Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Русский язык в Р&#1080

• 15-12-2014 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Всем привет,

У меня есть вопрос про языке в Риге, если вы хотите чтобы помоч меня. надо говорить по-латышски в Риге? Я только понимаю немного по Русский, но я не знаю латышский.

Если я познакомить с новыми людьми в Риге, можно говорить по Русский, или лучший говорить по-латышски?

Спасибо.

Hey guys,

I was thinking of taking a trip to Riga soon and had a quick question about the language there... I know that there is a sizeable Russian population in the city, but would everyone else at least understand me if I spoke Russian?

What's the proper etiquette in a bilingual city? Would I be ok walking up to staff in shops or restaurants or even to people in a social setting and saying "привет"?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

You may be better off asking if they speak Russian in Latvian first, sure it wouldn't be hard to learn the phrase.
    Many ethnic Russians in Latvia are considered non-citizens http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-citizens_%28Latvia%29

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

I agree with the advice given by Mooman, although my Russian is (even at a rudimentary level) better than my Latvian.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

davwain wrote: »
    I agree with the advice given by Mooman, although my Russian is (even at a rudimentary level) better than my Latvian.

Sorry, that would be Moomat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shemurr

I am Latvian and I can assure you that most Latvian's speak Russian. In fact, 40 something percent of Latvia's population are Russian speaking people and the government wanted to make Russian the second language in Latvia but unfortunately it was not approved. Russian and English, together with French or German are thought in all schools in Latvia. So, Im sure that you will find an effective way to communicate with the people there.

Advertisement