Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Influencers over-editing photos in Social Media/Cyber-bullying accusations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I’m just delighted this has all come out in the wash

The pics posted in this thread aren't even the half of it.
    I'm not on my phone so I can't post any more, but there were easily 30+ photos of her, both taken on the same day, where in one she was edited to a size 4 Bratz doll, and the other, a normal, healthy sized roughly 12-14 woman.

She has even contacted fans and made them delete non curated photos and selfies they got with her, because she couldn't edit and control them. Her book launch was over 2 years ago and she really upset one fan by sending her a threatening message, warning her to delete a photo, because she looked "fat" in it.

What's on this thread is only the tip of the iceberg.

I know, the Instagram page is an eye opener. I seen the pictures filter in on Reddit (no pun intended) and I’m still shocked to see others as they come up, especially the one from 2016 from that lingerie shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

ratmouse wrote: »
    What a lot of us would like to see her do more of is staying at home with her dogs instead of passing them off at weekends or when off on very regular holidays
    Or go on a weekend away in Ireland and bring them with her - there's a few dog friendly hotels and guest houses around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

More pics from the Instagram page..

g7gcbMw.jpg

Z1hvrks.jpg

Same event...

EYenTxB.jpg

nXyFvlZ.jpg

eyxeCRS.jpg

t5mh76B.jpg

ZQhedL5.jpg

h7kCaMg.jpg

neWLL1d.jpg

QSFNr9i.jpg

Same event...

k1SafTJ.jpg

Personally I think if you still defend her carry on after seeing those images, you need to have a long hard look at yourself.

anna080 wrote: »
    More pics
    <snip> quoted pics
    Personally I think if you still defend her carry on after seeing those images, you need to have a long hard look at yourself.

Also can I point out, her ACTUAL body shape is perfect! Literally nothing wrong with how she looks at all. I’ve two young sisters in their early teens. One loves youtubers/instagrammers and this is what is being fed to them.
    How is it that we can shut down the over editing of models/actresses/celebs in magazines because it’s creating a false image that’s harmful and yet we have women who are perfect like Joanne here having the reach that extends to young teens with the ability to warp their thoughts on what ‘perfection’ is.
    It literally sickens me.

Yep and I'd say most, if not all of the comments said the same thing. Nothing at all wrong with her real body. It's just shocking to see it because of how she manipulates her images.

• Advertisement

Exactly. This is why I’m so annoyed at the whole ‘bullying’ moniker being thrown about. No, you were just caught out hun. Playing the victim really doesn’t make them right like

Exactly. This is why I’m so annoyed at the whole ‘bullying’ moniker being thrown about. No, you were just caught out hun. Playing the victim really doesn’t make them right like

It's actually amazing that she had the neck to call herself a victim of bullying because people had the audacity to post pictures of the real her. Imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Here's a fantastic article which really sums up the whole weekend without cherry picking on certain points (which the likes of VIP, goss, evoke etc... seem to do) https://www.independent.ie/style/voices/comment-irish-influencers-have-a-responsibility-to-their-followers-to-be-honest-36468158.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

More pics from the Instagram page..

<snip> quoted pics

And you need to book an appointment with an optician.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

wyrn wrote: »
    Here's a fantastic article which really sums up the whole weekend without cherry picking on certain points (which the likes of VIP, goss, evoke etc... seem to do) https://www.independent.ie/style/voices/comment-irish-influencers-have-a-responsibility-to-their-followers-to-be-honest-36468158.html

The journalist has definitely been stalking us for a while, good article though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I don't know if it's been said already but she tried to say that the photos in the instagram account (the ones Anna linked) wee manipulated to make her look bigger, some of those photos were from fans, there's others from xpose and some are from other places.

All are liars according to Joanne. It's becoming worrying that she insists on continuing the facade when it's crumbling around her and needs the validation from strangers.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Sorry of against rules (delete if it is) but she actually needs help, real proper psychiatric help. She has some sort of body dsymorphia, contacting fans to delete pictures she can’t control is unreal. She looks nothing like a human in some of those edited pics, perfectly normal and nice in the real ones. I feel sorry for her, it’s all a sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

It's the scale/extent of the manipulation that is very troubling - creating images and a physique that young girls aspire to attaining, when it's close to physically impossible (or at least takes a lot of hard work and discipline). I mean it's not like it is just putting a bit of a tan filter on and airbrushing out some cellulite or scarring/stretch marks which we all know goes on in most photos. It's a completely different ball game.

Incredibly well written. Nail on the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I'm glad that someone in the media got the right end of the stick and didn't just label people bullies and haters.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

Was anyone left feeling crap about themselves when the bloggers did their whole 'war against the bullies'? I was. I have real respect for Sabrina (hair dresser from cork) and Tara Make up and even faces by grace but they really made me feel bad yesterday. I know ye will prob think I'm a lunatic letting them affect me but their negativity yesterday impacted upon me. I would love if they apologised. I don't care what they say now and what hole they try crawl into, accusing people who discuss them online or follow Instagram pages of being bullies was wrong. Even watching Tara tonight, hurt me. Think I'll have to go get rid of her, she was too passive aggressive yesterday. Disappointed by so many of them and their reactions.

Being called a bully for participating in a chat like this hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

Has anyone watched Terries snaps? I’m not sure how I feel about them. I really appreciate her honesty, she was clearly expressing what she thinks about it all. Also feel like that if influencers want to make money off their following then they have a responsibility to their following and it’s not good enough to say it’s my platform feck off if you don’t like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Just read that now-deleted Instagram post by MUF, this girl has serious issues and I'd be worried about her if I was her family/friends:
    I’ve spent the past two days bawling my eyes out over what’s going on online over the past few days. I’m NOT talking about fake accounts containing unflattering pictures or even ones stretched to make me look bigger than I am. I’m talking about daily abuse and harassment on forums discussing my private life, family, and break up, people following every single thing I say and do and picking it apart. Enough is enough.

Whatever excuse you have for doing it know that it’s not acceptable and if I was a younger version of myself this would push me over the edge. I’m just a girl who has a slightly abnormal job in the public eye who works harder than my Instagram feed may show. I run a business. I have felt like the fat girl, hell I was a size 14-16 above (and there’s NOTHING wrong with that size), I’ve battled with so many insecurities over the years and still do. I have binged because I was depressed, I’ve starved myself to look smaller, I’ve become insecure as a result of emotional abuse in a relationship, and I’ve felt a pressure to edit my pictures over the years when I wasn’t losing weight fast enough. I’m just a normal woman like YOU!

Please don’t ever look at my images and think I’m perfect. I spent two years learning to love working out in a bid to transform my mind and body and now at a really healthy size 10 it’s still not enough. And so I want to use my voice this year to make even a tiny change and stand up to online bullying. No matter what you do for a living this should not be part and parcel of the job, not to this extent. This is not the price of ‘fame’, this is happening people all over the world to varying degrees. You do not have to suffer alone.”

Seriously, everything bolded speaks to major psychological issues and a preoccupation with her weight that is just so far beyond normal it's actually scary. Stretched to look bigger than she is? Aren't they just actual pictures of her that just haven't been altered to make her look like a cartoon character? She's so distorted in her Instagram photos that she doesn't actually look human - certainly not human enough to support bodily function - and must be deleting comments/blocking posters 24/7 at this rate as there's just a stream of gushing posts underneath every single one despite the online media storm of the last few days.

Seriously Joanne if you're reading this - please get help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 amct23

I watched terries story and i used to like her but will def be unfollowing. At first I did think fair play being honest addressing it but then when she said "it's bullying!!" and pointing I felt as if she was shouting at me and i felt intimidated almost which is ridiculous! Fair enough you have opinions but no need to get passive aggressive while throwing the term around. I feel in general the "influencers" should have looked up the correct definition for bullying, which most definitely will include the fact that it is ongoing abuse that is suffered, not only one little comment. I actually feel sorry for real victims of bullying who get abuse day in day out and have no one as a voice for them and here the term is being thrown around and not warranted. I also thought Terrie was totally out of order when referring to those who said it isn't bullying i.e alluding to Claire balding and mermaidajade- who tbh are the only ones who are getting it right and saying what we are all thinking and making people feel better and more empowered. Also not wanting to hate on Terrie but I thought we can have our opinion about it not being bullying and you think it is, or no is that bullying too? She's not the only one I've been disappointed in, the editing fiasco is so unbelievable it's borderline ridiculous at this stage, how anyone can defend concrete picture evidence is beyond me. Everyone I know including myself are fed up of this bull**** and I do feel things may be changing which will probably result in these influencers being the source of their own downfall as a result of being rash, unprofessional and uneducated in their "campaign".

Bambi985 wrote: »
    Just read that now-deleted Instagram post by MUF, this girl has serious issues and I'd be worried about her if I was her family/friends:

Seriously, everything bolded speaks to major psychological issues and a preoccupation with her weight that is just so far beyond normal it's actually scary. Stretched to look bigger than she is? Aren't they just actual pictures of her that just haven't been altered to make her look like a cartoon character? She's so distorted in her Instagram photos that she doesn't actually look human - certainly not human enough to support bodily function - and must be deleting comments/blocking posters 24/7 at this rate as there's just a stream of gushing posts underneath every single one despite the online media storm of the last few days.

Seriously Joanne if you're reading this - please get help.

TBF, one of the pictures of her was made bigger to show how easy it is to manipulate pictures but that was just one picture. She seems to have zoned in on that and is claiming the rest are the same as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

amct23 wrote: »
    I watched terries story and i used to like her but will def be unfollowing. At first I did think fair play being honest addressing it but then when she said "it's bullying!!" and pointing I felt as if she was shouting at me and i felt intimidated almost which is ridiculous! Fair enough you have opinions but no need to get passive aggressive while throwing the term around. I feel in general the "influencers" should have looked up the correct definition for bullying, which most definitely will include the fact that it is ongoing abuse that is suffered, not only one little comment. I actually feel sorry for real victims of bullying who get abuse day in day out and have no one as a voice for them and here the term is being thrown around and not warranted. I also thought Terrie was totally out of order when referring to those who said it isn't bullying i.e alluding to Claire balding and mermaidajade- who tbh are the only ones who are getting it right and saying what we are all thinking and making people feel better and more empowered. Also not wanting to hate on Terrie but I thought we can have our opinion about it not being bullying and you think it is, or no is that bullying too? She's not the only one I've been disappointed in, the editing fiasco is so unbelievable it's borderline ridiculous at this stage, how anyone can defend concrete picture evidence is beyond me. Everyone I know including myself are fed up of this bull**** and I do feel things may be changing which will probably result in these influencers being the source of their own downfall as a result of being rash, unprofessional and uneducated in their "campaign".

That's 100% how I felt too, and I am so disappointed in her, so much so I had to unfollow. I was a victim of bullying for things beyond my control and I think that kind of carry on from her has done far more damage to actual victims then it has in helping anyone.

She was correct in saying everyone can have their own opinion, and obviously in her opinion it has been bullying. That's fine, but for her to be so aggressive in her opinion like that is intimidation, which is a form of bullying in itself.

They monetize their platform and directly make money off of their platform. That makes them a business. Every business owes a responsibility to their consumers and that is just fact. It is time they start to be held accountable for their ****.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    TBF, one of the pictures of her was made bigger to show how easy it is to manipulate pictures but that was just one picture. She seems to have zoned in on that and is claiming the rest are the same as well.

Which one? The swim suit one I imagine?

Emmser wrote: »
    Which one? The swim suit one I imagine?

There was two swimsuit pictures. The one of her lying down was modified. The one of her standing up is the original.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    There was two swimsuit pictures. The one of her lying down was modified. The one of her standing up is the original.

Thank you. Which picture was then stretched or made bigger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

GingerLily wrote: »
    The journalist has definitely been stalking us for a while, good article though
    Incredibly well written. Nail on the head.

Well written article, definitely owes a lot to the regular posters on here.

It actually is scary to think that teens / young people would be influenced by people who are so uncomfortable with their own appearance that they need to alter photos of themselves to that extent.

Emmser wrote: »
    Thank you. Which picture was then stretched or made bigger?

It's gone now.

The picture that was stretched hasn't been featured on this thread or on the Instagram page. These are all genuine pictures. One of the users over on another forum just did it as an experiment to show how easy it was to do but that photo hasn't been used publicly for reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

amct23 wrote: »

She belittled bullying why don’t these girls get that you are taking away from people who have actually been bullied who have done nothing to be bullied and comparing it to women who curate content photoshop beyond recognition portray a perfect existence show all their holidays off constantly put their children (and in Rosie Connolly’s case Even photoshopped her own child) and family all over social media to pay their bills rent etc (some of them decided to not work because there is big money to be earned from doing this ) and Terrie mcevoy thinks it’s bullying when people actually call them out or decide to discuss these people who are falsely advertising brands ,,

How dare she compare that to bullying did an 11 year old not kill herself because she didn’t feel
    She was good enough it’s these practices that make children like her feel like that and Terrie mcevoy has the cheek to stick her fingers up and basically say feck off how irresponsible of her..

She has a young following and she is portraying getting drunk and telling everyone your a mad yoke is the way to live Terrie is one big advertisement every single thing she does is an ad why are brands paying her to portray that image that’s also irresponsible

How many young people have had to be hospitalised and have died from drink over the years their parents have gone public about it to try to help others and people like terrie mcevoy who is an actual nurse who may have seen this firsthand is on snap constantly drunk telling everyone how mad she is ,, no Terrie it’s not just your platform you can do what you like it’s public first and foremost which you chose it to be you earn good money to use these platforms for advertising etc and secondly you are a nurse you have a duty of care in what content you show to these kids who look up to you

Also read the comments that have been written the majority is articulate and intelligent it’s not bullying

And don’t even start on the back pedalling reason she called out bullies because she saw a meme saying her dad paid her flights what complete bull****

Things will only change if the companies who they represent are contacted alongside the ASAI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I mean, how much editing and photshopping do you need to do so that in one pic you look like a size 8 fitness model, then in the second pic taken 3 days later for a photoshoot for a plus-size company, you look like, well, a plus-size model! You can be sure she also had make-up artists, applying make-up on her body to smooth out any imperfections and the photo would've been taken by a professional photographer using any tools they themselves might use, as is the case in any fashion photoshoot to make a model look their best. So what did she really look like around that time??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I mean, how much editing and photshopping do you need to do so that in one pic you look like a size 8 fitness model, then in the second pic taken 3 days later for a photoshoot for a plus-size company, you look like, well, a plus-size model! You can be sure she also had make-up artists, applying make-up on her body to smooth out any imperfections and the photo would've been taken by a professional photographer using any tools they themselves might use, as is the case in any fashion photoshoot. So what did she really look like around that time??

There's a third photo someone posted in this thread of the same image as the company one that she herself posted where she again looks completely different!! A good 2 sizes smaller and a different shape.

What does she actually look like? No one really knows!!
    The fan photos that Anna posted (2nd post on the thread) are the most likely as they are what she looks like on TV or in videos on Facebook that are posted by companies when she's doing pr work for them.

Advertisement