the back of the fridge instead of leaving it in the door where it gets a blast of room temperature air every time the fridge is opened.

Just to add as well for any bakers, the Gloun Cross buttermilk is superior to any other stuff I've used and it also comes in bottles which can be reused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, I'm a small scale dairy farmer in Munster and am investigating starting up direct sales. Would a milk vending machine such as the attached fit the bill if in a convenient location?

https://images.app.goo.gl/E4yyDPHYt9Lz4C5RA

Great idea but you're up against it even though you should have the Green Party In government on your side. For example, a reverse vending machine which collects plastic bottles was introduced last year. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/irelands-first-reverse-vending-machine-for-plastic-opens-in-monaghan-38547743.html These should be in every supermarket in the country. So why aren't they. Because it costs more to collect the plastic And recycle than it does to just produce it.

Milk in a glass bottle should be reintroduced. We need alternatives to plastic and we are kidding ourselves recycling plastic. I spoke to a manager in A supermarket about milk in glass bottles and he told me that there are concerns about listeria. I hope you can get your idea off the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 PosterX

Will be like old times if they come back

The milk floats and the bottles of milk dropped at the door

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Thanks for the feedback:)
    I would be hoping to offer non homogenised organic raw and pasteurised milk.

PosterX wrote: »
    Will be like old times if they come back

The milk floats and the bottles of milk dropped at the door

In the days when milk actually tasted like milk and had a nice creamy top.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

s1ippy wrote: »
    I and about sixty others I know in Cork City would definitely avail of such a service. I get the Gloun Cross dairy stuff from Neighbourfood and reuse the bottles by buying a 5l tub of milk and transferring it. I would definitely pay €2 per litre for a refill of unhomogenised milk, it's worth the extra money because it tastes better and leaves less waste in landfills.

The glass bottle stays really nice and cold which keeps the milk fresher, especially when you put it in the back of the fridge instead of leaving it in the door where it gets a blast of room temperature air every time the fridge is opened.

Just to add as well for any bakers, the Gloun Cross buttermilk is superior to any other stuff I've used and it also comes in bottles which can be reused.

+1 for Gloun Cross - love their stuff, we only get their milk (whenever available)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

There was non homoginised milk in glass bottles you could buy in shops a few years ago in county Limerick
    They stopped producing it due to lack of demand.
    56062355_regular.jpg
    It is with great regret that we have been forced to stop production of Adare Farm Milk. After 6 years, we unfortunately had to come to the decision to cease that side of the business. Due to escalating costs, we just weren't able to make it viable anymore.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank all our customers. We have been very grateful for your support over the years, and it is with great regret that we have been forced to stop supply.

We are still continuing with the Ice Cream and Pig On A Spit parts of the business.

The Adare Farm Team http://www.adarefarm.ie/milk-stop-production.php

The only one I can get now is Ardfert milk in a plastic bottle
    110301333_1377079745821445_1547685195384607301_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=pi6sGC68E8MAX88CwIt&_nc_ht=scontent.fymy1-2.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=bf9d0214323099cd7c991582141d63cd&oe=5F5116D0

https://ardfertfarm.ie/
    This is a notice about glass bottles on their webs site. I have not seen it in the shops yet.
    108686669_1376268692567460_4936826715939123831_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=2Su-TbdZ4rgAX_eRlug&_nc_ht=scontent.fymy1-1.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=ae26b2628761b470ea8b5dd7b5dc8aaf&oe=5F52745F

stockest of nonhomoginsed milk
    long list in link
    http://mossfield.ie/wheretobuy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Del.Monte wrote: »

You beat me to it! And we had little caps to put over the tops to keep the blue tits off.

Advertisement