Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Without getting into this same old debate again, you do realise that Federer has skipped the entire clay season for the last two years. I wonder will people remember that when they "bang on about the H2H". Nadal has obviously had a wretched run on hard since 2018 onwards but at least he is giving it a go, and not skipping it.

Fed was already 35 when he began skipping it though, Nadal is 32.

Nadal with no wins against Federer since 2014, and no wins off clay against Djokovic since 2013. Pretty amazing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Nadal definitely trying to save the H2H at this point. Disappointed in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

LOL Irish trad music being played during the changeover in the Kerber/Andreescu final.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Wow, Bianca Andreescu wins Indian Wells at just 18, and as a wildcard! Remains to be seen whether this'll be a flash in the pan or the start of a great career, but for now it's an incredible story. Up to #24 in the rankings and #5 in the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Fair play to Andreescu, great to see another young player put their name in the mix. Becoming a seriously competitive environment at the moment.

Elsewhere i see Naomi Osaka’s sister in the main draw in miami. 338 ranked in the world, two matches played this year (on challenger and futures) and two heavy defeats. Fair to say not everyone is happy about it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Elsewhere i see Naomi Osaka’s sister in the main draw in miami. 338 ranked in the world, two matches played this year (on challenger and futures) and two heavy defeats. Fair to say not everyone is happy about it!
    Well in fairness, at 338 in the world, she's been doing okay for herself over the last 52 weeks, so the two heavy defeats this year are not typical. And that's what wildcards are for, the tournament either believe she will attract crowds, is capable of winning some matches, or deserves the financial support at this stage in her career.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Fair play to Andreescu, great to see another young player put their name in the mix. Becoming a seriously competitive environment at the moment.

And one of those defeats was a double bagel :pac: The perks of having a World #1 tennis sibling I guess! Tbf though I'm sure there are lots of worse American players who've got wildcards throughout the years, but even so, giving Mari a main draw wildcard is a stretch. A wildcard for qualifying would've been more appropriate, if even that.

And one of those defeats was a double bagel :pac: The perks of having a World #1 tennis sibling I guess! Tbf though I'm sure there are lots of worse American players who've got wildcards throughout the years, but even so, giving Mari a main draw wildcard is a stretch. A wildcard for qualifying would've been more appropriate, if even that.

Yeah was just about to say that. A wild card for qualifying wouldn’t have raised too many eyebrows i think, but into the main draw seemed a bit much. And just for being someone’s sister, that was always going to provoke some comment.

Then again, i certainly wasn’t complaining when Simon Carr got an invite to dubai a few weeks back. That was just to qualifiers but I’m not sure Simon is inside the top 1000 so it would be a bit hypocritical of me to give out about the obvious nepotism here.

Yeah was just about to say that. A wild card for qualifying wouldn’t have raised too many eyebrows i think, but into the main draw seemed a bit much. And just for being someone’s sister, that was always going to provoke some comment.

Then again, i certainly wasn’t complaining when Simon Carr got an invite to dubai a few weeks back. That was just to qualifiers but I’m not sure Simon is inside the top 1000 so it would be a bit hypocritical of me to give out about the obvious nepotism here.

Yeah sure, it happens everywhere. Pretty sure Marko Djokovic and Elke Clijsters have both been given wildcards throughout the years that were in no way earnt. With Simon Carr, I think there's an Irishman involved in the upper reaches of the Dubai tournament? Seem to remember James Mcgee (who I assume is retired now) getting a main draw wildcard a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Surprised at the lack of posts regarding Thiems win over Fed on here...in any case, it was a great win, he really took the initiative in the 2nd and 3rd sets with some unreal winners. Bit mad that he has won his first masters on hard and not clay, but he did show at the USO last year that his game is suited to medium speed hard. Would love to see him have a good clay season, culminating with a win at RG - he's been getting closer every year.

• Advertisement

He was really swinging for the fences yesterday. I couldn't believe that all the balls kept landing in.

Azarenka lost to Garcia in Miami, currently down to #67 in the live rankings. I don't like writing people off, but I'm not sure the tennis future is that bright for her. She's back playing a full schedule about a year now, and she can't even do well in the smaller tournaments. Tbf because her ranking is low she's bumping into a lot of the top players in the earlier rounds (Venus, Petra, Serena etc.), but she'll be 30 in July. I'd love to be wrong, but I'm not sure. Not that she'll care in the slightest because she got a beautiful baby boy out of it, but having Leo really f*cked her career.

Isner-Federer final in Miami

giphy.gif

The WTA side isn't a whole lot better though, imo. Pliskova should win, she flies under the radar a lot but she's had a very impressive year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Federer seems to be the only member of the 'big whatever' who cares about these pesky masters tournaments anymore, although I expect Djokovic and Nadal to tune in a bit more in the couple immediately preceeding the FO.

gives the young fellas an opportunity to jostle for position in a new look top 10 I suppose...but then you get Federer - Isner in the final..........

Barty is a great bit of stuff, way too good for Ka Plis. Been putting few quid on her last few slams but nothing this week alas! Her slam record probably should be better than it is, but i think she'll get there sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

lostcat wrote: »
    Federer seems to be the only member of the 'big whatever' who cares about these pesky masters tournaments anymore, although I expect Djokovic and Nadal to tune in a bit more in the couple immediately preceeding the FO.

gives the young fellas an opportunity to jostle for position in a new look top 10 I suppose...but then you get Federer - Isner in the final..........

It would be sad to think that the top players (i mean the top 20/30) don't care about the Masters tournaments. I can understand the like of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic maybe not focusing too much on them but that because of where they are in their careers. But I would expect the up and coming players to be busting a gut to win these Masters tournaments.

It's disappointing not to see that Zevrev, Tsipitas, etc not making more finals of these tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Floppybits wrote: »
    It would be sad to think that the top players (i mean the top 20/30) don't care about the Masters tournaments. I can understand the like of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic maybe not focusing too much on them but that because of where they are in their careers. But I would expect the up and coming players to be busting a gut to win these Masters tournaments.

It's disappointing not to see that Zevrev, Tsipitas, etc not making more finals of these tournaments.

Federer now No 1 in the race!

Federer now No 1 in the race!

The old dog for the long road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

With regards to the wonderful world of women's tennis

Jessika ponchet beating Tara Moore 6-0 5-0 with match point and Tara Moore came back to win the match.

Lajovic-Fognini Monte Carlo final, bet the organisers are thrilled with that :pac: It'll probably mean nothing in terms of RG, I expect The Balding One to breeze through the draw as always.

• Advertisement

ATP Finals will be held in Turin from 2021 to 2025. Sad it'll be leaving London but might finally make the trip over before it leaves, I've talked about it enough times. Delighted it's staying in Europe too and not some soulless Chinese venue.

Tricky match coming up for Osaka in Stuttgart against familiar foe Hsieh, that could swing either way, particularly on clay. Meanwhile, Dominika Cibulkova managed to lose to 192 ranked Greet Minnen, who's the girlfriend of compatriot Alison Van Uytvanck.

Fun fact about Pouille's 2019
    https://twitter.com/tumcarayol/status/1121029767464140800

Madrid this week should be interesting with Federer returning to play on clay for the first time in a couple of years. Be interesting to see how Thiem gets on, he has a couple of good results the last couple of weeks. I'm not sure if Fogini is a dark horse after his win in Monte Carlo, god knows what Fogini turns up.

Djokovic needs to have a good run in both Madrid and Rome to have some chance in Paris. The loss of form is surprising and is like that time he crashed out of Wimbledon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

On my way to Madrid, going to the evening session tomorrow. Praying Federer can somehow get past Thiem and it's a Fed - Djokovic semi. Why couldn't it be Thiem who got good poisoning??

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭CassieManson

On my way to Madrid, going to the evening session tomorrow. Praying Federer can somehow get past Thiem and it's a Fed - Djokovic semi. Why couldn't it be Thiem who got good poisoning??

Who got food poisoning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Who got food poisoning?

I think it was Cilic. He was due to play Djokovic earlier.

Got BT Sports after changing broadband so finally getting to see some WTA tennis. Very tempted to splash out for ATP.

Onto Rome now. 3 different winners on the clay now Fogini, Thiem and Djokovic. Be interesting to see what happens this week. Hard to know with Nadal, is there something bothering him, is he saving energy for Paris or are we starting to see some chinks in the armour? Me I think he is saving energy for Paris. He is a different beast in a 5 set match than a 3 set match. I couldn't see Thiem or Tsipipas living with him in a 5 set match. Djokovic should get some confidence from winning in Madrid, have to see how he goes this week to see if he is back on form.

Sharapova out of Roland-Garros

giphy.gif

Serena, meanwhile, pulled out of Rome after playing just a single match, meaning she'll have played just a single match on clay and only four matches since the Australian Open if she plays RG.

Sharapova out of Roland-Garros

Serena, meanwhile, pulled out of Rome after playing just a single match, meaning she'll have played just a single match on clay and only four matches since the Australian Open if she plays RG.

Did I read that Sharapova has only played 3 tournaments this year?

Funny that the match Serena pulled out of was against her sister.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Unsurprisingly Kyrgios doesn't hold back in this lengthy interview with Ben Rothenberg. Describes Nadal as 'Salty', says Novak 'has a
    sick obsession with wanting to be liked which is cringeworthy and adds that Djokovic can never consider himself the best in the world as he has never beaten Kyrgios. Think Nick has a 2-0 record against Novak.

https://nochallengesremaining.podbean.com/e/episode-226-nick-kyrgios/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,861 ✭✭✭Christy42

Pighead wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly Kyrgios doesn't hold back in this lengthy interview with Ben Rothenberg. Describes Nadal as 'Salty', says Novak 'has a
    sick obsession with wanting to be liked which is cringeworthy and adds that Djokovic can never consider himself the best in the world as he has never beaten Kyrgios. Think Nick has a 2-0 record against Novak.

https://nochallengesremaining.podbean.com/e/episode-226-nick-kyrgios/

He gives out about Djokovic pulling out of the Australian and then proceeds to have a temper tantrum against Ruud.

For all that he disparages the sport and claim not to care he sure does seem to get emotional on the court.

Advertisement