Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Track of the Day

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

A bit more from some of the people from that documentary. Most of it was from before my time but I still enjoyed it. Must be so **** being younger at the moment with no clubs at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Oooh. New Michael Mayer. Yes please!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

l’d typically be more into the e-fuelled sounds of 1990-92, but recently (maybe its an age thing) I’ve been digging out some slower, more chilled tunes from my collection. This one in particular is beaut

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

ianuss wrote: »
    A bit more from some of the people from that documentary. Most of it was from before my time but I still enjoyed it. Must be so **** being younger at the moment with no clubs at all.

Delighted to hear Francois call out the ‘Superclubs’ and name the POD as one of the negatives that killed the Rave at the end of the millennium.

I have always felt exactly what he said, towards the end of the 90’s these Venues that were all slick and polished, elevating the DJ to a status that was the focal point of the rave was a mistake as it changed the dynamic from it being about the atmosphere created on the floor between the Ravers.

The Olympic, there was a stage in front of the DJ where everyone faced the crowd, the DJ was concealed behind the people standing on the stage.
    The Asylum, place was so small DJ could not be seen at all unless you were right outside the DJ box.
    Sides, DJ box was elevated right up and DJ was not visible from Dancefloor

The Rave is about the music, the drugs, the people around you and when it all comes together how that elevates you to a place that feels out of the world (seriously)

One thing I didn’t like about the actual documentary, near the end, If I recall the comment correctly (it was about a year ago i watched it so i am guessing at it), Kate Butler says,

‘You can keep your Trance in the sitting room, and we will keep our Techno in the kitchen, and never the twain shall meet’

That kind of snobbery misses a point about the Rave, once you start carving the people and the music up into us and them, you have lost the point of the Rave.

There are some excellent Trance tracks, and in a Rave all are welcome.

Check this out,

I think you can overthink it a bit there Asylumkey.

The reality is that venues are often driven by locality and that the music is often driven by its popularity and its' supply.

For example they used the example of the Temple Theatre being "clubby", or even say the System. This is all true, but their popularity was driven by their offer. Sides, the Olympic and the Asylum ( I was never there ) were essentially sausage fests with gangs of stare eyed monsters looping around the gaff, in brief great craic. But be honest there was 1 bird to every 10 blokes. Thing was lads were not going raving to get their hole, they had yokes to be chomping:).

I think as the scene progressed it naturally attracted more birds, but they want to dress up in club gear and look cool etc. Be honest a silver shiny trackie and a pair of Reeboks is not a "cool" look, at all.

The scene morphed and developed and eventually fizzled out, you can see that in every venue they detailed in the doc, it was s similar pattern. Club opens, plays cool new sounds, becomes popular, has a few great nights, the gangsters cop on there is money to be made, there is killings, Garda busts , the club closes. It happened everywhere.

The branding of music can be over emphasised also. It is such a subjective thing. The reality is that different sounds/styles trigger different emotions and popularities, and thank phuck for that because otherwise it would just be bland. I have gotten out me wee barney listening to Madonna albums, it all depends on the mood.

I think you can overthink it a bit there Asylumkey.

I totally respect your view on it, and who am I to say the way you see it is not accurate……

In regards the Olympic, Sides and Asylum being 10 blokes to one bird as you put it, I wouldn’t concur, but you are correct about the reason for frequenting the venues.

Nightclubs were places people went to be part of the mating rituals that come with that age, the Raves transcended that, pure unadulterated energy, ecstasy, and acceptance of each other.

The drugs and the gangs were there from the start in the Asylum, it was always a rough shop, but the atmosphere, and as Francois put it in the Notes on Rave documentary, the intensity of the atmosphere was unrivalled.

Just everything about the place came together to create something very unique,

Sound system
    DJ’s
    Layout
    Building
    Lighting
    Drugs
    People

And any track that sounded good on big speakers was banged out, I heard played in there,

Westbam – Celebration generation
    Atlantic Ocean – Waterfall
    U2 – Lemon
    The grid – Swamp thing

All went down a treat.

Perhaps I am just clinging to the original experience, I know it can never be created again.

I think as the scene progressed it naturally attracted more birds, but they want to dress up in club gear and look cool etc. Be honest a silver shiny trackie and a pair of Reeboks is not a "cool" look, at all.

I never commented on this part.

When you were packed into the Rave and flying, what anyone was wearing became irrelevant, that’s the turning point really, when you are going to be seen looking good, you are falling back into that old societal ritual which was about ego and your peers perception of you.

All I wore into the Asylum was runners for comfort dancing, pair of jeans and a Tshirt that would most likely be gone after the first hour because it was sweltering in the place.

No one gave a **** about vanity, it was about the positive tension between the Ravers.

• Advertisement

I heard the same about the sound system at the Asylum, a great place to play sounds by all accounts.

I also heard it was a dangerous kip and that the 3rd floor back room had people banging up, chasing dragons and all sorts..... hardly party time?

You can see why places such as the POD, Temple of Sound or the System existed. They may have been " clubby " but they were attractive to people who wanted to dress up and do their thingamajiggies in relative peace.

I can remember getting me head wrecked at raves with lads mauling me bird... off their chops. The shoulder rubbing got painful after a while. It basically became an avenue for a groping session.

You never got away rubbing the backs and shoulders off a part-time model with a heavy boyfriend down the "clubs"? But that is the way it went.

There were still great night in the bigger venues, Carl Cox at the RedBox stands out for me. I didn't get home till Tuesday morning.

I heard the same about the sound system at the Asylum, a great place to play sounds by all accounts.

I also heard it was a dangerous kip and that the 3rd floor back room had people banging up, chasing dragons and all sorts..... hardly party time?

That’s all true,

But the main Dancefloor downstairs was incredible, the power the place produced when the likes of Ed Case or Jay Carey were playing at say 5am and banging out a track like Instant Zen – Plutonia, unreal.

You can see why places such as the POD, Temple of Sound or the System existed. They may have been " clubby " but they were attractive to people who wanted to dress up and do their thingamajiggies in relative peace.

I can remember getting me head wrecked at raves with lads mauling me bird... off their chops. The shoulder rubbing got painful after a while. It basically became an avenue for a groping session.

You never got away rubbing the backs and shoulders off a part-time model with a heavy boyfriend down the "clubs"? But that is the way it went.

There were still great night in the bigger venues, Carl Cox at the RedBox stands out for me. I didn't get home till Tuesday morning.

Ahh, shoulder rubbing……. & Vicks!!!

If your telling me that you never managed to frequent the aforementioned venues, I am guessing perhaps due to age, if that so by the time you were out clubbing the Ecstasy had also taken a nose dive in quality by then.

The ecstasy that was about in 1992 – 1993 was top quality, even by the time we got to 1994 when the Asylum was in its peak the Ecstasy had already begun to be poorer in quality.

Getting someone rub your shoulders when you were out of it on a Mad Bastard, Yellow Callie, or original white doves created an unbelievable sensation that created that so much talked about Rush.

You would feel it all the way from your head right through every part of your body and it would grip you, I remember Clearly in the Olympic the Rush being so powerful it would literally make some people pass out, they would be carried by a few to the toilets and water be thrown all over their face etc until they came around and then back out for more.

After 1994 the Ecstasy was still good, but you needed a few of them to last all night and no way they could produce that power that the pills a few years earlier did.

I heard Liam Dollard mention the smell of Poppers in Sides, Fu$k me the rush that popper gave you was lethal, I was wary of it when flying as it could literally flatten you.

I was there :)..... great gig btw, on acid and tooting lots a banger. Madison Square garden.

I did a few summers in London. but from memory the Asylum was closed around 93/94 ish? At that stage you could go to the Temple of Sound, The Ormonde, The kitchen , the POD , UFO etc etc. Amongst other nights.

At the end of the day clubbers voted with their feat. The Temple had a great sound system and the POD was built for it. The kitchen was a great night out also ( despite the VIP room ). It was far easier going to these places ( with ample supplies of dancing women ) as opposed to getting stared out of it by skangers in Christmas jumpers and hi-tec runners. It got worse than the league of Ireland ffs. Shels fans over here, Hoops and St Pats over there :p.

I just think cribbing about pill potency and venue is a bit of a drag if I am honest. We were all real lucky to have a decent scene and it was great while it lasted... and nothing lasts forever.

and nothing lasts forever.

On that note......

Some great images in this that really reflect what it was like.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Sublime melody...

I just think cribbing about pill potency and venue is a bit of a drag if I am honest. We were all real lucky to have a decent scene and it was great while it lasted... and nothing lasts forever.

There's nothing anyone can do about when they grew up and when they went clubbing. There'll always be that nostalgia for the earliest days but times change and clubbing culture and punters' tastes change.

I started clubbing around 1999-2000 and went to Temple Theatre and Redbox and had great nights. Then I started clubbing again around 2007-2010 in Twisted Pepper. TP was absolutely class around that time. Dark room, low ceiling, great sound system. But eventually the numbers just dwindled and it went away.

There's nothing anyone can do about when they grew up and when they went clubbing. There'll always be that nostalgia for the earliest days but times change and clubbing culture and punters' tastes change.

I started clubbing around 1999-2000 and went to Temple Theatre and Redbox and had great nights. Then I started clubbing again around 2007-2010 in Twisted Pepper. TP was absolutely class around that time. Dark room, low ceiling, great sound system. But eventually the numbers just dwindled and it went away.

There is still a scene there. It just depends on peoples circumstances.

For me I cannot afford ( financially or mentally) to go out dancing for 3 nights in a row anymore. I am a disaster once I neck a few , I won't stop until they are all gone. I love it though.

In saying that I still love searching out a venue where I know there is decent sounds and I can get off my barney and enjoy myself. It is essential that people enjoy their lives.

For me electronic music is as strong as it ever has been. It is also much more available. You can google your favourite toons now and be listening to them in a metasecond.

Gone are the days of getting a bus into town for an hour and rumbling up to the Abbey Mall or Crown Alley or Merchants Arch and asking for the one that goes like do do do den den den dah dah ( yeah !! the one with the bass line that goes de de de de boom ? )etc. Happy times:).

• Advertisement

Dark room, low ceiling, great sound system. But eventually the numbers just dwindled and it went away.

Sounds like the Asylum except it was rammed until it was forced to close.

I recall a few times being lost in a haze by the huge bass bins in the Asylum right beside this image on the wall,

527795.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

Not so much a track of the day but i just love the craziness, carefree of these raves in France. Brings me back for sure..
    filmed at 9am, inside an abandoned warehouse on the outskirts of Paris. Location details were announced just a few hours before opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Banger

Gone are the days of getting a bus into town for an hour and rumbling up to the Abbey Mall or Crown Alley or Merchants Arch and asking for the one that goes like do do do den den den dah dah ( yeah !! the one with the bass line that goes de de de de boom ? )etc. Happy times:).

Ahh yes, a favorite spot of mine i bought many a record in was Spin Dizzy records in Georges street arcade,

I would head into town on a Saturday morning catching the record shop as it just opened after being up all Friday night, scour through records for ages, when you have a few selected that you don’t know what they are but like the label (NOOM was always as safe bet and it would be like finding a bit of gold when you came across one) you then waited for the single turntable that was over at the counter to be free from the punter that was currently checking out his selection and then dive onto it, listening and moving the needle to the locations on the record where you could see the changes in the track because of the ‘noisiness’ of the grooves, you would have picked out about 10+ records and maybe bought 4 max.

You always felt really good about yourself when you took the time to do all of that and were headed home about 10 or 11am with a small bounty to be shared at some point in the coming days or weeks.

Skin yourself up a joint on the empty back seat top of the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

........but like the label (NOOM was always as safe bet and it would be like finding a bit of gold when you came across one)

I know its bad when your quoting yourself, but these are two of the NOOM tracks i still recall stumbling across in Spin Dizzy all those years ago that i still have, i was so thrilled when i actually heard it on the turntable at the counter at what i had just found, it was like you had just trumped everybody else in the shop with your find and also looking at the guy serving thinking in your head (I bet he wouldn't part with it if he knew what this record was!!)

nthclare wrote: »
    I was in the Cork scene in the 90's Sir Henry's was my gig..........Great times :)
    Vice Versa.... i remember always hearing from lads about Sir Henrys in cork, but never made it down.............

Wow, the auld brain cells are not what they used to be,

I forgot to mention, there was a Sir Henrys room set up in Homelands 2000 inside the actual mosney complex, stumbled across it by mistake and i remember spending about an hour in their with a mate of mine that day and had a great buzz, that had completely slipped out of my mind until i came across it here, this is the closest i ever came to Sir Henrys :)

https://909originals.com/2020/04/29/it-was-20-years-ago-today-how-sir-henrys-came-to-rock-homelands-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Recently reissued 'Room Service' by The Living Room which is an Orlando Voorn album from 1994... mostly not for the dancefloor tunes but some could creep in, at least for building. Could sit beside the likes of The Black Dog, Stasis, B12 etc from that era.

Anyway, absolutey fantastic album - 2LP available on Bandcamp:

https://shop.mentalgroove.ch/album/room-service-3

Love this from it...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I know its bad when your quoting yourself, but these are two of the NOOM tracks i still recall stumbling across in Spin Dizzy all those years ago that i still have, i was so thrilled when i actually heard it on the turntable at the counter at what i had just found, it was like you had just trumped everybody else in the shop with your find and also looking at the guy serving thinking in your head (I bet he wouldn't part with it if he knew what this record was!!)

I loved Noom too, absolutely buy on sight label back then. I will never forget my hunt for the remix ep that features this track - hounded Billy in Abbey for ages for it and I clearly recall the day I walked in and he said "I have that Noom remix ep for you Dave" - a special memory, one of my favourite on Noom, incredible track.

Advertisement