Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

looking for beginner kit

• 30-09-2019 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi all

Looking for recommendations for a good quality beginner kit with everything I would need to get started

Looked at a few stores online and really not sure what to go for

Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

grugni wrote: »
    Hi all

Looking for recommendations for a good quality beginner kit with everything I would need to get started

Looked at a few stores online and really not sure what to go for

Any advice would be appreciated

What sort of archery are you interested in?

Traditional archery (english longbow, korean etc)
    Olympic recurve (stuff you see in the olympics with all the bells and whistles like sight, arrow rest, stabilizers etc)
    Barebow (same bow as the olympic recurve except you dont use any of the extras. You aim without a sight)
    Compound (hunting style bow with cam wheels, magnification scope, stabilizers, release aid)

Whats your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭grugni

Hi

I didnt know there was so many types of bows

Honestly from the sets Ive seen and from what Ive read it would be either the recurve or the barebow. Ive fancied giving it a go for years and now I have an opportunity

Budget is around £150 - £200

Much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

grugni wrote: »
    Hi

I didnt know there was so many types of bows

Honestly from the sets Ive seen and from what Ive read it would be either the recurve or the barebow. Ive fancied giving it a go for years and now I have an opportunity

Budget is around £150 - £200

Much appreciated!

I would recommend something like a Samick Sage. It's a take down recurve (meaning you can take it apart basically). They range from about 25 to 60 pound draw weight. Depending on your strength, you can upgrade the limbs as you get stronger and better and shooting. There's tons and tons of utter crap you could buy for your hobby. You don't need it.

Essential items:
    Bow
    Arrows (the arrow should match the draw strength and draw length of your bow)
    Quiver
    Arm Guard
    Tab (or something to protect your fingers while you draw back on the bow string)
    Something to shoot at (you can make a target yourself with some basic tools).

Non essential items:
    Sight
    Bow rest/stand
    *insert the 500 items you could use but are not required*

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭spud65

Just finished a 6 week beginners course, thought i'd just do it for a laugh, pass a few nights, but I actually loved it. Our instructor told us we could carry on using their equipment for another few weeks just to make sure we wanted to carry on with it. So maybe do a beginners course if theirs a club near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I would recommend something like a Samick Sage. It's a take down recurve (meaning you can take it apart basically). They range from about 25 to 60 pound draw weight. Depending on your strength, you can upgrade the limbs as you get stronger and better and shooting. There's tons and tons of utter crap you could buy for your hobby. You don't need it.

Essential items:
    Bow
    Arrows (the arrow should match the draw strength and draw length of your bow)
    Quiver
    Arm Guard
    Tab (or something to protect your fingers while you draw back on the bow string)
    Something to shoot at (you can make a target yourself with some basic tools).

Non essential items:
    Sight
    Bow rest/stand
    *insert the 500 items you could use but are not required*

May not be essential, but a Bow rest/stand will make your life much easier rather than putting the bow on the ground every time and getting muddy if shooting outside or scratched when inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭grugni

Thank you for all the advice

Im based in Donegal and have a look around for clubs, there seems to have been a few which dont exist anymore

Been checking the Samick Sage Bow and think I will try and get that along with the essentials and see how I get on.

I know there is a store in Sligo that sells archery equipment so I think its time for a road trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭spud65

https://targetcrazy.com/archery/resources/proper-archery-form/#Aiming

This one is very close to what I learnt in the class.

Advertisement