Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Renewable energy

Options
  • 22-09-2020 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys I'm new here so sorry if this topic has been over discussed. Im an electrician and it has been recently brought to my attention that all new installations are fitted with the consideration of the addition to alternative energy.
    How are we to go about this?
    Are we fun a cable up to the attack for the future installation of a solar panel?
    Any information would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ninja1000 wrote: »
    it has been recently brought to my attention that all new installations are fitted with the consideration of the addition to alternative energy.

Where did you hear of this requirement?
    What exactly does it say?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ninja1000

2011 wrote: »
    Where did you hear of this requirement?
    What exactly does it say?

electric(dot)ie/whats-new-in-irelands-national-rules-for-electrical-installations/

This is just a copy and paste from the above page

Appendix 8 of the new rules will give guidance on Energy Efficiency, which should be incorporated into the design process. With Europe striving to reduce carbon emissions, Appendix 8 proposes that designs consider copper losses in the electrical installation by analysing primary electrical loads early in the design process. Reducing cable lengths and sizing appropriately will reduce energy losses. The addition of alternative energy sources (examples – CHP, solar photovoltaic, wind, biofuel) and future technologies (examples – electric vehicle charging, heat pumps) are to be considered by the designer, to ensure that the electrical installation can adapt as required over its life.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The text above states what the electrical designer must “consider”. This is very different from actually doing it.

Tell the brickies to insulate the house better and cable heating won't be an energy loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Whats the thoughts on future proofing the electrical connection to houses?

Do all current connections have provisions for higher demand from electrical sources for heating/motoring etc?

The death of fossil fuels/reciprocating engines will surely create extra demand, is there any step to take to negate this?

New build questions btw

• Advertisement

I'm putting a 32A plug on my house so I can power it with or grid tie to my truck.

Solar's a bittova no-brainer. Even without subsidy ~2kW will offset a moderate baseload so you're not spending ~€1 per day on refrigeration and maintained loads.

Advertisement