Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me an album/Name an album.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Which Broken Social Scene solo albums would be considered best?

Have the Do Make Say Think stuff but didn't enjoy it so much. Also have Feist's albums, only alright. Have the feeling that KC Accidental may be the heart of BSS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Kold wrote: »
    Which Broken Social Scene solo albums would be considered best?

Have the Do Make Say Think stuff but didn't enjoy it so much. Also have Feist's albums, only alright. Have the feeling that KC Accidental may be the heart of BSS.
    I agree, in fact I think Silver Fish Eyelashes has been on my 'Recently Played' yoke for a couple of years now..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

To be honest, although it meandered a bit, my 'filler' thread was more of a query on the state of music and whether or not bands were still making no-filler albums or if this was just a perception coloured by the passage of time. That said, that particular theme had more or less blown itself out in the thread.

I reckon this thread here will be a bit too broad to be of any real use, but time will tell.
    I liked the thread in the TV forum where posters would name a program, describe it a bit and list similar artists in a 'if you like this...' format, but then again last.fm and allmusic.com do exactly that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

To be honest, although it meandered a bit, my 'filler' thread was more of a query on the state of music and whether or not bands were still making no-filler albums or if this was just a perception coloured by the passage of time. That said, that particular theme had more or less blown itself out in the thread.

I reckon this thread here will be a bit too broad to be of any real use, but time will tell.
    I liked the thread in the TV forum where posters would name a program, describe it a bit and list similar artists in a 'if you like this...' format, but then again last.fm and allmusic.com do exactly that.
    Yes but i get where loadgoat was coming from. Some poster asked for music that were jingly jangly and other posters just completely ignored the OP and posted their favourite bands or whatever.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

We can fine tune as we go along, over the last couple of months there has been alot of 'recommend me an album' threads in one guise or other. Would be grateful if people went with this for the moment.

@pick, i can see what the filler thread had hoped to do, but as you can acknowledge it went a bit off the rails, if you want i can re-open it but i might tidy it up a bit first.

Feedback appreciated but if it's going to go off topics PM Jeff and myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

I think the recommendations would be enhanced by including a link to a review. You can't go wrong with allmusic.com - great reviews and you also get a tracklist for the album and a chance to browse the artist's other works.

My recommendation for now is The Posies - 'Frosting on the Beater' - an absolute gem of a guitar pop album from 1993 which doesn't get a fraction of the recognition it deserves. Unfortunately none of their many other albums come close to this.... here's the allmusic review

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:kvfqxq8gldte

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

lordgoat wrote: »
    We can fine tune as we go along, over the last couple of months there has been alot of 'recommend me an album' threads in one guise or other. Would be grateful if people went with this for the moment.

@pick, i can see what the filler thread had hoped to do, but as you can acknowledge it went a bit off the rails, if you want i can re-open it but i might tidy it up a bit first.

Feedback appreciated but if it's going to go off topics PM Jeff and myself.

Considering the rate at which threads get off topic and get hijacked and considering that new threads seem to get more people engaged in discussion (IMO) why is B.ie going down this route?

Seems like extra work with very little to recommend it, again IMO.

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Considering the rate at which threads get off topic and get hijacked and considering that new threads seem to get more people engaged in discussion (IMO) why is B.ie going down this route?

Seems like extra work with very little to recommend it, again IMO.
    In fairness Milan I think the balance is right. Threads do go off topic a bit but none of them have been hijacked from what i can see. But we dont need five different recommend me an album type threads. Good call there which was needed and this thread will do the business for general queries.

One last OT post - can you merge those closed threads into this one? There were a couple of ongoing discussions which were cut off.

Ok, gimmeh some recommendations for some nice music to relax to:
    I've been listening to Jonsi & Alex's 'Riceboy Sleeps' and love it, in fact it's just perfect for sleepytime.
    So anything with that kind of atmosphere, or something like Beach House's 'Teen Dream' (slightly more 'active' for want of a better term)

• Advertisement

Julie Cruise of Twin Peaks fame a great one to chill out to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭mosstin

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Ok, gimmeh some recommendations for some nice music to relax to:
    I've been listening to Jonsi & Alex's 'Riceboy Sleeps' and love it, in fact it's just perfect for sleepytime.
    So anything with that kind of atmosphere, or something like Beach House's 'Teen Dream' (slightly more 'active' for want of a better term)

If you like Jonsi and Alex then you should be taken by Mum's Finally We Are No-one from 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Ok, gimmeh some recommendations for some nice music to relax to

The Cinematic Orchestra - 'Ma Fleur'
    Great album to unwind to. Jazzy electronica. First track is stunning

Hunter Gatherer - 'I Dreamed I Was A Footstep In The Trail Of A Murderer'
    Creepy electronica......its not 'nice' music but its very captivating. Especially late at night.

Postishead - 'Dummy'
    One of my favorite ever albums. I've listened to this millions of times and it always puts me in a nice relaxed mood.

Múm - 'Finally We Are No One'
    Icelandic band. They make beautiful playful electronic music. Cant stop listening to them at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

mosstin wrote: »
    If you like Jonsi and Alex then you should be taken by Mum's Finally We Are No-one from 2002.

Haha! You read my mind!

Their 'Go Go Smear The Poison Ivy' album is great too

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Kid V wrote: »
    Creepy electronica......its not 'nice' music but its very captivating. Especially late at night.

Been meaning to check this out for a while now, will let you know what i think of it.

@Milan. It's not board.ie, it's just an alt/indie thing, basically we're sick of seeing the same thread re-appear after a couple of weeks. I haven't heard any major grumblings from regulars in here.

The locked threads will be merged in later this evening.

No more feedback posts on thread, PM myself and jeff from here on, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

If you're looking a simple enough album that has some great tunes then "With Love and Squalor" by We are Scientists" is for you.

Julie Cruise of Twin Peaks fame a great one to chill out to.
    mosstin wrote: »
    The Cinematic Orchestra - 'Ma Fleur'
    Great album to unwind to. Jazzy electronica. First track is stunning

Postishead - 'Dummy'
    One of my favorite ever albums. I've listened to this millions of times and it always puts me in a nice relaxed mood.

Múm - 'Finally We Are No One'
    Icelandic band. They make beautiful playful electronic music. Cant stop listening to them at the moment
    Haha! You read my mind!

Their 'Go Go Smear The Poison Ivy' album is great too
    Thanks everyone!

Already have Dummy and Go Go Smear The Poison Ivy, but have now got Ma Fleur and Finally We Are No-one, about to have a listen!

Excellent idea for a thread. One that immediatly springs to mind is High Violet by the National.

It hasn't even been released yet! Kind of premature, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

It hasn't even been released yet! Kind of premature, no?

It has been streaming on the New York Times site and NPR though so people have been able to listen to it for a few weeks.

[edit]

I thought The National's album this wasn't out for a few weeks yet but I picked it up on CD (remember those?) in Tower this afternoon

[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Another excellent album is The Night Before by James excellent live band but have not stopped playing this for the last couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 deadshark

I haven't heard a lot of albums lately that have that "good from beginning to end" quality, but here are some from the past 10-15 years.

The Negro Problem - Joys and Concerns
    Elliott Smith - XO
    Jason Falkner - Can You Still Feel?
    PJ Harvey - Rid of Me
    Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

I have a few more but I don't want to Tolstoy up my second post. And I've kind of lost interest in searching out new, great music. Probably because I'm an old bag who's too busy yelling at kids to get off of her lawn. But I'll just say it's because the music isn't as good.

Okay this one for Pavement fans. Have heard about this band off and on in last year. Compilation of their stuff out this week. Which album best represents their work Is review below fair on them?

http://www.uncut.co.uk/music/pavement/reviews/14036

• Registered Users Posts: 9 deadshark

Okay this one for Pavement fans. Have heard about this band off and on in last year. Compilation of their stuff out this week. Which album best represents their work Is review below fair on them?

That review is little scattered but it's generally on the money from my personal point of view. Slanted and Enchanted, to me, is their best. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain was more accessible, but it didn't have Summer Babe on it, so it loses that fight. But with 5 songs from each going on that compilation, I'd assume that that's where their "greatest hits" are coming from. Which is kind of hilarious since they didn't even have one.

I absolutely hated Wowee Zowee when I first heard it. I haven't listened to it in about 15 years, so I might feel differently if I heard it today. That's when I kind of fell out of love with Pavement. Though I did buy Brighten the Corners, I think I only gave it half a listen.

I guess that doesn't really help you much, but I'd say go for Slanted and Crooked Rain first if you're just getting to know Pavement. If you don't dig them, they're easy to sell. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Seen pavement last week in Tripod and it was amazing. They played for 2 hours and did 2 encores. Just amazing!!!!! My favourite album is Crooked Rain and then probably slanted and enchanted. They also have a new best Of album out called Quarantine The Past: The Best Of Pavement so maybe check that out too.

But Crooked Rain is a must to check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭mosstin

deadshark wrote: »
    That review is little scattered but it's generally on the money from my personal point of view. Slanted and Enchanted, to me, is their best. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain was more accessible, but it didn't have Summer Babe on it, so it loses that fight. But with 5 songs from each going on that compilation, I'd assume that that's where their "greatest hits" are coming from. Which is kind of hilarious since they didn't even have one.

I absolutely hated Wowee Zowee when I first heard it. I haven't listened to it in about 15 years, so I might feel differently if I heard it today. That's when I kind of fell out of love with Pavement. Though I did buy Brighten the Corners, I think I only gave it half a listen.

I guess that doesn't really help you much, but I'd say go for Slanted and Crooked Rain first if you're just getting to know Pavement. If you don't dig them, they're easy to sell. :p

Just to muddy the waters still further - Wowee Zowee is a wonderful album. Perfectly showcased the band's ability to try their hand/chance their arm at anything and largely succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

I love this album so much! I highly recommend it too.
    Lovely and atmospheric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I'd recommend Galaxie 500-On Fire to anyone; really great American shoegaze-y stuff from the late '80s.

As for the Pavement debate, I'd go Slanted and Enchanted myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MrSir

For any Arcade Fire fans check out Neutral Milk Hotel.There a 90's band with only 2 albums but there brilliant.Also listen to My Bloody Valentine's Loveless album.Probably the best Irish album of all time.

MrSir wrote: »
    For any Arcade Fire fans check out Neutral Milk Hotel.There a 90's band with only 2 albums but there brilliant.Also listen to My Bloody Valentine's Loveless album.Probably the best Irish album of all time.
    Ghost town from the Radiators from Space probably the best irish album of all time but wont go there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MrSir

Ghost town from the Radiators from Space probably the best irish album of all time but wont go there ;)
    I'll give them a listen.And if I want we WILL go there(jokey sass)

Advertisement