Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autechre - Exai

• 07-02-2013 10:25pm
    Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭

Thought there was a thread about this already but don't see one...

Anyway, got the Bleep/Warp email notification today that this can now be downloaded ahead of the physical release on the 4th of March. Couldn't wait to get home tonight and download, clearly I'm not alone as the feckin bleep site has crashed - it took my order successfully but when I try download it keeps crashing, boo... was looking forward to listening tonight!

Has anyone else managed to download yet? I assume iTunes is OK but I wanted to preorder the vinyl release and grab the download at the same time from Bleep.

http://autechre.ws/exai/

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Ok its now downloading but painfully slowly, reckon it will be the morning before I get to indulge... ah well, something to look forward to in the car!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

This is a stunning album. Best I've heard from Autechre in a long time, no question about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

I had a listen, start to finish, and I like it... definitely less impenetrable than other recent releases.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

I guess all the hard work I've put into Ae over the last few years, has paid off. Lp5 was the last album that I could get into straight away and enjoy. Everything else since then took time, lots of time and patience. I'm still trying to get my head around Confield but this new one is a pleasure to listen to.

There's a extended radio show going on tonight.

http://www.facebook.com/events/422593844498428/

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

Just seeing this thread now , I quite like Exai , I have been listening to EPs 1991-2002 so much ever since it was released, some excellent tracks on it.

• Advertisement

I'm a huge fan of the bootlegs of their concerts. It's as if they play a brand new album at every gig. I've collected quite a few and no two are the same (If that makes any sence) apart from being, deep, dark and brillant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I'm a huge fan of the bootlegs of their concerts. It's as if they play a brand new album at every gig. I've collected quite a few and no two are the same (If that makes any sence) apart from being, deep, dark and brillant.

Just out of interest, where do you acquire the bootlegs? Would love to listen to them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

jiltloop wrote: »
    Just out of interest, where do you acquire the bootlegs? Would love to listen to them.

MOD NOTE: If the bootlegs are acquired by illegal means, please dont post this on the forum.

Read you loud and clear, Jefe.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

Seen Autechre live just once , I think it was when they released Oversteps. Saw them in the button factory , Anodyne were the support , who were very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    MOD NOTE: If the bootlegs are acquired by illegal means, please dont post this on the forum.

Autechre regularly allow people to plug straight into the soundboard and record their gigs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 alanalien

daUbiq wrote: »
    Autechre regularly allow people to plug straight into the soundboard and record their gigs

Was that the case at District 8 recently? I'd love to hear that gig again!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

There's an audience recording of that gig on Soundcloud. Well I'm guessing it's an audience recording because of the noise of the crowd.

Edit: Actually it's on mixcloud
    Sorry can't post link.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Vinculus wrote: »
    There's an audience recording of that gig on Soundcloud. Well I'm guessing it's an audience recording because of the noise of the crowd.

Edit: Actually it's on mixcloud
    Sorry can't post link.

If you add the link but put spaces in around the '.'s, i'll fix it up for you. Or send it mt PM and then I'll jam it up.

Great!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 alanalien

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Here's the link ->

Awesome cheers!

This is an excellent recording from what must of been an incredible concert in Helsinki a couple of nights back.

Ae are playing a two hour radio show on NTSlive, every Thursday this month, starting this afternoon at 4pm.
    I smell a new album in the air.

https://www.nts.live/projects/autechre-nts-residency/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thank you, been too long..

• Advertisement

Here we go!

That was amazing! Seemed to be all new music too.
    Session 1
    https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1mMY4zqwChH5bZw-NxYyHpLEOpOmvpHyZ&export=download

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭buried

Me poor wallet. Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in

HomePageModule-13180-42856.jpg

https://autechre.bleepstores.com/

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Autechre are playing the National Concert Hall this July.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Dammit anyways another missed Electric Picnic opportunity, did anyone catch them at the Picnic in 2006?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Did anyone else make it to the gig last night? I had to leave early (caught an hour 20 mins), unfortunately.

It was interesting for sure. The music was very intense. It was a generative sort of beats and arrangements, piercing and brutal sounds for the first hour. It was kind of tough to listen to at times and not really that musical for large sections. Just as I was leaving it started to sound a bit more synthy and less percussive, oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Wasn't at the gig last night but your comments on what you got to listen to resonate with the couple of Autechre live performances I've seen.

I'm think I'm getting to the stage where I'm not too enthused about going to live performances of Autechre. Simply because when I enjoy listening to them it's more something I do at home or in the car as a solitary exercise. I'm not sure I'm able to enjoy the music in a live setting as for me it's not the ideal environment.

Essentially I find Autechre's output fascinating and challenging to listen to rather than actually listening to it for musical enjoyment if that makes sense. Of course the downside of not going to live performances is that you miss a unique set unless it's recorded and released later.

Yeah, I agree. I don't think sitting down in that environment is a great experience. I felt too aware of the crowd and external noises from the foyer. It was supposed to be in the dark but there is a lot of light from emergency signs and other things which is kind of distracting. It would have been better if they just had a few lights themselves for the audience to focus on.

Even for the support act, sitting down listening to techno/IDM type music in a concert hall is a bit surreal and strange.

The sound quality at the gig was pretty good but not really like listening on a decent system in a small room. There was far too much bass and that took away from the detail of the sound. Too much reverberation from the space made it sound muddy as well.

Overall, I was happy to see them and experience it but I expected something a bit more. Their output on NTS and their later albums have been a bit more palatable than the ultra abstract albums from before. I guess I was expecting something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭buried

All these live soundboards up on the Bleepstore are so good. Any of ye get any? I have the Atlanta, Miami, Chicago and the New York ones so far, going to get another three now for tonight. Amazing sound quality. I have them turned up to 11 on the thing here and no distortion or nothing. Great zone out fluid edge magic

ryqo9yr.jpg

Makes me regret not going last summer but I was afraid of having to sit and not being able to get up to go out to the jacks and not get back in.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

That's the last 20 mins of the Dublin gig. Possibly the better part of the gig. First part was hard to get into.

I like those live sets though. I think it was much more accessible music.

Advertisement