Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hive with Bord Gais

• 06-03-2018 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭

Bord Gais currently have a 24 month offer that includes Hive Active kit and installation.

Once installed is there also a fee to Hive for remote access?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

I’d also be interested in the answer to this

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Also we have a three zone heating system - upstairs/downstairs and hot water

But the controls/thermostats put in are apparently very limited (new build) - main controller is time based yet there are thermostats upstairs and downstairs. Seems conflicted to me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

There is no monthly/yearly fee for Hive Active Heating.

lawred2, not sure if that was a Hive question, as doesn't sound like a Hive controller.

And if not, it's not conflicted, its called a Y-Plan, that give system interlock.

That is, time and temperature control, so when a timer calls for lets say heat upstairs, it signals to the thermostat upstairs, and if the thermostat upstairs reads that that zone is already warm enough, the boiler won't fire up. But if it's colder than the pre-set temperature, then it in turn sends power to the motorised valve that controls that zone, which again in turn send a signal to the boiler that the zone is open and ready to accept heat, then the boiler fires up.

DGOBS wrote: »
    There is no monthly/yearly fee for Hive Active Heating.

lawred2, not sure if that was a Hive question, as doesn't sound like a Hive controller.

And if not, it's not conflicted, its called a Y-Plan, that give system interlock.

That is, time and temperature control, so when a timer calls for lets say heat upstairs, it signals to the thermostat upstairs, and if the thermostat upstairs reads that that zone is already warm enough, the boiler won't fire up. But if it's colder than the pre-set temperature, then it in turn sends power to the motorised valve that controls that zone, which again in turn send a signal to the boiler that the zone is open and ready to accept heat, then the boiler fires up.

It's not a hive controller... I get how it works but for me the point of a thermostat should be to keep a zone at or close to a set temperature all the time not just a few times a day that the timed heating kicks in.. sure as soon as the heat kicks out it drops away from the thermostat setting

I presume hive offers a more customizable way for controlling the heating!?

Can I even retrofit a hive system to the system we have?

It all depends on usage, you would use the timer to set for times when the zone/premises is occupied, and not heat it when it's not.

You can test how the hive operates by downloading the app and selecting 'demo mode'
    But it is based on the same idea, with the exception of you program for 24hrs, and set the temps, so work either like a traditional time/stat, but you can also do set-back on the stat, so adjust for different temperatures over the day.

• Advertisement

It all depends on usage, you would use the timer to set for times when the zone/premises is occupied, and not heat it when it's not.

You can test how the hive operates by downloading the app and selecting 'demo mode'
    But it is based on the same idea, with the exception of you program for 24hrs, and set the temps, so work either like a traditional time/stat, but you can also do set-back on the stat, so adjust for different temperatures over the day.

I like that... Cooler during the night and when we're out during the day but warmer in the evening when we're all home..

Presume it differentiates between weekday and weekend? Or can you set whatever routines you like?

it has a 7 day programme, so you can have each day different if you need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Running one from a self install over 15 months now.
    No monthly/yearly fee.

Great gadget, remote control from outside the home is excellent for those times that you are side tracked and won't be making it home at your expected hour. You can knock off the heating from where ever you are so as not to waste oil/gas. Similarly if you come home early you can tell it to heat up for when you arrive.

I really only adjust my schedules once or twice a year and use the remote access for anything outside that in the above scenarios.

If the offer makes sense go for it, it's a great piece of tech.

It gets even more fun when you add in light build, motion, window and door sensors and cameras!!
    And make them all interact.

Add a Amazon Echo or Dot, and start talking to your devices when at home too!

It gets even more fun when you add in light build, motion, window and door sensors and cameras!!
    And make them all interact.

Add a Amazon Echo or Dot, and start talking to your devices when at home too!

I've already got hue lights.. from what I gather they don't work together.

But I think they both work independently with Alexa??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I read earlier that you can integrate hue lights into Hive, I'm not sure. I keep the app up to date and haven't seen anything mentioned. Supporting a competitors products hardly seems likely either, worth looking into nonetheless.

Roen wrote: »
    I read earlier that you can integrate hue lights into Hive, I'm not sure. I keep the app up to date and haven't seen anything mentioned. Supporting a competitors products hardly seems likely either, worth looking into nonetheless.

Promising

https://www.hivehome.com/support/Our_Hive_Products/OHP_General/What-can-I-do-with-Philips-Hue-and-Hive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

lawred2 wrote: »
    Bord Gais currently have a 24 month offer that includes Hive Active kit and installation.

Once installed is there also a fee to Hive for remote access?
    Hi is the Hive kit and installation free or is there a fee?

Payton wrote: »
    Hi is the Hive kit and installation free or is there a fee?

Free kit and installation worth 299

I have to pay an extra 119 for another zone

The offer you have above is for installation and equipment that covers up to 1xheating zone and 1xhot water zone (assuming you already have that level of control) if you have additional heating zones they are an extra €119 each

Remember, Hive will replace the current timer you have, so if you have a single zone timer, Hive will be a single zone...and so on.

The offer you have above is for installation and equipment that covers up to 1xheating zone and 1xhot water zone (assuming you already have that level of control) if you have additional heating zones they are an extra €119 each

Remember, Hive will replace the current timer you have, so if you have a single zone timer, Hive will be a single zone...and so on.

yeah - we have two zones plus hot water in our current system - hence the extra 119 for the extra zone

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Guy came to install mine yesterday, after 2 hours had to give up, virgin modem is upstairs and not great or no wifi where boiler is, he suggested uping my broadband speed from 120mb and mentioned getting a new modem nergear nighthawk, anyone come accross this problem, would it sort the problem,thanks.

meathman0 wrote: »
    Guy came to install mine yesterday, after 2 hours had to give up, virgin modem is upstairs and not great or no wifi where boiler is, he suggested uping my broadband speed from 120mb and mentioned getting a new modem nergear nighthawk, anyone come accross this problem, would it sort the problem,thanks.

the hub plugs into the router (or a connected switch/port) to start with - it's not connected over wifi. Hive uses Zigbee to communicate with the receivers and thermostats/controllers which is an entirely different wireless protocol. Phillips Hue lighting uses the same technology.

Perhaps you could move your hub closer to your boiler using powerline adapters - VM can supply them to extend your router's connectivity (https://www.virginmedia.ie/customer-support/broadband/powerline-adapter/)

I'd suggest complaining to BG and request that they send out a competent installer the next time. Suggesting upping your broadband speed is absolutely laughable. As is replacing your router. Clearly a case of a lad who doesn't fully grasp how all the components knit together.

For the record - our Hive was installed yesterday. Everything working perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

the hub plugs into the router (or a connected switch/port) to start with - it's not connected over wifi. Hive uses Zigbee to communicate with the receivers and thermostats/controllers which is an entirely different wireless protocol. Phillips Hue lighting uses the same technology.

Perhaps you could move your hub closer to your boiler using powerline adapters - VM can supply them to extend your router's connectivity (https://www.virginmedia.ie/customer-support/broadband/powerline-adapter/)

I'd suggest complaining to BG and request that they send out a competent installer the next time. Suggesting upping your broadband speed is absolutely laughable. As is replacing your router. Clearly a case of a lad who doesn't fully grasp how all the components knit together.

For the record - our Hive was installed yesterday. Everything working perfectly.

He did say it should only take about 15 min to set up, when he pluged the transmitter into my modems port it would not update, at the time i tried my intetnet and it was acting up, he said ad my 2 sons are gameing and i have 2 sets of home plugs in use that could cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Free kit and installation worth 299

I have to pay an extra 119 for another zone
    Ive just checked their site and its 299 euros including install..I was going to sign up as a new customer but i might wait and see what other offers they have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Apologies for digging thread up... I'm thinking of signing up to Bord Gais and was wondering of getting Hive on a 2yr plan.... Is it worth getting it with Bord Gais?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Apologies for digging thread up... I'm thinking of signing up to Bord Gais and was wondering of getting Hive on a 2yr plan.... Is it worth getting it with Bord Gais?

I have hive on 2 thermostats and hot water. Very happy with it
    Got one hub and stat from Bord Gais a couple of years ago and bought water and stat on an amazon promotion a year later

Advertisement